What to breed Dr. Who heifer to? (New Options!!!) Please Vote!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

What to breed Dr. Who heifer to?

• Doc owned by Sievers

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Highlander (Lautner and Hunter)

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Shiver

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Tracken Norman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jakes Proud Jazz(Shorthorn)

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Please List)

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Majors Money Man

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

herefordfootball

I had this heifer for sale and didnt sell her for the asking price, got a couple of lower offers on her, but if I sold her at those prices I would automatically lose money. So I decided to keep her and breed her. She is sired by Dr. Who and out of a Heat Seeker cow. She currently wieghs 1100 lbs. and has a hip height of 49.5 inches. I think she should be able to handle a 80 lb. calf but probaly nothing much bigger than that. I have included pics and video. If you vote other please list the bull you think would work. Oh and I wanna stay away from double breeding, TH and PHA carriers are fine though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU2pbSYCzWA

Attachments

• Dr. Who.jpg
    Dr. Who.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 567
  • Dr. Who 2.jpg
    Dr. Who 2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 555

CPL

Whatever bull you choose, make sure he will correct her hock and make her more fluid in her movement. Very nice heifer, but its distracting that she's restricted in her movement.

herefordfootball

CPL said:
Whatever bull you choose, make sure he will correct her hock and make her more fluid in her movement. Very nice heifer, but its distracting that she's restricted in her movement.
She doesnt move the best, although I had just clipped her before the video and she had been standing for a while, but yeah she doesnt move the best even in the pasture. Shiver sounds like a really good idea on her didnt really think about him ???.

TJ

If you are going to throw out Highlander, then my vote is for Doc, but it would be for the Doc owned by "TJ", with the last name, "Holliday".   ;)   Yes, I am being serious & no, I am not joking.  I think that combo could make a stunning calf, that comes easy for quick rebreeding.  The resulting frame size would be around a 4, but I think that the calf would be rather good.  And Doc Holliday is extremely sound & he will sire some real good hair for a Lowline.  You could sell it as a 1/2 Lowline and I've been told that some of the best clubby donors are frame 4's.  Anyway, I can understand if you don't want frame 4 offspring, but if she were mine, that's what I would do.  But, of course, I am going to say that, because that is what I am doing.  And who knows, I might just buy the calf from you, because that is a nice heifer.   ;)

TJ      

herefordfootball

TJ said:
If you are going to throw out Highlander, then my vote is for Doc, but it would be for the Doc owned by "TJ", with the last name, "Holliday".   ;)   Yes, I am being serious & no, I am not joking.  I think that combo could make a stunning calf, that comes easy for quick rebreeding.  The resulting frame size would be around a 4, but I think that the calf would be rather good.  And Doc Holliday is extremely sound & he will sire some real good hair for a Lowline.  You could sell it as a 1/2 Lowline and I've been told that some of the best clubby donors are frame 4's.  Anyway, I can understand if you don't want frame 4 offspring, but if she were mine, that's what I would do.  But, of course, I am going to say that, because that is what I am doing.  And who knows, I might just buy the calf from you, because that is a nice heifer.   ;)

TJ      

Man that would probaly be one mean lowline in the showring. Whats the lowest percent they can be to qualify for a lowline class, or low percent class?

TJ

50% for percentage Lowline shows.  They are going to start registering down to 25%, but 50% is as low as you can go in the open Lowline Shows at the majors... NAILE, NILE, NWSS, A. Royal, Houston, etc.  At the NAILE we show 50% bulls, heifer & steers. 

Honestly, I think it could make a tremendous Lowline show calf, especially with the DR Who/Heat Seeker background.   

jbw

I had a Shiver calf out of a hfr alot like yours. Note I said had. Huge calf, I would not recommend him on hfrs. I like the calves just not out of hfrs. I do not loke pulling calves, I haven't even pulled a HW. I would suggest an angus. What is the Doc that you mentioned???

herefordfootball

jbw said:
I had a Shiver calf out of a hfr alot like yours. Note I said had. Huge calf, I would not recommend him on hfrs. I like the calves just not out of hfrs. I do not loke pulling calves, I haven't even pulled a HW. I would suggest an angus. What is the Doc that you mentioned???
He is an occ doctor out of a simmy angus cow.

MYT Farms

jbzdad said:
OCC Homer, get a live calf and live momma, next year....Hotline? to upsize, or habenero if don't want to go maine
Had a 72 lb Homer the other day. First calvers just pop out the calf and get right up. Love that kind of calving ease. Homer calves are pretty decent phenotypically, too. Wish I had a pic of a heck of a good pasture raised yearling Homer heifer. Thick, deep, and just broody. Here's my first Homer calf. Mama is a Emblazon 27C daughter.

Attachments

• 623#2.JPG
    623#2.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 135

jbw

Is Doc the bull Wade Rodgers sold to Harkema, If it is those calves are AWESOME, but, don't use him on hfrs either, WAYYY to stout for hfrs. I know 4 guys that bred hfrs to him and had trainwrecks, the ones they saved were awesome, I use him on wet twos.

lowann

herefordfootball said:
I'm definitley going to take this into consideration. :)
My Daughter got a pretty nice little, and I mean little heifer calf out of Highlander/Sin City first time calf for her. 60lbs maybe 65lbs, at most, but she is growing like a weed.
I guess our thoughts on first time heifers is getting a small, but live calf.
I will try and get a picture of her, she's a fast little cus.

Jill

I normally don't error on the side of caution, but your heifer appears to be a heavy fed really clubby market type heifer, I would suggest you use the highest calving ease bull you can find and then you may still have problems.  I would also have her pelvic measured, she was meant to be a steer and those kind sometimes just aren't meant to be cows, don't mean to be harsh, but it may save you a great deal of expense and heartache down the road.

herefordfootball

Jill said:
I normally don't error on the side of caution, but your heifer appears to be a heavy fed really clubby market type heifer, I would suggest you use the highest calving ease bull you can find and then you may still have problems.  I would also have her pelvic measured, she was meant to be a steer and those kind sometimes just aren't meant to be cows, don't mean to be harsh, but it may save you a great deal of expense and heartache down the road.
Youre absolutely right she is very clubby and kinda steery. But we bought her to produce steers and if thats what she ends up throwing we'll be right in the the markiet. As for her handling the 120 lb steer calf I'm not overly concerned because we're going to breed to a calving ease, flush to clubby, and when we're done flushing breed back to a calving ease. ;D

Chap

Use Doc owned by Sievers and Maas.  He is the bull that Wade Rodgers owned and sold to Harkema.  I am breeding him to my clubby bred heifers.  Saw some last weekend and WOW are they nice for calving ease deals.  THey are stouter than most calving ease calves, but all i have seen have come small.  Keep in mind that very few bulls are sure fire 100% especially when breeding to clubby genetics, but this bull is sure made right and gives you a better chance to have an unassisted calf that is worth a premium in the end than most other "calving ease" sires.  I have attached his recent ad in pdf format.

Attachments

• MAAS SHOW CATTLE - DOC.pdf
    360.8 KB · Views: 135

jalebe

I would go with highlander if she was mine i have personally seen him lots of time and also about 20 others out of his sire and they are all SOUND, Hairy, big boned, deep bodied cattle. and the cow that highlander is one of the most consistent cows(every calf has been at least $3500). So for small calves that will be marketable i would say he would be the choice. and know i didnt raise him and dont own him. just think if bred to heavy muscled thick cattle you could have something really nice.

TMJ Show Cattle

Listen very carefully: TOTAL SOLUTION calving ease deluxe with WMW and HABENERO. You will get a saleable calf,and a small calf at birth. Several bulls will work, TS is proven above and beyond.