what to breed her to?

Help Support Steer Planet:

nosejob8807

I don't post alot, but have seen ya'll know some good bulls out there. I'm going to try and post a picture, we'll see how it goes. I'm wanting to know what to breed her to. She just calved sept. 3.. and thats her heifer calf (first calf). wanting to try a maine bull on her, not really into steers, im shooting for heifers. shes a little short for my taste, so maybe a bull that would add a bit for height. just seeing what I could maybe breed her to. her heifer calf I don't kinda care for, but we'll see how she turns out haha.. but she did come out really small (about 50 lbs), which makes me think she might be as short as her dam when grown. btw, the picture of her is i think a day after or the day she calved.

Attachments

• heifer5.jpg
    heifer5.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 166

nosejob8807

shes 50% maine 50% limi.. her sire (maine)  is a son of Backdraft and on her dam side (limi) is a daughter of Black Cat. i have limis.. but since shes half maine, wanted to see if anything could click with her to make a pretty nice calf. i like gigglo joe, but will he add some frame?

savaged

I'd look at Dr. Who (you  need something to get away from that Limi influenced hair and he'll help that), Ali, or if you want a show heifer I would not hesitate to go with one of the Duff bulls, Plainview Lutton, or Northern Improvement.

gates98

I love Iceman.  He will add frame and the females make great cows.

doublestuff

I'd breed her to fullflush. He will add some frame have plenty thickness and if you are wanting heifers, they make nice females.

nosejob8807

shes got awsome hair, when she was a calf she had awsome hair.. nothing like limi hair.. wanting to stay with maine, no angus.

buckwild

wouldn't try ali. Look up Bushy Park and check out smokin Joe, or hard drive

TexasHeat

Is she a registered %50 percentage Limi?  I have Limi's, got some Ali maines that I am going to breed to Wild Card Limi bull.  If she is registed I would breed back to a Limi to have a 75%.  If it's a heifer you would be able to show it, and it will also add some height you want.  I would look at DHVO Deuce, KRVN Pacesetter, WLR Direct Hit, or LESF Asphalt, if you want a try a Limi.  If you are just wanting a some cross hiefers to keep, and not worry about reg. I would try Hannibal, Who Made Who, or Dr. Who.

Hofstatter Farms

I would have to agree with Dr Who, has always worked on about anything i have used him on. I wouldn't hesitate to use Ali either, throws a lot of style. However, have to go back to my roots and tell you to add some color to this one. DV is an old time fav or any of the DV offspring on black cows seems to click.

nosejob8807

shes registered both.. as a 50% limi and a 50% maine.. so if i bred her PB either way.. calf would be 75% and could show. the heifer she has now is a 75% limi

TMJ Show Cattle

Most of these post seem to be steering you into the club calf mold. If i understand you right,I think you wanted to use a Maine to get some growth? I would use Hard Core. You get growth and hair. If you dally toward the clubbier style with quite alot of Maine, for growth, I would use Wild Card.