What to breed her to?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cebwtx

I have a registered Hereford cow due any day and need to begin thinking of who to breed her to. Leaning at staying Hereford but not ruling out other options. She is a Wrangler 19D granddaughter. Any suggestions as to what produce the best resulting offspring is appreciated. I always lean towards breeding for replacement heifers (also my daughter shows them at local and county level shows). I am not opposed to a steer/bull improvement option as well just typically not my primary concern.

Attachments

• DSC01753.JPG
    DSC01753.JPG
    798.3 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC01787-1.JPG
    DSC01787-1.JPG
    710.1 KB · Views: 139

doublestuff

carpe deiem. good bull calves and replacements are becoming a hot comodity and he calves pretty easy as an added bonus.

herefordfootball

If you're not worried about gettin a pb calf, you cant beat Carpe Diem, like the others suggested. He's calving ease and his bull calves are hard to compete with.

Rooster

I would try KT John Wayne or Reload, I have seen really productive females out of them; and they also have a show ring style to them also.

cebwtx

Can Carpe Diem be registered as percentage anything? Mainly for purposes of showing a heifer offspring.

fed_champions

Cyrus is a hereford bull i saw in the yards 2 years ago... he was probably the best bull there phenotypically...

Cottonmouth is a really good bull too, but havent seen any calves from him yet

amcosgra

I have heard very bad things about Moler and Channing daughters and looking at Channings daughters ratios I would agree.  Remitall Online 122L semen is $1,000 a straw and shouldn't be used AI only ET.  I like SHF Ribeye M326 R117, KCF Bennett 3008 M326, KJ 2403 Recruit 966R(great females, perfect udders, deep bodied, soggy heifers), LaGrand Reload 80P ET will make them more stylish but I haven't seen many daughters in production yet.

OH Breeder

cebwtx said:
I have a registered Hereford cow due any day and need to begin thinking of who to breed her to. Leaning at staying Hereford but not ruling out other options. She is a Wrangler 19D granddaughter. Any suggestions as to what produce the best resulting offspring is appreciated. I always lean towards breeding for replacement heifers (also my daughter shows them at local and county level shows). I am not opposed to a steer/bull improvement option as well just typically not my primary concern.

This is just my personal opinion. I know NOTHING about Herefords. BUT if I were breeding the first time for a replacement female I am not sure I would use Carpe Diem as he is a TH C. If you were going terminal or steer production female and are okay with THC's then I say go for it. There are plenty of experienced Hereford folks on here that can put you in the right direction. You have a beautiful female either way no matter what breed. Very feminine and cowy.
We use Gizmo, Northern Improvment, Who Made Who and OCC Legend for our calving ease options.

cebwtx

I noticed after looking at Carpe Diem that he was a carrier and do want to stay clear of  any known carriers. I have limited numbers as well as limited experience compared to most of the people I see on here, so the fewer potential problems the better. Thanks for all of the suggestions and would be glad to hear of any others that might work.

chambero

If you really want a steer then I'd look real hard at Cottonmouth since he's clean.  Haven't seen calves, but I saw him and loved him and I generally don't like Herefords.  I bred some to him last fall.

If you want purebred but still a chance at a steer, I'd look at the bull that sired the Fort Forth Reserve Grand or Crossfire (Wendell Dunn's bull).

fed_champions

on the topic of fort worth chambero... Did u like the horned for reserve... if not what did u think deserved the spot?

i agree with ur comments, am not a fan of carpe diem... have u seen anything out of Cyrus?

but, with prices nowadays it seems like herfords are the new exotic in texas... after ft worth everyone and their dog will have 1

i showed very high dollar steers that were extremely successful, but never paid as much as what day and hale can sell their top end herfs for.

How can people pay upwards of 25000 fro a steer when in all reality, champion herf at ft worth is the only spot that will get ur money back, unless u get lucky enough to snag an overall spot, which is like a 1 in a million shot

herefordfootball

fed_champions said:
on the topic of fort worth chambero... Did u like the horned for reserve... if not what did u think deserved the spot?

i agree with ur comments, am not a fan of carpe diem... have u seen anything out of Cyrus?

but, with prices nowadays it seems like herfords are the new exotic in texas... after ft worth everyone and their dog will have 1

i showed very high dollar steers that were extremely successful, but never paid as much as what day and hale can sell their top end herfs for.

How can people pay upwards of 25000 fro a steer when in all reality, champion herf at ft worth is the only spot that will get ur money back, unless u get lucky enough to snag an overall spot, which is like a 1 in a million shot

Trausch farms posted a pic of one on a thread I started about him asking what his calves looked like. I'll try to find it and bump it up for you.

Tr

herefordfootball

If you want a clubby made I'd go with Hard Drive, I've only seen a couple this calving season, but they are huge boned, big butted, deep bodied, but are a little on the taller side, so go with him on a smaller cow, that you think can handle a good sized calf. I cant wait to see more Cyrus calves from trauschs', I think he'll be throwin them real good on good boned and bodied cows, and he'll take care of the rest.

chambero

fed_champions said:

I didn't watch any of the breed shows - just saw them in the Grand Drive.  I always raise my eyebrows when something besides the exotics win grand/reserve.  The only reason I recommended the sire of him was he's bound to be pretty good for a Hereford to raise a steer with enough "umph" to even be in the discussion.  As I said, I flat don't like most real Herefords.  Sent you a PM.

fed_champions

Thats true... that doesn't happen everyday, but in my opinion, although being a very good hereford, i didn't think he had that extra wow factor needed to get a piece of a show like Ft Worth... Now, the polled hereford was legit, of the lineup, i liked the polled for grand and the shothorn for reserve, i was very dissapointed in the exotics... I was in the holding area when the champs came back in, the polled was a man, extra powerful, extra sound and very attractive and proportional... Now he had a couple faults, as does any, he was a shade bigger in his shoulder and a shade deeper in his chest, however, he definitely captured my attention, which in the past couple of years has been hard to do... I've seen a lot of good show cattle and always been a fan of exotics, but, he was my pick for the show, overcoming odds, i thought he was truly one of the best ive seen.