What to breed her to

Help Support Steer Planet:

paj315

Ok I have a heifer that is about to calve this month and looking for suggestions on what to breed her back to. This is kind if an experiment because the cow belongs to my grandpa and he is old school. Buy a bull from a sale barn use it one summer and sell it back at the sale barn again. I'm wanting to show him the difference between breed to any given random bull and using good genetics. Wanting to use a clubby type bull on her . Something with some power , depth, and bone. However, the number one concern with my grandpa is calving ease so I'm looking for a good bull with the best of both worlds. I would like to try and stay TH and PHA free.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 166

sizzler14

Try Ali Soultion. TH free and has some power and calving ease or I would really recommend Who Made Who 2

paj315

Thanks Diamond I will check them out . This picture isn't the best one if the cow but its the only one I could get . I would like to get a heifer out of her to put back into the herd and keep breeding up.

Tyler

I think breeding her to a clubby bull is counterproductive if you are wanting a heifer to keep.  By your description of your cattle I'm guessing they are pretty crossed up already and I think you should go with a proven maternally oriented purebred bull.
Once you have the half blood heifer calf then you can breed her to a clubby bull if you are wanting a show calf.  There are a lot of good choices in the simmy, maine and angus breeds that I would look at.

LLBUX

I'm thinking a maternally-oriented Angus or Shorthorn would be the best choice.  Looks like your heifer needs a little rib and bone too.

A number of Angus bulls will give you growth and maternal character.

A Shorty out of JPJ or his son Capiche may well give you a blue roan that folks really like. 

They will moderate the cow and possibly give you a steer you could market as a Shorthorn Plus.

They are both calving ease sires.

Good luck to you.

paj315

Thanks guys now that I think about what you have said I was kind of putting the horse before the cart so to speak. I had never really considered using a shorthorn bull . Are there any other shorty bull you could suggest?

sizzler14

pm me.. We have a great one that is exactly what these black cows have been looking for and he will gie you a great chance at a blue roan while mainetaining genetic free genetics while delievering extra body hair and style!

Barry Farms

If your grandpa is anything like my dad or grandpa when he was alive I dont think they will want a blue roan. But anyway I dont know your situation but you may be at a better chance of getting an AI calf if he alows you to AI say 4 or 5. I would say I80, Rumor Mill, Thriller, etc. may fit your needs and if you dont get a heifer you will get a showable steer (maybe).

paj315

Honestly Barry he could care less what color the calf is so long as it alive and he can sell it to someone as a feeder calf if its a steer thats not good enough to show.

sizzler14

if you want an honest opinion, in your orginal post you said you wanted some power. Which means stay the hell away from I-80.

New Showman

DiamondCattleCo said:
if you want an honest opinion, in your orginal post you said you wanted some power. Which means stay the hell away from I-80.

Good point but he will make a pretty heifer, and they sell sexed heifer semen on him. While he may not add power and bone like you asked for paj315 he will make a maternal heifer.

OH Breeder

If your grandpa is anything like mine elders were, they want to see one perform. You can have one that is stellar but if you have to support it to get it off the cow he may not see any value in the AI bulls. This is entirely my opinion. If I were going to choose an AI sire I would choose one to perform to impress him as to what an AI sire can do for the genetics. I really like the Duff, OCC etc cattle as well as a whole bunch of the Shorthorn sires.

Thomas

(clapping) I agree on duff or occ.  Also, Many shorthorns... If your grampa is like most of the men of that era they will remember how great them ole blue cows were and after a reminder he may want to breed them all that way! 

paj315

Thanks guys for all the input. As of right now I leaning towards going with a shorty bull. Now the hard part which one? Thinking about Capiche , Captain Obvious, SULL Payday, and Starburst. My only concern on Caption Obvious is his milk EPD it shows a -4 . What do you guys think ? Any others I need to consider?

J

JTM

OH Breeder said:
If your grandpa is anything like mine elders were, they want to see one perform. You can have one that is stellar but if you have to support it to get it off the cow he may not see any value in the AI bulls. This is entirely my opinion. If I were going to choose an AI sire I would choose one to perform to impress him as to what an AI sire can do for the genetics. I really like the Duff, OCC etc cattle as well as a whole bunch of the Shorthorn sires.
I totally agree with OHBreeder here. I would be concerned with crossbred clubby bulls because of the lack of consistency and you could get a high birthweight dink. My Shorthorn bull is A&T Renegade if you want to consider him. I'd recommend him before any other calving ease Shorthorn bull I've used based off of performance so far. Maybe self serving but I'm confident too. I think going Shorthorn on a black angus is a great idea overall. Hybrid vigor and great replacement female potential.