WHAT TO BREED HER TOO?! HELP! PLEASE READ, DONT JUST VOTE! OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

WHAT TO BREED OUR HANNIBAL DONOR TO?

• Bojo

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Sunseeker

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • My Turn

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Heat Wave

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Smilin Bob

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

herefordfootball

I ADDED SMILIN BOB

Well our Hannibal donor just calved last week to Dirty Harry(a full sib to the heifer we sold last year.) We bred her back this way because we liked the first calf so much and wanted to stay with calving ease so did Dirty Harry again. She had a bull calf this time and it by far in my opinion is already better than lasts years calf, so I cant wait to see how he turns out. Both of her calves were 90lbs and just slid out of her like a hot knife through butter. She had the calf, stood up almost immediately, started licking it, ten minutes later the little guy was up and already MILKING!!! The calf is soo healthy and complete I couldnt believe it. It was just like last time she calved. She has  a huge pelvic area and I'm pretty sure she could handle a 110-120 lb calf easy. Ok enough bragging from me, I was just really proud. Now for those of you who have been kind enough to stay with me through my bragging: What would you breed her too?

Cows Pros: very long bodied                                                      Cows Cons: Finer Boned                                          
                  huge topped                                                                                Straighter Boned                                          
                  super clean fronted                                                                     Could be a touch easier moving but thats being super picky.                                          
                  Fairly thick                                                                                    NEEDS THICKER HAIR                                                                                                                                                                              
                  Easy moving                                                                                NEEDS MORE FRONT EXTENSION(LONGER NECK)                                    
                  Great straight lines                                                                     NEEDS MORE BONE FOR SURE.    
                 Pretty Powerful                                                                            Smaller Framed in terms of heighth. Last calf finished about 1190. Would like to see calves finish higher weights.
                                                                                                                     Could use more rear quarter for sure.

Cows Pedigree:  Hannibal x JDJ Ice House(Sired by Iceman).

Bulls I was thinking of in no particular order: Bojo
                                                                     Sunseeker
                                                                     My Turn
                                                                     Monopoly
                                                                     Heat Wave (I already have Heat Wave eggs out of her and if put them in I will take this option off, but I dont have the recips yet.)

PLEASE LIST ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS. SHE IS 37.5% MAINE AND WOULD LIKE TO USE SOMETHING THAT WOULD THROW AT LEAST A QUARTER MAINE AND FIX HER CONS WHILE NOT TAKING AWAY FROM HER PROS.

She passes her bone, length,front, thickness, and lines onto her offspring. (Judging by the past two calves).

I know some of you might say why not Dirty Harry again, but I'm looking to go for the gold and no bashing Dirty Harry, but he's not going to throw a $10000, Grand Champ steer out of her.

THANK YOU ALL FOR BEARING WITH ME THROUGH ALLL THE INFORMATION. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT :)

Jill

I really like the looks of Smilin Bob to fix the cons you listed, I think I'd add him to the list, I know he's not proven, but from that program I'd sure give him a try.

herefordfootball

Thanks soooo much for the suggestion. He looks like he could work, its just the fact that he isnt proven  :'( . He sure does look the part though. It would be cool to use a new bull though and get that more than normal suprise package and your calf has a better chance imo of getting in on maybe one of the bulls ads if you were a first time user and the calf came out good, so theres some promotion for the calf raiser. That one I gotta give some thought too!!! Thanks Jill!!! :)

mark tenenbaum

Smilin Bob-One and Only-My Turn--Tiger Woods,Point Taken, Smooth Sailing,,The Gift-Eye Candy-Amen-MAINES--Open Bar- i-80, Mercedes Benz,Wisdom, ANGUS X- DMCC BODYBUILDER (you need to see how thick they are) Ramblin Fever

farmboy

Based on your pro's-con's chart, I would say Sunseeker. Thicker hair, bigger bone, SS can throw a larger frame. You say she's super clean fronted, Sunseeker is pretty bad about sloppy necks, your cow should be alright on that. Sunseekers on the right cow are usually really long bodied and finish out higher. Assuming your cow doesn't have any structure problems, I would say he is your best bet. I doubt he will kill your cow either  ::)

Second choice is My Turn. He can do all of that, not sure on the bone part though. Our best calf this year is out of a cow similar to what you described. I don't think you'll get as much power or hair from MT as you will SS.

advocate

I'd say if u need mad hair and a softer look I'd go bojo or monopoly either way I don't think you can go wrong

herefordfootball

Thanks everyone!!! Dont forget to vote too, only 3 people have voted so far. Advocate she could definitely use some softness/sogginess I like you're thinking with Monopoly and Bojo for that. I've only got two straws of Monopoly in the tank and I'm saving them for my Dr. Who cow, but even if she sticks the first time I think I'm savin the other straw. I like the bojo calves I've seen so far(only in pictures though). So Idk if only the best Bojos were pictured and that can be misleading, but god the calves look good. Zach how are your Sunseekers on depth of body?

marsh

I am sure most of the bulls listed will give you a good one.  I will suggest for what you are looking for to take a look at FSF Hardline.  I was at Farrers earlier this week and saw the bull and quite a few calves out of him.  Very impressed with him and the calves.  By far the best group of calves at Farrers compared to the other bulls he used.  The calves were very hairy, sound, great bone, thick, and most were the right size.  I am breeding a few to him this weekend and am really excited about using him after seeing the calves at Farrers.

herefordfootball

Zach said:
they can get a little high in the flank.then again I've seen some belly draggers before too

Ok, the cow isnt super deep, but her first calf by Dirty Harry wasnt deep at first but then around the first of March she just dropped down and looked reallly deep. But I'm pretty confident that the since the cow follows through on that bottom line well enough hopefully the calf will too. So far its lookin like  Sunseeker!

herefordfootball

marsh said:
I am sure most of the bulls listed will give you a good one.  I will suggest for what you are looking for to take a look at FSF Hardline.  I was at Farrers earlier this week and saw the bull and quite a few calves out of him.  Very impressed with him and the calves.  By far the best group of calves at Farrers compared to the other bulls he used.  The calves were very hairy, sound, great bone, thick, and most were the right size.  I am breeding a few to him this weekend and am really excited about using him after seeing the calves at Farrers.

Ok I'll take that into consideration. I havent seen any out of Hardline in person, but would love too. Do you know where I could find pics of some Hardline calves?

herefordfootball

Marsh, I like the fact that he's a half sib to stardust, I've seen some of those calves and like them, but I wont use Stardust, I'm not knocking him, I just dont wanna cross on shorthorn. Would like to get a percent maine if possible.

CAB

This is just me thinking on board, but I seem to almost always want to flush for making better maternal cows. Unless you have plenty of great cows, I think that the flushes that make the most sense are maternal. That way you can get more to breed for steers down the road. Some of the OCC bulls that are very maternal would be where I would go to look. JMO. Hardline is a bull that when he came out we were like, there's one to watch!!

jalebe

Chris,
    Just a thought, since you want to produce a calf that could be a percentage Maine, why not Rocky Balboa. You saw what he did at our place.

mark tenenbaum

marsh said:
I am sure most of the bulls listed will give you a good one.  I will suggest for what you are looking for to take a look at FSF Hardline.  I was at Farrers earlier this week and saw the bull and quite a few calves out of him.  Very impressed with him and the calves.  By far the best group of calves at Farrers compared to the other bulls he used.  The calves were very hairy, sound, great bone, thick, and most were the right size.  I am breeding a few to him this weekend and am really excited about using him after seeing the calves at Farrers.####-I saw Hardline when they turned him out last yaer-he was really impressive-I saw some calf pics where they looked a little high gutted-how were the ones at FAREERS? O0

showman ne

maybe power trip... i voted bojo but if your cow is straighter legged bojo may not be quite right. neither would sunseeker. power trip is pretty sound and bigger framed and should give you plenty of power

herefordfootball

jalebe said:
Chris,
     Just a thought, since you want to produce a calf that could be a percentage Maine, why not Rocky Balboa. You saw what he did at our place.

Thats EXACTLY what me and dad were thinking!!!! But the only problem is we'd be doubling up on who made who...:( And thats one thing we wanted to stay away from. I think the who goes back far enough in SunSeeker, that it wont show. And yes I saw what he did at your place and I think we all were impressed. That heifer was just flat good no other way to say it. She should be able to stand the heat to where ever the people who got her take her. Hope all is well up your way, cant wait to come see the calves!!! Just gotta get that little thing that always gets away from me callled "free time".