What to breed RA cow to?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

vcsf said:
TPX said:
Showheifer, while I like most of Six Mile's cattle and have a lot of respect for the people I would hardly call them small.  Also they are probably as well managed and marketed as any.

vcsf: All I know is when I spoke with Six Mile last spring, I mentioned I liked my heifers and cows to be in the 6 to 6.5 frame. She laughed and said "Oh I forgot, you southern folks like them big. We tend toward the 5 to 5.5" 

But, this new bull looks interesting.....

ROAD WARRIOR

Reguardless of whether you like Bryan or not, you can't argue with the number of Mulberry sons and daughters that have been winning the last couple of years. I've only been breeding Red Angus for a little over twenty years so I'm sure some of you are more experienced in the breed than I am, but I have seen this happen time and time again. A bull gets hot and his sons and daughters start winning and selling good and everyone jumps on the bull wagon and breeds every cow they can to him so they can get in on the deal. This is the worst thing that can happen to a bull for the fact that someone or a bunch of someones will breed a bunch of canner cows to him and people will see the sub par calves out of the bottom of the gene pool and say "I just saw the sorriest bunch of calves out of old so and so." I have never been one to jump on the bull wagon, I use bulls that I personally like reguardless of what the rest of the world thinks or what is politically correct. I travel several thousand miles in the course of a year looking at R A cattle acrossed the country. I have seen calves out of most of the bulls listed at one point or another in this post and Mulberry is a bull that I have chosen to use as part of my breeding program. Just an oppinion of some one who still saddles a horse to check cows. RW

vcsf

Road Warrior, I totally agree with what you are saying.  By the way my feelings towards Bryan have nothing to do with having done business with him as I never have and I doubt that he would know my name nor would I expect him to although he probably would recognize me.  As I said I loved Mulberry both as a long yearling and as a coming three year old when he was shown and think that he is breeding as well as any Red Angus bull there is.  If people are interested in a Mulberry son that is a little lower priced I would suggest the Red Howe Bold Edition bull at Genex.  This bull was supreme champion at Brandon's fall show and a top ten finalist at the supreme show at Agribition against champions from across Canada and the NILE.  In my opinion he looked good as a calf and still does.

Showheifer, I freely admit that I have never been through Six Mile's cow herd but have looked at their cattle at sales and show and most of the ones the bring out I would definitely think were a 6+ for frame score but I could be wrong.  With regards to their new Winchester bull I honestly did not really look at him last fall.  I was in the seats at the sale when half interest in his mother sold for about $25,000 as a calf and have looked at her at show as a bred heifer and as a two year old.  While she is not a huge cow she definitely is not small and is made fairly nice.  I will agree that the Indeed bull has done an excellent job at Six Mile and I also believe that his first son to sell in the United States brought $29,0000 a couple of weeks ago.

TPX brought up the Red Lazy MC CC Detour bull and I will say that this bull has a very attractive mother who was supreme champion at Agribition in 2008 but once again she is not a small cow as she was pushing 1900 lbs showing as a coming 3 year old.

CAB

As a commercial/clubbie breeder I study from a far. My son likes Red Angus cattle & so I spend some time looking. We breed very little & when we do it's mostly calving ease and trying to show interest in my son's choices of cattle. One thing that seems clear to me is that everytime I find a bull that I am interested in is that it seems like Brylor's have sort of a choke hold on the breed as far as commercially priced bulls are concerned that I would possibly be interested in trying, so I get turned off & start looking elsewhere. Another thing that I personally wish that the breed would reconcider is the use of any of the black Angus bulls. I feel that this is a huge mistake and will come around to hurt the breed. Talk about jumping on the bull bandwagon!!

Thanks to all who have posted up your thoughts as to some very good Red Angus bulls to ponder.

squirt71

CAB said:
As a commercial/clubbie breeder I study from a far. My son likes Red Angus cattle & so I spend some time looking. We breed very little & when we do it's mostly calving ease and trying to show interest in my son's choices of cattle. One thing that seems clear to me is that everytime I find a bull that I am interested in is that it seems like Brylor's have sort of a choke hold on the breed as far as commercially priced bulls are concerned that I would possibly be interested in trying, so I get turned off & start looking elsewhere. Another thing that I personally wish that the breed would reconcider is the use of any of the black Angus bulls. I feel that this is a huge mistake and will come around to hurt the breed. Talk about jumping on the bull bandwagon!!

Thanks to all who have posted up your thoughts as to some very good Red Angus bulls to ponder.
CAB, that's interesting, I was the one who wanted Red Angus, so my dad can thank me for us having them.  Thanks again to everyone who offered up suggestions, there's some names offered up that I never would have thought of.  I'll let you know what I decide.

ROAD WARRIOR

CAB - I know what you are saying about the Brylor monopoly. I believe that in general, business is done a little different north of the border than it is down here. I compare Brlor Semen Sales to the majority of our US semen companies like this - Our US companies are like Walmart - they have alot of bulls from alot of different breeds and depend on selling mass quantities of semen at a lower price. Do they care if the calves I have are all a bunch of duds, no because it does not directly affect them or their reputation, it is reflected more towards the breeder of the bull. Brylor is the privately owned shop down town that specializes in one product (Red Angus semen), and prides themselves on the quality of that product. Yes you will pay more for the product but as a general rule you will get more for your money in the end. I have never met the CEO's of any of the US semen companies or even talked to them after a semen purchase. The CEO of BSS has walked in my pastures looking at calves and makes it a point to talk to me at any show/sale that we may both be at or maybe just call me. I'm willing to pay a little more for quality and service. I hope I didn't rile up all of the ABS, Genex, etc sale reps too much with this post. RW

Bawndoh

ROAD WARRIOR said:
CAB - I know what you are saying about the Brylor monopoly. I believe that in general, business is done a little different north of the border than it is down here. I compare Brlor Semen Sales to the majority of our US semen companies like this - Our US companies are like Walmart - they have alot of bulls from alot of different breeds and depend on selling mass quantities of semen at a lower price. Do they care if the calves I have are all a bunch of duds, no because it does not directly affect them or their reputation, it is reflected more towards the breeder of the bull. Brylor is the privately owned shop down town that specializes in one product (Red Angus semen), and prides themselves on the quality of that product. Yes you will pay more for the product but as a general rule you will get more for your money in the end. I have never met the CEO's of any of the US semen companies or even talked to them after a semen purchase. The CEO of BSS has walked in my pastures looking at calves and makes it a point to talk to me at any show/sale that we may both be at or maybe just call me. I'm willing to pay a little more for quality and service. I hope I didn't rile up all of the ABS, Genex, etc sale reps too much with this post. RW
No, you didnt rile me up, but you do make me laugh.  I would like to see the CEO of Genex have enough TIME to make it to every single herd in the world that uses their semen.  Have you at least had a rep walk through your pastures?  I sure as hell know that if a customer, or anybody, for that matter, asked me to come see thier place....I would. 

ROAD WARRIOR

I have never had a Rep ever offer to come to the place for anything other than to maybe try and sell me something. Honestly I don't buy from them for the fact that until very recently none of them have had any bulls that interested me. Very little variation in blood lines for the R A in the US AI studs, I've never figured out why you need 5 half sibs in one book when your competitors all have 5 more half sibs in there book as well. I do find it interesting that to get a bull in one of the major suppiers catalogs you almost have to be a past national director. RW

TFCC

Huckleberry Semen is on the open market for $35 a straw for 5  and $30 a straw for 10. Thanks feederduck for putting his ad up. Calves are coming and looking great. If anyone has questions please feel free to contact me.

Kurt Schwarz
JK Cattle Co
[email protected]
jkcattleco.com
660-424-3422

squirt71

Just a little update on what I decided to do...  I flushed the cow to Northline Fat Tony and got 12 embryos out of her first flush (even though I screwed up and gave her her last shot about 12 hours too late) I'm very happy with that number, especially since the previous owners only got 4-6 embroys the 3 times they tried flushing her.  <party>