What to breed to??

Help Support Steer Planet:

SKF

My daughter has a About Time heifer and a Heatseeker cow that she wants to A.I. but we need some suggestions. Both of are heavy muscled, stucturely correct, deep but both could use some more frame size. The Heatseeker also needs more neck extension and the About Time heifer needs to soften up she is kind of steery. Any suggestions? The bull needs to be TH and PHA free. The Heatseeker this will be her third calf. Thank you ;D

AAOK

AMAA #211933
CALBERTA PAYDIRT 169C

This is an older, proven Maine-Anjou bull.  He was a Big fella, and will pass along the traits you are seeking.  There are several of his sons that you might also want to check out.

Dan

Show Heifer

If you want to add frame and extension of neck, I have had good luck with Hannibal.
To soft up a look, try Dr. Who, but he will not add frame. Sin City is a nice one to soften up the look without taking away the power. And if ya want to try angus, I have had great luck with TC Freedom. He will definately soften up the look, but he won't be freaky thick or hairy, but will add frame.
Good luck!! :)

OH Breeder

I would use Northern Improvement. He really did a job for my Mossy Oak heifer. The calves are stylish and believe it or not hairy. I am very pleased. If you say these females are heavy muscled he would make for a nice balance.

red

SKF- what are your goals for her? Do you want a registerable calf? If so which breed? Are you looking more club calf or more maternal fountation?

Red

SKF

We are looking to produce club calves. I would like something with good maternal traits so if they have heifers we can keep them for replacements but the main thing is show steers because around here steers sell better.

afhm

Doctor Who will add some frame, he is much larger in person than you would think.  A friend of ours who is 6' tall and I saw him at Habagers and when I looked at my friend all I could see of him over the bull was his shoulders up.  On the Heat Seeker, Full Flush and his sons works good on those lines.  I agree on the Hannibal suggestion as well.  For the heifer you could try GCC Old School, or Grizz.  Intense Plus will work on heifers also.

red

Total Solution has been used by a lot of people for heifers. His been out there for a while.
I like the Dr Who suggestion. also like Jazz.

Red

DLD

If they're stout enough, Pale Face works well back on clubbier type females. He should add the length of neck and frame size you're looking for. Our first ones will calve next spring, but they're certainly feminine and broody looking. I'm kind of excited about them as cow prospects.

If you don't like Pale Face, his sire Jazz could work, too.

afhm

I didn't know if Pale Face would add frame or not, glad to know now.  The best thing about him is the white on the faces.  I have thought about using him for awhile and just haven't done it.

DLD

He won't make 'em great big, but I think all of ours are going to be a little bigger than their mothers. They certainly do have a little more extension throughout.

red

Fear This certainly adds some height. He's clean too. The Black Dice lines also add height.

Red

OH Breeder

red said:
Fear This certainly adds some height. He's clean too. The Black Dice lines also add height.

Red

Not for heifers? right. Fear this for the cow.

If you are shooting for a live calf. BREED THAT HEIFER TO A PROVEN CALVING EASE BULL! 2 years ago, I accidently mixed up semen and bred a heifer to Kadabara. The heifer had a birhtweight her self around 98-100#'s and stout with large bone. The calf was hip locked and the heifer swelled immeidatley, lost calf and cow both. It was not pretty. Was sad state of affairs. I will never do that again. the calf weighed a 145#s.

For the heifer, I don't think you would be disappointed with the Northern Improvements calves. They realy are nice.
PS, attached not the best photo, but that is a mossy oak heifer and a northern improvement steer calf. He was about 60's at birth and came out running. He hasn't stopped eating and is doing well. He is very correct structurally and moves well. Eats like a champ and is filling out. The picture was a couple months before I weaned him.  He is hairy and moderate bone and framed.

The heatseeker cow would click with Who or WMW son. as well.

Attachments

• Northern Improvement May 07.jpg
    Northern Improvement May 07.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 272

red

Thanks Ohio B- yes, Fear This or Black Dice on the cow not the heifer.
I like the suggestions made for the heifer so far.

Red