What to breed to

Help Support Steer Planet:

LinZ

I'm planning on flushing my cow this fall purebred simmy but I thought about breeding her back for a fall calf after flushing and wanted to use a clubby bull. I'm looking for something that will improve her front end and she needs a little more thickness. I wanted something that would throw chrome but will this trend be gone by fall 08?

Thanks,
LinZ

Attachments

• th_Image000000.jpg
    th_Image000000.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 736

red

Have you looked at Pohlman's bull Salution?
Salution-001_small.jpg

Red

LinZ

I have but he is Purebred. I'm wanting to cross, as far as AI'ing her back anyway... I'll be flushing her twice this fall, once to RanchHand and I'm not sure on the other PB yet but Salution maybe an option on flushing, thoughts on a purebred bull to flush to would be great also.

OH Breeder

Hannibal or Who Made Who put a great front end on most of their calves. I would give him a shot. She looks deep bodied and big enough.

Jill

What about Pale Face?  He is pretty fronted, should give you some thickness and would be eligible for Maine registry, may give you some crome.

farmboy

if you use pale face, you ll get a baldy for sure, Ive seen quite a few pale faces and havent really been impressed. Hannibal would be a good choice and have you thought about strictly business  :)

afhm

How about Star Power?  I wanted to use him on my heifers this year but couldn't get any semen.  Macho is another I would consider.  For your clubby options I like the Who and Hannibal suggestions.  If th and pha aren't a concern then try 6651 Upgrade, Heat Seeker, Heat Wave, Sun Seeker, Full Flush, Hollywood, Intense Plus or Lifeline any of these should give you marketable steers and good replacements as well

Telos

Afhm, Top Sires has a new bull called Free Spirit. He's a TH and PHA free Heat Wave out of an Icepick  cow. I thought he looked interesting on paper and not bad in the photogragh. Do you know anything about him? They say he is owned by Widener and Lautner, but Lautner does not have him listed.

LinZ

Star Power is too closely related. His dam and my heifers dam are maternal siblings. My heifer is a Hummer out of SVF Sheza Lady Too(Joker x Sheza Lady J900). I know he is a TH carrier but I had really thought about Sunseeker. Not sure on him though.

Telos

Telos said:
Afhm, Top Sires has a new bull called Free Spirit. He's a TH and PHA free Heat Wave out of an Icepick  cow. I thought he looked interesting on paper and not bad in the photogragh. Do you know anything about him? They say he is owned by Widener and Lautner, but Lautner does not have him listed.
Sorry Afhm,I was mistaken about Free Spirit. He is actually a Paddy O'Mally out of a Icepick cow. Prpbably too line bred
draftpick genetics.

Telos

LinZ said:
Star Power is too closely related. His dam and my heifers dam are maternal siblings. My heifer is a Hummer out of SVF Sheza Lady Too(Joker x Sheza Lady J900). I know he is a TH carrier but I had really thought about Sunseeker. Not sure on him though.

Linz, not to hog the board this morning, but Ohio Breeder is familiar with the bull called Who Da Man and may have forgot him with so many other bulls to consider. He might want to chime in again with regards to WDM and your heifer. 

afhm

Telos,
Who Da Man semen is hard to come by, I really like him and have some out of him.  I will use him when the semen is easier to get.  Free Spririt was the high seller at I think the Ohio Beef Expo this year. I like him as well, but he is not one of the rookies that strikes me enough to use him on his 1st year out.  I haven't seen very many POM's that I haven't liked.  He is a all around bull , he produces bulls, steers and heifers that will work in the real world and show ring.  If he was phaf there would be no stopping him.

Mark_Forster

I've seen some good calves in Texas this year out of Lightning Jack.  From his ad in the Showbox and calves, he looks like he may add some chrome and get some smoky calves.