What to breed to?

Help Support Steer Planet:

harrisonshowgurl

I have a chi heifer that was born in April 07 and i was wonder what do breed her to. she is small for her age so idk wether to wait longer or go ahead and breed her to have a calf at 2yrs. I want to breed her to something that will keep the white on the baby. Thanks

Attachments

• ash flat 005b.JPG
    ash flat 005b.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 346
  • ash flat 011b.JPG
    ash flat 011b.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 353

red

do you want to keep her as a Chi or register her as something else? I'd probably do a pelvic measurement to make sure she's ready to be bred. If not, I'd hold off & maybe shoot for a fall calf for next year.

Gigolo Joe is a calving ease bull w/ EPD's of -0.6 for BW. He will also probably keep the chrome. His calves could be Mainetainers or Chi's from your heifer.

Red

red

have you had here tested? If not you want a clean bull.
Money Man would also be a good choice. My last calf had some white on his tail & navel & a little on the socks. His calves would also be Mainetainers.
I've used Foreplay on first calf heifers. You can also get chrome there plus it would be a registered Chi.

red

I'm sure if you contacted the owners they'd tell you the BW's. Major Maines have MM  at [email protected] & Joe weighed 86 pounds.
Not sure if you can find Foreplay's BW.

Red

kane1598

My heatwave heifer looked very similar to your heifer when we showed her in '05, she was maybe a little deeper and stronger topped, but your hiefer sure looks good and long bodied.  I would without a doubt breed your heifer to Dirty Harry ( her picture is on here).  We bred our heifer that way and got a state jr. champ (who is now loosing 3 inches if beautiful hair, YIKES!) But if you want a good show animals out of a first calf heifer I would use Dirty Harry.

Jill

The one and only c-section we have ever done was on a Heat Wave, I would without a doubt have her pelvic measured and I like the Gigolo Joe or Money Man suggestions, Mama's Boy also might work on her for a little different twist and maybe a shot of maternal.

farmboy

you might try witch doctor on her, you could get mainetainer papers, but since shes a HW, i wouldnt let her go past her due date no matter what you breed her to

red

harrisonshowgurl said:
what about alias??

I don't think Alias is an easy calving bull. I'd be very careful for a first calf heifer & especially if the pelvic measurments are small.
I know some like Witch Doctor but I think there are newer bulls out there w/ even better BW's.

Red

linnettejane

several posts have mentioned pelvic measurements...dont mean to hijack here, but could someone elaborate more on this...like how to measure and whats a good measurement for heifers....thanks....

really like your heifer by the way!  i think jpj would be kinda neat on her and probably almost for sure give you color and chrome....and you could reg. calf shorthorn plus...

knabe

i just thought it was pretty cute to have those two kids (old buzzards) in the picture.  nice to see the oldsters involved with kids.  this to me is a great picture and shows how much support and love is needed to put these shows on.

justme

Being a Heatwave, I'd becareful.  I'd definitly get her bred here soon.  A calf in her will really help her out in a couple months.  I love her.  Really sharp.  I can honestly say I'd go Major's Money Man.  My calves were all under 86 pounds unassisted on all sorts of cows and heifers.  That way you'd get a maintainer out of her.

red

linnettejane said:
several posts have mentioned pelvic measurements...dont mean to hijack here, but could someone elaborate more on this...like how to measure and whats a good measurement for heifers....thanks....

really like your heifer by the way!  i think jpj would be kinda neat on her and probably almost for sure give you color and chrome....and you could reg. calf shorthorn plus...

Linnettejane: as to not totaly hijack the thread, I started a new one on pelvic measurements. Hope it helps.

Red