What to breed to ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

paj315

We have a Cracker Jack heifer out of a double bred Durango cow that we raised . Really nice heifer placed 5 out of 10 at NAILE . Also did well at HBC. Only thing either judge has said was they'd like to "power her up" . So what bull would you guys suggest ? Was thinking about using Purple Milsap on her my only hold back is the birthweight on him . We had one Milsap 2 years ago out of an About Time cow that was really good but weighed 120lbs when she was born. So what do you think ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 490

obie105

I really like the Catapult calves that I have seen this winter. I also think any of the NJW bulls would work.

LoneHerf

I would agree with breeding her to Catapult. Should have good calving ease with low birth weight and rapid growth. Have seen some real nice world wide's but I would say they do not exhibit  allot of power. JMO but great heifer. Adam

paj315

We just had a Catapult heifer calf last week . Birth weight of 65 lbs out of a first calf heifer. That is the first Catapult we have had so waiting on a few more before we decide whether we were really smart or just got a low birth weight calf. My question is will Catapult add power to his calves ? I know it varies from one cow to another and no one shows you their bad ones that pan out like they thought . The reason I was thinking Milsap was he has been around long enough to be somewhat predictable and the ones I've seen have been powerful heifers . Thanks for the input!

CMAHerefords

My vote would be NJW Hometown.

Catapult is a great choice also but I am not sure what the story is on semen availability. Might want to consider Old School (catapult son) that I believe Genex owns.

LoneHerf

I would agree with Hometown, for a young bull he is pretty well proven. His brother Homegrown 8Y might also be a contender , I thought that his sired group out preformed Hometowns last bull sale that Wards held. What about Wastin Time?