what to charge

Help Support Steer Planet:

frostback

Well heres the deal. I have been asked to price someone a plan on getting 2 show heifers ready for NWSS. They will be coming here for me to get ready. He will be paying for feed but how much to charge on a day to day basis for working them here and then at the show. He wants to start asap.

Also he has 4 sale heifers for the same deal. Only getting them ready, I cant be at two places at the same time so would have to find sale help for feeding and washing at another location.

Six head is a full time job this time of year so dont want to work for nothing but want to be fair. I will be taking one of my own to NWSS also and stalling together if that matters.

BIGTEX

3-4 dollars a day plus labor, ie washing, blowing, brushing, etc. I would charge at least $10 per hour.

Cattledog

BIGTEX said:
3-4 dollars a day plus labor, ie washing, blowing, brushing, etc. I would charge at least $10 per hour.

That seems about right to me.

braunvieh

I did this for someone last year and here is what I did -- charged actual feed costs for his animals and then charged prices for each service I did, such as clipping, halter breaking, etc. Then when we went to shows, I split the fuel (he had 1/3 of cattle in trailer so he paid 1/3 the fuel), and displayed his with mine and split those things as well. For me, I did not make much money on it, I looked at it as a way to cut down on the expense of my showing and it did help that tremendously. Just the savings in fuel was great! Also, though, these were not clubby show cattle and the daily attention I had to give them was much less than what some of you do on a daily basis, and it was in the dead of winter. I can say the owner of the calf was extremely pleased with what we did and the cost it took.