What to flush our donor to?

Help Support Steer Planet:

NSF

we have a 3/4 maine Habenero cow that we have had a lot of success breeding clubby and are going to be flushing her to something more maternal to get some daughters to keep back in the herd. Looking to go with something maternal but still known to click well with the steer producing genetics. Now the tricky part, she is brockle faced with white socks on both back legs. Contemplating going with a simmi bull such as macho or sos, but i am worried about getting to much white. i would prefer to keep or add to the white on her face but minimize and body or leg white. Kicking around simmi but am open to other suggestions as long as it will leave us with some good clubby mamas and preferably sale-able bulls/steers.

Looking for some oppinions.

kfacres

will be hard to hold your gum... and chew it at the same time... 

Perhaps you should do as the rest of the steer world does (or needs to)  flush that cow for maternal and can the males ( or better yet use sexed semen), and then flush her the 2nd time for steers-- and eat the heifers! 

open a catalog on point a finger..  you'll find a bull that can work in this senerio...

Sure can't go wrong w HW stuff for steers...
Maine/ Sim/ Ang makes aweful good mama cows.. maybe even a little herf if you want to be risky, or even crazier.. try a 'horn.

NSF

did the heatwave thing and that has definately worked, was champ div three at the royal in 08, just flushed her to monopoly and got 15 #1's yesterday. looking to go maternal this go round like i mentioned.

what i meant as far as the the bulls/steers being sale-able is that i dont want them to be throwaways. i realize i wont get a world beater out of a maternal mating but if the bulls are at least good enough to sell as a bull or solid county fair steer it would be a huge plus. considering using sexed heifer semen but its not available on all the choices. like i mentioned in my post, she has white on her and i want to minimize it so herfs and horns are outta the question. plus she is a red gene carrier so i would prefer to keep it black as we cant classify up here, we have to have papers for everything.

"open a catalog on point a finger" isnt exactly what im looking for as i have already been doing this. just looking for some input

zak

I have been thinking about this same bull for a while now. A couple bulls that i like is eye candy, simple math, friction, wmw,Hairy Bear(really good canidit for what you are looking for, He has sired reserve champ at NAILE and multiple AI sires while he still makes some great females). I have been looking for the same thinking you have been looking for. The two that come to the top of my list are hairy bear and simple math. Eye candy doesn't have any daughters in production and neither does simple math so i really cant tell how they will be maternally but my guess is that simple math you will be fine with but eye Candy is one i would like to see proven first.

Zak

kfacres

Eye candy could do it.. I actually like that possibility

Rendition would be my lead choice for Sim- baldy so you'd likely keep that baldy look, perhaps even chopper.

Angus, I don't have enough experience with, nor do I with Maine.

I would go with something straight bred (high % or PB)- maine, angus, or sim though for sure.. I just don't see enough consistancy or TRUE maternal abiltity in club calf bulls...  Notice I said "TRUE" to suggest any and feel good about it.  The EC thing kinda sounds cool though..  it would be an exception- he is a 1/2 breed though...  some breeds call that high %- or maybe it's 51%?

DakotaCow

I understand your looking for a simmy with a bit of chrome but I like TNT Tanker. His calves are tremendously stout and yet dont need assistance at birth. He will add performance to his calves and you wont have any throwaways in terms of growth. Unfortunately he is a 5.8 frame bull so you need to take that into consideration. Another bull i think could be fun is In DEW Time. He comes with a little less performance but does a good job of producing fertile daughters that milk well and make good mothers. Club king is another bull that has potential and he closes the gap between the two previous bulls. Performance and the ability to make mommas with a fresh pedigree.
http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=BYBREED&Breed=Simmental&lang=EN

I hope this helps <cowboy>

racekannon

I am going to use sexed Fat Butt 5ml  semen on my baldy Chi hiefer. she is a Senior Yearling Hairy Bear with an AWESOME Answer hiefer calf.  They are going to be in Louisville, drop by our stalls and let my son hone his salesmanship skills selling egg packages.  Sexed semen is the key at our farm.

Attachments

• ChiRes_Ch_CooperCanadaMorehead_0281_000.jpg
    ChiRes_Ch_CooperCanadaMorehead_0281_000.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 147

rkmn

For what its worth, I would consider using one of the straight Angus bulls of Kirk Duff. Maybe New Look or Outer Limits. They will certainly prevent the excess white and will not give up too much in the way of look, hair and muscle.

Just a thought.

AAOK

Been several years ago, but we raised a really nice Meyer 734 son out of our only Simmental cow.  I used him two years in a row on our high % Maine-Anjou cows and was rewarded with tremendous calves.  I kept 1/2 of the heifers, and easily sold the rest as Double Registered Show heifers.  Every Bull calf was sold for a Breeding Bull or Show Steer.  Those sold for show produced several Champion Steers & Heifers.  The breeding stock is still producing great ones.

When I sold out, everyone who came to look at the herd asked about the Simm/Maine cows first.  So, my recommedation would be to use either your favorite Meyer son, or 734 himself.  If your Donor is good, you'll be more than pleased!

OH Breeder

if you cow has plenty of bone and hair then Macho will make nice females with docile tempermants. Nice udders and milk good.

JWW

be careful when using Macho on big butted, wide hipped females -- he'll tighten them up faster then hell and won't walk for crap out of their hip...thats why he worked so well on angus and angus-X cattle ( no butt)

Maximus- love the bull, makes awsome females, and should throw the white face too

i have a Macho X Habernero-Agnus cow that i have had lots of luck with Dream on and his sons like In dew time
I love the GCF Amigo calves and will flush my HW donor to him this fall - ask Rob Long about the Amigo calves too - as long as you don't mind red

plenty of good simmi bulls out there -- i am real interested in seeing the Fat Butt calves too.

JWW

NSF

thank you for the suggestions so far. couple more questions.

of these bulls, other than fat butt which i see has sexed semen, does anyone know if they have sexed semen?

how is the hair on some of these bulls progeny? i know some of the simmis can get a little curly or hard haired, i realized some of you will say its not a big deal in replacement but we will be using them to raise club calves so it is pretty important to us.

AAOK - i have thought of the meyer angle but was worried about the white on the legs and belly which can be prevalent in the meyer cattle. any of his sons been seeming to wipe out the body color?

zak

I think hairy bear is the perfect choice. He doesnt have hair like heat wave but he does have clubby hair. He is also plently maternal enough with lifeline on his top side and meyer 734 on his bottom.

Zak

Show Steaks

MAXIMUS!!!! my top choice.  hairy bear is interesting always look at them and see a sure clubby mama to make steers, (the one i had didnt milk well enough for my standards) , duff outer limits real good pb angus bull he'll keep them cool. if your heifer is big framed try out grizzly.