What to flush to???

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davis Shorthorns

OK guys I am looking for a little help.  I am trying to figure out what to flush one of my cows to.  She is the one in my avatar.  She is the full Sib to TM Dazzler 54p.  I just got done flushing to Aviator.  What would you guys do???  Right now I am looking at TM Gus, Jake's Proud Jazz, Red Rider 844, Little Cedar Churchill, and Kim Baseline.  Any other suggestions.  I think that she needs just a little more guts and butt.  Thanks. Want to stay away from any TH or PHA and no Solution.  Thanks

Attachments

• 64p2.JPG
    64p2.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 524

shortdawg

I'd say you've picked some pretty good prospects in those bulls you mentioned. Sonny has proven the test of time on all types of cows. JPJ would work on her pretty good and would add the things you want to add to her.

Davis Shorthorns

The only thing about right now she is bred back to JPJ and we will see what kind of calf that produces.  The only thing about sunny that I dont like is how much per straw.

justme

But, if your going to the expense of flushing her, why not use him if he's your first choice?  Might as well get the most bang for your buck on a flush (thumbsup)  Good luck! 

vet tech

What about Red Vision? he is free of both th and pha. What about sin city?

knabe

she already looks long and low to the ground, cannon bone wise.  i wouldn't flush her to JPJ till i saw the calf at 2.  if i was going to bother flushing, i would do it 3x and move her 6 months on her cycle.  my choices would be dividend, major leroy and mist's return.

itk

I'm really liking Ace of Diamonds right now. How about TM Gus then you would have the ultimate Twig Marston animal, so it would have to be good. ;D

shortyjock89

itk said:
I'm really liking Ace of Diamonds right now. How about TM Gus then you would have the ultimate Twig Marston animal, so it would have to be good. ;D

I agree.  I am breeding my Sonny cow to Ace of Diamonds, and if the calf is good, she will get flushed to him next year.  TM Gus is also on the short list for next year too, I think we're doing two flushes next year.  Good luck in whatever bull you choose.  She looks like a good one, I bet she has some dang nice calves.

itk

Just thought of this. Why not something with Solution. John will be breeding her brother to Solution daughters. Flush her to a Solution son and you have at least a 3/4 sib to some high dollar heifer that John will sell. Think of all the free advertising that John would be doing for you. For example John breeds a full sister to Final Solution to Dazzler and sells the resulting offspring for $30,000. You flush your cow to Final Solution and you have 6 full sibs in blood to a $30,000 heifer.

Davis Shorthorns

itk said:
Just thought of this. Why not something with Solution. John will be breeding her brother to Solution daughters. Flush her to a Solution son and you have at least a 3/4 sib to some high dollar heifer that John will sell. Think of all the free advertising that John would be doing for you. For example John breeds a full sister to Final Solution to Dazzler and sells the resulting offspring for $30,000. You flush your cow to Final Solution and you have 6 full sibs in blood to a $30,000 heifer.

Didn't even think of that.  Thanks.  I was thinking of what I would want as a heifer at my place, but I am sure that I could get a lot of good publicity from Sullivans when they start to advertise his offspring.  I might just flush her to a solution son to sell the embryos.

TJ

I really like what I've seen out of Ace of Diamonds, I am just not sure that she is the right cow for him, although I may be wrong since I only know enough about Shorthorns to be "dangerous".  Just based on what I've seen, I think TM Gus is a better choice for her, but I am not a Shorthorn expert by any means... just calling it like I see it.  Sonny would be real a good choice too & I wouldn't let price scare me if I were doing a flush.  Actually, the reason that he is priced high is probably because he is good & he is proven.  Always go with "good & proven" when doing a flush, even if it means spending a little extra... at least that is what I would do.   

Davis Shorthorns

I would love to flush to sonny, but at 700 dollars a straw, and the place that we use for et wants 3 straws thats 2100 dollars plus 600 for the flush.  That is more money than I could stand to lose if something goes wrong.  Right now I am leaning heavely toward 844, Gus, or JPJ.

Ruebush Shorthorns

I would look into FSF Cornerstone.  He is $50 a straw and I have seen some nice young calves out of him.  I have an ET heifer out of him and we are happy with her and we bred her for next spring.  Also Kaboom is another really good bull to think of.  I agree with Ace of Diamonds as being a good prospect for shorthorns and I am sure the Vogels could give you some good info on him.  They have some calf pictures on their site now out of Ace of Diamonds.  We bought an Aviator heifer in their sale last year.  Aviator semen is pretty rare but I see you got a hold of some for a flush.  I liked the looks of that bull and wish I had some semen.
Good Luck

Doc

Davis Shorthorns said:
I would love to flush to sonny, but at 700 dollars a straw, and the place that we use for et wants 3 straws thats 2100 dollars plus 600 for the flush.  That is more money than I could stand to lose if something goes wrong.  Right now I am leaning heavely toward 844, Gus, or JPJ.

Of the 3 bulls listed on this cow I would probably go with Gus. I really like the Ace of Diamonds' I've seen pictures of . Thru pictures & talking to people that have some , he seems to be working best on Sonny dtrs. Kaboom, I believe would add some butt & guts. CF Epic is a full brother to Sonny at $50/straw. I like the Dividend option, I think they would make some really super cows.

OH Breeder

Doc said:
Davis Shorthorns said:

Of the 3 bulls listed on this cow I would probably go with Gus. I really like the Ace of Diamonds' I've seen pictures of . Thru pictures & talking to people that have some , he seems to be working best on Sonny dtrs. Kaboom, I believe would add some butt & guts. CF Epic is a full brother to Sonny at $50/straw. I like the Dividend option, I think they would make some really super cows.
When I saw Epic a year ago he is pretty cool. Clean made very compete bull. The family that owns him are just a hop skip and jump away and are great people. I think his calves will be on the ground this year for the first time. Greenhorns flushed quiet a bit to him last year and sold eggs at Frozen Gold I think and some other sales.

gocanes719

Davis Shorthorns said:

I have 5 units of Sonny I will sell for $500 a unit if you take all 5 and pay the shipping.