What to use on a Kadabara Heifer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

I know this is a bit early for us Spring breeders. But I like to plan in the winter what bulls to use in the spring. I have a kadabara heifer that is stout made and hairy etc. She is currently bred to a calving ease bull. We will see how it turns out. But planning her next breeding. What would you use on her for high percentage maine club calves?

Telos

Hey, Ohio Breeder... Long time no hear from. Hope all is well. I'm really liking a bull owned by the Vincent Blakely family at their Diamonds in the Rough Cattle Company. His name is AMAA registered Wild Turkey and has tested THF and PHAF and is a solid black purebred. They don't have a picture of him, but are showing two bulls out of him. He has a very unique pedigree in my opinion. You can see a few calves on their web site. He might complement Kadabra nicely. He is the thickest,widest tracking maine bulls I have ever seen. Check him out!

OH Breeder

http://www.diamondsintheroughcattle.com/

Hello Telos. Busy time of year here. Thanks for the info.

Wanted to make sure its the right sight. I didn't see any calves from the bull you were speaking of.

Telos

OH Breeder said:
http://www.diamondsintheroughcattle.com/

Hello Telos. Busy time of year here. Thanks for the info.

Wanted to make sure its the right sight. I didn't see any calves from the bull you were speaking of.
They are on there. You need to look under his club calves. Then go to 2007 calves. Remember these are real photographs and not touched up. His son TLCC Turk is a good looking bull which I really like too, but he is only 50% Maine. You said you wanted a high percentage.

red

I'd like to see how my Hard Core & Money Man calves turn out Ohio B. That is a possibility. Also I have a Triple X bred to the Tank. Really excited on that combination.

Red

chambero

We've got three Kadabra heifers to breed this fall.  We'll use Angus most likely for their first go round, but I'd pay "extra" attention to using a bull that is sound on his legs.  His females do seem to have plenty of muscle, so I'll be leaning more towards proven soundness than muscle.  It seemed to be more of a problem on his steers for us, but the feet on several of his calves pointed to many different directions for my liking.  Its generally not a problem in our herd.  I think I might recommend a purebred of some kind.  Kadabra's are probably a good opportunity to hit with a PB Charolais or Simi.

OH Breeder

thanks telos!
I am with you Red, the Tank should make them deep and wide enough and Kadabara make them pretty. She is pretty sound.

I was thinking Dream On or 3 C Macho. The heifer I have is pretty stout and thick. She is bred for a calving ease the first go around. I thought Dream On or Macho might make for a more maternal cross. they are also sound. I also am interested in trying a Roan Bull that comes from Alta Cedar- First blood. He is outcross shorthorn genetics and is a TPS Leader 21st Grand son. Final Solution, but have no idea what the calves are going to be like. If mine stuck, I have a couple bred that way for early spring calves.

Thanks for input.

Attachments

• 1stblood alta cedar.jpg
    1stblood alta cedar.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 219

SWMO

Have a first calf kadabra heifer that was bred to a  PB Charolais.  Really neat calf but he may be too tall. ???  Also he has really curly hair and not much of a switch.
He will more than likely not have much hair to work with.  But he is stout.