What type of hay fed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Just curious since we have members from all over, what type of hay do you feed? I'm talking both show & commercial cattle. Or do you not feed hay at all & what is your replacement?

We feed grass hay to the cows & calves. The feedlot cattle are on silage, corn & pellets.

Red

BCCC

We feed our show calves, grass hay, and cane hay. We feed our cows, corn stalks, and alfalfa. Our feedyard cattle are on corn silage, milo, and a pellet

kanshow

We feed brome grass hay or native grass (prairie hay) to the show calves.  

How does everyone else do it?   We put a big bale in the turn out pen for the heifers.  

Feedlot cattle are on silage, haylage, corn, & premix - depending on gain goals.      We winter our cows on corn stalks, alfalfa hay, & silage.      

Question....  What is the price of corn going to do to everyone's corn silage acreage?    We've planted more corn acres this year than ever but wonder what will end up in the silo & what will be grain???

BCCC

We buy big bales Square or round, preferably round, and we bale them up in small squares, and feed each calf individually, when we can get grass hay :'(

red

we buy square bales that weigh about 700 pounds. The cow's have a ring feeder but I give the calves flakes.

We'll have silage corn because some was planted so late. We have customers that need it regardless of price of corn. We custom chop so it's not all our corn. We also combine high moisture corn for a large feedlot.  I know the hubby has been contracting corn so there definitely be corn being shelled.

Red

shortyjock89

Show calves get a flake of hay in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one at turn out.  We will feed more if we're trying to hold one or if one has an upset belly.

Cows get grass, oat hay, and some aflalfa.  We feed them round bales.

GRsimm

We always have plenty of Fescue to feed in our parts but we have been trying to get coastal bermuda grass to feed some of the starters and show calves. They do really well but the ice storm this year kinda took its toll on the bermuda so well see. Lots of people are trying to get brewer's grain from Anheiser Busch and hopefully they dont get bought out by InBev cause who knows if we could buy that from the foreign company. It has worked well to feeding the starters and the cows in the winter.  (thumbsup)

txshowlamb

i feed my show steer coastal and so does everyone else but my steer is picky the hay has to be green or he wont eat it if its dry and or yellowish he wont touch it does anyone else have this problem and why is it that he wont eat that dry hay? thanks

showsteerdlux

The drier hay usually was put up late or in bad conditions. This means it is lower in nutritional value and also probably doesn't smell as good to him.
Around my area we everything we feed as far as hay is fescue and fescue/orchard mix. Clover does well also and some people are starting to plant alfalfa although it doesnt grow to great in our parts.
Feeder cattle are fed mostly gluten and silage as these are readily available.

Rocky Hill Simmental

I use orchard grass and clover mix for my cattle. But for this winter, we already bought some fescue too because it was good and cheap (because of the flood back in March, we didn't get fertiziler down in time).

blue

I feed brome, alfalfa, and a crested wheat mix to the yearling and show cattle.  Then the herd cows get slough hay and green feed oat bales.  Bales for the cows are either processed or rolled out.  The yearling and show cattle are fed out of a bale feeder.