What was old is hot now!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I had to laugh. There is a resurant in Columbus that is all fondue! Remember that craze? What are some the things that used to be old that are hot now?
I noticed in the store that ponchos are in again. DL, I can see you as an poncho wearer back in the day!

Red

itk

From the price of a meal, fondue is coming back in a big way. My wife's work had their Christmas party at a fondue place in KC and it was like $40 a person. Luckily we didn't have to pay for it because waiting 2 minutes in between tiny bites is not my idea of a enjoyable meal. To add to the list Ringo Starr seems to be making a comeback. O0

reno1014

What is fondue?  My sister said it is a cheese dip, I cannot imagine paying 40 bucks for cheese dip.    Please dont laugh at me
as I am sensitive. (lol)

red

Fondue is where you take pices of bread, cake or whatever, you have a pot of usually hot oil. You use a long fork, dip in the oil & cook it, then you dip it in a sauce. For cake you might dip in chocolate. for meat or bread you might use a something like a cheese sauce. It was quite the rage back in the 70's. My mom had a fondue pot that I think we used once. It gathered dust after that! It's not the best for hungry men or kids since you just have small bites.
http://www.fonduebits.com/

bonjourfondue2.jpg
fon1.jpg

itk

I forgot to mention you need to be comfortable with the people you are eating with, as there are many people and only one pot. Look around, if you see any cold sores or runny noses stay out of the fondue.

cattlejunky

red said:
I had to laugh. There is a resurant in Columbus that is all fondue! Remember that craze? What are some the things that used to be old that are hot now?
I noticed in the store that ponchos are in again. DL, I can see you as an poncho wearer back in the day!

Red
Funny about the poncho.  My mom just gave me my old poncho for Christmas.  Too bad its to small or I would wear it.  Did you notice big belts are back in style.  We use to wear them in the 80's on shirts or dresses.  I hope jelly shoes do not come back they were awful.

dori36

red said:
Fondue is where you take pices of bread, cake or whatever, you have a pot of usually hot oil. You use a long fork, dip in the oil & cook it, then you dip it in a sauce. For cake you might dip in chocolate. for meat or bread you might use a something like a cheese sauce. It was quite the rage back in the 70's. My mom had a fondue pot that I think we used once. It gathered dust after that! It's not the best for hungry men or kids since you just have small bites.
http://www.fonduebits.com/

bonjourfondue2.jpg
fon1.jpg

My favorite kind of fondue for  a main course is to cut into fairly large cubes a really good cut of beef - like tenderloin.  Then, use the hot oil (I suppose today with all the health conscious people, it would have to be 'extra virgin olive oil' ...nl smart remarks, guys!)  to cook the beef to whatever degree of "doneness" you want it.  Many people can cook at the same time so there's not really much of a wait.  It is great for gatherings where maybe people don't know each other real well.  Lots of easy conversation around the fondue pot!  Then, offer all sorts of dips to dip it in.  Then, for dessert, have a separate pot full of hot chocolate and get some big strawberries for dipping.  Ooooh!

justintime

I think every household had a fondue or two back in the 70s and 80s. I made sure ours went to the junk yard on the first possible occasion. As you can tell, I am not a real " fondue " kind of guy. Back when they were so popular, if I found out we were going to a fondue party, I made sure we ate before we went to it. Now they are coming back!!!  What's next?  Polyester leisure suits ? Plaid polyester pants with a 3 inch cuff???

cattlejunky

lets hope the white shoes for men do not come in again!  those were awful and the white belts.  i have noticed alot of teenage boys are starting to wear peg leg pants.  The boys I see wearing them are into music or trying to be like music groups.  My Dad wore peg leg pants in the late 60's.  The boys are going back to the 70's longer hair.  Of coarse my son isn't.

reno1014

I didnt think my son would ever have "long" hair either. By long I mean touching the collar.  Actually he looks pretty good, I just had a really
hard time accepting that my child whom would complain if his hair touched his ears would let it grow out.  Its hard letting them make choices
for themselves sometimes.

cowz

Now guys, don't totally bash fondue.........We had a neighbor that threw a Farmer Fondue gathering.  He had the set up of the outdoor turkey frier.....you know....peanut oil over propane.

Anyhow, you skewer hunks of steak on the tines of a pitchfork (preferably scrubbed!)  Everyone gets a turn....yum!

justme

We had a fondue party in our foods and nutrition class in highschool (not telling what year lol) and we had a ball.  My favorite is dipping moz. cheese in batter and deep frying it.  We did cocktail weenies like that too.  Every fondue party needs a lava lamp and chocolate with fruit lol. O0groovy dude!

justintime

Sorry Cowz.... my comments were only about the little fondue thingy's that were used at parties and such. Pitchfork fondue's are super events. Some of the best beef I have had was at a pitchfork fondue.

dutch pride

justintime said:
IWhat's next?   ? Plaid polyester pants with a 3 inch cuff???

I had a pair of those along with blue swede shoes  although you couldn't see the shoes because to pants were so wide at the bottom they covered my whole foot.    ;)

DLZ

OH Breeder

well, i was walking through Macy's this eveing and I hate to tell you. PLAID pants are back inagain for the men. I am not sure that they are for me. But they are for someone. The kids are already wearing white belts and when I am traveling usually coast to coast, I have seen all kinds of hair in the airports. Some of the 70's styles are not that far off. Took my sister in to get her hair done and was reading while waiting on her and a lady had what I thought were frozen orange juice cans in her hair. That might be something from 60's ?

garett

I think plaid pants could make a comeback...i know last year when i was school shopping there was a bog rack of  plaid shorts, i thought they were pretty awesome so i bought a pair