What were your booms and Busts of breading this year?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Justin69.o

I know it's still kind of early, but what have been your most successful and least successful new or old bulls this year?

Mainevent

Had a pretty successful fall season with an Unlimited Power heifer and an I-80 bull calf. First picture is of the heifer, Second is of the bull.

Attachments

• IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 161

mooch

What were your booms and Busts of breading this year?

Pork tenderloins were the best and cauliflower was the worst.

PWolfe

Justin69.o said:
I know it's still kind of early, but what have been your most successful and least successful new or old bulls this year?

We like our Power and Balance heifer calf; she's out of a Jazz x Angus cow.  This is she.

Attachments

• P and B Heifer calf.JPG
    P and B Heifer calf.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 200
  • P&B Heifer Calf.JPG
    P&B Heifer Calf.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 190

DSC

Boom for us was the Master of Puppets calves. They exceeded expectations. One was up on Trausch Farms blog.

RyanChandler

Redwine Cattle said:
Bust for us was MAV Bellringer, just pulled a 100 pound bull calf out of a JPJ daughter. Not impressed.

Daaang, with him being promoted as a heifer bull,  I'd be pissed too. 

OKshorthorn

-XBAR- said:
Redwine Cattle said:
Bust for us was MAV Bellringer, just pulled a 100 pound bull calf out of a JPJ daughter. Not impressed.

Yeah, it was a heifer that we bred him too, expecting a small, easy calf. Negative.

RyanChandler

Redwine Cattle said:
-XBAR- said:
Redwine Cattle said:

Yeah, it was a heifer that we bred him too, expecting a small, easy calf. Negative.
too many good bulls out there with positive calving ease numbers to risk breeding heifers to a bull with a negative CE epd.

Will

Redwine Cattle said:
Yuk I have 10 bred to him to calve this fall.

We love are Bellringer heifers, bulls not so much, all out of first calf heifers and one cow, are were small 70-75, Had one last year on a first calf show heifer it was bigger but still in that 80-85 she had it on her own. We haven't had any bust this year, Charisma are nice, Flex's are looking good to,(still can't believe that he is the lowest bw bull we are using this year calves are small(75-85) and grow fast.) Bartender's have the style maybe not the bone, I-80 look good sure hope they start to grow a little concerned, The ringer is still a better option in our heard of shorties for show heifers calves grow and are easy to sell. Rock ON's are pretty good too, i personally dont like JPJ but will probably use more rock on this spring.

OKshorthorn

-XBAR- said:
Redwine Cattle said:
-XBAR- said:
Redwine Cattle said:

too many good bulls out there with positive calving ease numbers to risk breeding heifers to a bull with a negative CE epd.

While I agree with you, I hesitated putting too much stock into the EPD's of many shorthorns out there. I had spoke with several people and also read many reports such as the one above about him.

hamburgman

Like:
Walks alones again
GVC Settlers
Firewater
Double Stuff
SAV Priority

Dislikes:
none right now

GoWyo

Calves only 1-2 weeks old, so hard to tell, but based on early look,

Boom:

Eye Candy x big Irish Whiskey cow
Walks Alone x commercial Angus cows
Ruby's Wide Open x Sim/Maine cow
BC Lookout x Maine cow and Reg. Angus
EXAR Wade In x Connealy Onward cow

Jury still out:

i-80 on commercial cow unknown pedigree with previous big birth wts. - calf was at least 90 lbs., but he is shaping up nice

Anxiously waiting on an I-80 x Northern Imp. /Slam Dunk heifer to calve today.  She is overdue by a day and our heifers always seem to go a week or so early.

On Edit:  Heifer had her calf by herself (about an 80 lb. bull calf), but we were there to pull the placenta off its head - not too sure she would have gotten up fast enough or known what to do.  She then let it lay in a puddle, never licked it off then laid down next to it to watch it try to freeze to death.  Put calf and heifer in calving jug, heifer wanted to kick, hobbled heifer and helped calf.  He seems to be going good and she is starting to figure it out.  She moved to the short list to for further drought reductions.  Hate having to handle perfectly good calves because the cow is a dink as a mother.

Bust:

Reg Angus aborted a BSAR Opportunity 6 weeks early - big disappointment there.

Till-Hill

Booms: Long Shear Pleasure x Grandmaster for a PB Simmental heifer. Awesome but solid black.
Pericles (Galloway) x PB Char. Silver with star on head and holy smokes hair! Her mother was a heifer and was bloated before calving and must have let fluid go or something and passed away. Slight bust on cows part.

Bust: Long Shear Pleasure x JS Sure Bet painted up 63 lb unassisted bull calf ugly as H*LL and not a hardy calf. Also had a prolapse on a custom AI heifer to him. Will no longer use as a heifer bull!

bryan6807

Booms for us
I80 bull out of GVC Suh x Aunt B. Came small and is very proportionate
Heat Seeker heifer out of Ali x saugahatchee cow. calf was big at 93lbs, but is shaping up nicely and she is chromed up.

Bust
Leachman saugahatchee bull out of a real good Hoff Charger x 6807 cow. had high hopes and the calf resembles a Holstein. I am hoping he is just off to a slow start.