What will i get?

Help Support Steer Planet:

TottenClubCalves

Okay I ai'ed my heifer to jakes proud jazz this weekend, my question is will i get a horned calf or a polled calf. my heifer is polled but jakes proud jazz is horned, is the bull's genes more dominant or is it a 50 50 shot at what i get.

pigguy

is your heifer double polled?? if not you will likely get a horned calf but if sh eis you have a 50 50 chance

TottenClubCalves

do you mean her dam and siree polled? if so then yes her dam is a angus limi cross and her sire is paddy o'malley. Know that you said this if the bull is not double horned will i most likely get a polled calf?

Gypsy

Horns are determined in a simple dominate-recessive relationship.  Horned is recessive.  If your cow is polled she could either be homozygous (two polled genes) or heterozygous (1 polled gene and 1 horned gene).  If she is homozygous polled then your calf will be polled even bred to a horned bull.  If she is heterozygous and carries the horned gene then your calf has a 50-50 chance of being either horned or polled.

DL

Gypsy said:
Horns are determined in a simple dominate-recessive relationship.  Horned is recessive.  If your cow is polled she could either be homozygous (two polled genes) or heterozygous (1 polled gene and 1 horned gene).  If she is homozygous polled then your calf will be polled even bred to a horned bull.  If she is heterozygous and carries the horned gene then your calf has a 50-50 chance of being either horned or polled.

Hey Gypsy - been missing ya! Isn't it funny - the dreaded Th and PHA are simple autosomal recessive just like horned/polled - hmmmm

Latest posts