What works on Heat Wave Daughters?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dusty

I think the contribution of HW daughters will be as donors.  They are simply not made to be mommas and I think we all know and can agree on that.  Sure there will be an occasional one that can do it, but far and wide most of them cant.  
That being said I think some bulls that would work on them could possibly be friction  (i think the full flushes would simply be too hard by today's standards).
Hairy Bear if they are really sound.  
Ali seems to click well with HW.  A side note there is that with HW being a 1/4 blood maine, you can potentially have the HW female registered Mainetainer depending on the dam side, so an Ali calf could be a step to upgrading the HW female into getting towards a PB a little quicker with HW genetics in there.  This being a good thing or not is up for debate:).

Another bull I like for HW females is yellow jacket.  I have seen some fall borns by him out of HW females that look really nice.  

horseshoe b

DakotaCow said:
There is a really good reason that Heatwave daughters work so well as Market heifers, because they were born the wrong sex! Sure there are some of his daughters that will be successful in an embryo program but they leave the job of actually being cows to the recips. I have a feeling the simmy deal is so hot now because people just realized that they need cows to have some maternal value to them, the simmental breed has been there just waiting for this time of realization. Think about it, they have all the right pieces, rugged heavy structured, dual purpose cattle that can produce high performing calves that feed well and daughters that milk well and are very maternal. Good females need to do some pretty miraculous things when you think about it and even more so when you put standards on cows. They have to have calves without trouble, MILK WELL, breed back on time for that desireble 365 calving day window, wean a calf that is healthy and will go on feed and do whatever you have bred your cattle to do. One year wonder cows hold no value in the real world either, and the cost of developing heifers for replacement stock is far too great to be asking only 7 or 8 calves out of a cow.
            you sound like a cowman ,  not some want to be steer jock that lives with his cows

horseshoe b

cotullaguy said:
horseshoe b said:
cotullaguy said:
What bull works on Heat Wave daughters?  Anyone had good results with a particular bull? 
     " THE PACKING HOUSE"       heat wave daughters are to terminal, and have small  pelvics, they also would take the milk out of a jersey in one generation,    for  crying out loud females are suppossed to be maternal, no wonder people that raise club calves get laughed at by the real cattle men.    we are never going to get clubbies  headed in the rt. direction by keeping heat wave daughters.   keep more maternal  angus, simmis, or even some maines,  then breed them to terminal bulls for show steers,    sorry had to vent  tired of pulling big calves that have no vigor, and then end up cripple, a won't grow

At one time some people said the same about Sugar Ray Daughters.
  may be that is why  clubbies have the problems they have now

showman ne

does anyone remember when all the talk was about how awful who cows were and how they were just to darn terminal? how all who could throw was cripples? i wonder if somewhere down the road heatwave cows will be as in demand as who cows are now

OH Breeder

Serious comment question. We only used Heat Wave once on a second cow calver who prolapsed with the calf. Not because of size but the shape of the calf. So I have limited experience with Heat wave.
Why wouldn't Heat Wave be more maternal  with Tazz on his momma's side?

Some of the best steers I have seen with a different twist have been Heat Wave x Meyer. I really like that cross.

Throttle

I kept 2 HW daughters last year that are just about to calve. They are both out of super cows and the better of the pair is out of the best cow I've ever owned, super 1/4 Simmy donor. I am thinking if calving goes OK I will flush this good HW this spring to Friction, because I think she is small and soft enough to make that work. Then if she flushes respectably, I think I may go Simmental. Not sure what. Possibly Meyer himself? Wouldn't a small framed, crazy hairy, pencil necked, big bellied, sound footed, THC be the perfect phenotypic match for Meyer or about any other maternal Simmental sire?

JSchroeder

Why wouldn't Heat Wave be more maternal  with Tazz on his momma's side?
The only mystery larger than that is how a bull that throws calves with such consistently large hips is able to throw such consistently small pelvises inside those hips.

Dusty

I do find it kind of ironic when a HW heifer wins a breeding heifer show....:)

LFFASHOWER

Dusty said:
I do find it kind of ironic when a HW heifer wins a breeding heifer show....:)

We have a heifer that was reserve chi. all i hear is im sorry about how she is a heatwave. imo i feel that people are breeding heatwave to anything to get a valuable calf. If the breeders looked more in depth to what kinda cows they are stickin heatwave into we wouldnt have the problem. this is just strictly a opinion

Jill

showman said:
does anyone remember when all the talk was about how awful who cows were and how they were just to darn terminal? how all who could throw was cripples? i wonder if somewhere down the road heatwave cows will be as in demand as who cows are now
While Who females may throw cripples, they can have them naturally and they milk enough to raise that cripple, that is where the difference comes in, IMO you will never see Heat Wave cows in demand for their maternal capabilities.

Here has been our experience, we have kept 4 Heat Wave females over the past couple of years because they were just too good to butcher, they have all been bred to calving ease bulls and we have done C-Sections on all 4 of them, we have lost 1 of the calves and 1 of the heifers, none of them had enough milk to raise a calf and they all went to the sale barn as soon as the calves were weaned.  We have 1 more to calve here in a couple of months and she is out of our most productive cow, we'll see how she does, but I will never keep another Heat Wave, it just isn't worth the expense.  
aj-the cost for a C-Section here is around 300-350, the vet we use for them is an hour away so you can figure another 100 in fuel.  
It is my opinion you (me included) would be money ahead to get what you can out of that market heifer and put your money into an embryo or bred cow instead of having a feed and section bill on a heifer that ends up in the sale barn because she can't have or raise a calf.

I can tell you this much, a Heat Wave cow I think would be great bred to Ali, I wouldn't even consider that on a heifer, while he is calving ease, he has just enough hip in him and there have been too many reports of  big calves and since most of the Heat Wave heifers have been shown and heavily fed, that to me is a disaster waiting to happen.

OH Breeder

aj said:
What do c sects cost now adays?

Emergency Call                $100
C-Section                        $425
Farm Call Large Animal      $65
Drugs                              $ 85

$675
This is what we pay per c-section. It doesn't take long to build up.

hevmando

I am the rookie of rookies in the cattle showing hobby.  My daughter has a Heatwave daughter out of an extrememly productive Sim/Angus dam.  Are we fooling ourselves to even try to breed her?  The person we bought her from whom I trust and respect greatly thought if a Heatwave daughter ever had a chance of being a decent momma, this cross should due to the dam's side.  What are everyone's thoughts on this? 

Bulldaddy

hevmando said:
I am the rookie of rookies in the cattle showing hobby.  My daughter has a Heatwave daughter out of an extrememly productive Sim/Angus dam.  Are we fooling ourselves to even try to breed her?  The person we bought her from whom I trust and respect greatly thought if a Heatwave daughter ever had a chance of being a decent momma, this cross should due to the dam's side.  What are everyone's thoughts on this? 

With the good SimAngus cow on the dam side it may be worth taking a chance.  Why not have your vet measure her pelvis before you breed her?  Then you can maked an informed decision rather than a guess based on hysertia.

CAB

We  haven't had any troubles with HW daughters not being able to have a calf. We've had troubles with them having enough milk to raise a squirrel from the old sayings thread. We do have one HW left & she is out of a 1/2 blood Simi cow. She will be here for some time.

Alpha

showman said:
only to flush for steers or market heifers

coachmac

Bulldaddy said:
hevmando said:

With the good SimAngus cow on the dam side it may be worth taking a chance.  Why not have your vet measure her pelvis before you breed her?  Then you can maked an informed decision rather than a guess based on hysertia.

Good advice!    getting a measurement is cheaper than a C-Sec