What works on Heat Wave Daughters?

Help Support Steer Planet:

WFCC

i would like to find someone who says they have a heat wave heifer/cow that says it will milk, and i would question their judgement on how much milk is enough to feed a calf? not enough milk to feed a cat!

May Cattle Co

WFCC said:
i would like to find someone who says they have a heat wave heifer/cow that says it will milk, and i would question their judgement on how much milk is enough to feed a calf? not enough milk to feed a cat!
[/quote

Well I will say I have a Heat Wave out of Dr. Hooks momma and she milks better than almost any other cow we own. So I guess you can question my judgement. ]

OhShOwEr

We have a heatwave X EXT cow that milks quite well, also have a heatseeker MaineX cow that milks..  Sometimes you have to look at the cows we are breeding these bulls to. 

fed_champions

Srry, but you just showed your lack of knowledge by  keeping Heat Waves as replacement heifers. This bull may be a legend in the steer world, but he's really screwed things up, producing slow growing puds that have to be two years old to reach weight, and thats if they get their at all. Heat waves make good market heifers, but horrible breeding females, thats not the type of genetics you need in your herd.

"The most masculine bulls will throw the most feminine females, and the most feminine females will produce the most masculine bulls" -Doug Pierce

May Cattle Co

fed_champions said:
Srry, but you just showed your lack of knowledge by  keeping Heat Waves as replacement heifers. This bull may be a legend in the steer world, but he's really screwed things up, producing slow growing puds that have to be two years old to reach weight, and thats if they get their at all. Heat waves make good market heifers, but horrible breeding females, thats not the type of genetics you need in your herd.

"The most masculine bulls will throw the most feminine females, and the most feminine females will produce the most masculine bulls" -Doug Pierce

I find it rather ironic then if I am so unknowlegeable that breeders such as Mimms and Reimann have Heat Wave replacement heifers. I do know the difference between a market heifer and a breeding heifer and I am by no means saying you should build your herd around HW females, however they can be useful and not all are useless as females.

Reinken Cattle Co.

Just had a calf out of heatwave heifer this morning, still cleaning her off as we speak has good bag and cow had calf within 20 min of me being out there didnt see it happen a 60lb unassisted calf sired by tiny tim.

DTW

I have seen heat waves for mothers and 99% dont milk or have about half the  milk their mothers did.  Even my full flush cows do not milk  neither as much as their mothers either.

As far as birth weight goes on those heat wave daughters.  I have seen one calf be small then the next one huge out of the same bull.  I would say this goes back to heat wave himself and his huge variation in birth weights on his offspring.
Just remember heat wave was a c section himself and was huge.  So he will pass that one to his daughters. 

Good luck with those heat wave cows because there will never be one on this place.  And i know of a very big operation that has raised many champions and bulls that has said it is not worth keeping those heat wave daughters anymore.  And he has kept them in the past.

BrechtCattleCo

I just bought a recip that has a heatwave- strictly buisness calf in her.
What you guys are saying is I shoud pray for a bull?

LFFASHOWER

Everyone has there own opinions as long as you care for them as you do for the rest of your cattle you will be fine and before you buy some heatwave heifers maybe you should look on the mother's sided also

George

Getting in on the conversation kinda late, but I have two Heatwave cows.  One was the first heifer my daughter ever showed.  won two shows as a Mkt heifer kept her and bred her. only one big calf pulled in 5 years a Paddy, (I would stay away from him).  one of the best cows I own, Synchs great, breeds back on first service AI every year, Milks great, nice bloomy big calf every fall, good hair, good disposition.  Second daughter is showing a Hairy Bear Mkt Hfr out of this cow this year.  Other HW cow is the best milker I have she is out of an AngXSim cow.  Nice udder, milks like a holstein, have yet to pull a calf.  She is bred to Hairy Bear this year.  I am happy with mine....I like the Hairy BearX HW so far. Dr. Who on the HW was nice...just a common looking steer.

Bulldaddy

LFFASHOWER said:
Everyone has there own opinions as long as you care for them as you do for the rest of your cattle you will be fine and before you buy some heatwave heifers maybe you should look on the mother's sided also

This is the smartest comment that I have read yet on this thread and makes so much sense!

Bone2011

Does anyone else think that the bigger hip we put in some of these clubbies the smaller their pelvic size is? Just a thought I was pondering.

CAB

This is the smartest comment that I have read yet on this thread and makes so much sense!

This absolutely makes sense, but time after time after time, the PPL that have all tried to keep HW daughters have said that you'll throw 3 away for every good one that you get. It takes too much money to develop a heifer and get her to calving to have to throw that many away. I'm sure that PPL that have kept HW females are treating them as they would the rest of the herd.
 I sure would hope for a butt kicking steer if I were to ever use HW again.

BCCC

Its not so much that you should stay away from the HW X IW matings(Paddy on a HW)but that mating is known for some BW, along with some very stout steers.

BretchCattleCo- I'd deffinatly be praying for a steer, I have seen some really nice HWx SB matings.

fed_champions

I am by no means a fan of Heat Wave females, but a mating i would like to see is Lifeline X HW.

I think this bulls added length and muscularity will help contradict the growth problems that trouble heat wave, but HW's moderation and depth of rib should balance out Lifelines tendency to throw hard ribbed ones. If you combine this with the look and structure transferred by both bulls, look out, u may have a great one on your hands.

Besides, as much success as Lifeline has had in Texas, and the legend that heat wave has created i think it would be a pretty logical mating.

May Cattle Co

Fed Champions, I could not agree more with your statement. I have been anxious to try Hairy Bear on a couple HW females to see if that will work.