What would you breed her to?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cattlejunky5

What would you breed this cow to? Well she is a heifer in the picture but is a cow now. She just calved her first calf, and it was an 80# bull. The bulls that i am considering are: CRR About Time 743 ( Hereford ), Bojo, Tiger Woods, And i do have some Monopoly. Also any thoughts on the calf are much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC05670.JPG
    DSC05670.JPG
    878.5 KB · Views: 162

Sassy2899

If it was me I would breed her to someone like Indian Outlaw, Milk Man, or a Heat Wave son.

Bulldaddy

cattlejunky5 said:
What would you breed this cow to? Well she is a heifer in the picture but is a cow now. She just calved her first calf, and it was an 80# bull. The bulls that i am considering are: CRR About Time 743 ( Hereford ), Bojo, Tiger Woods, And i do have some Monopoly. Also any thoughts on the calf are much appreciated. Thanks!

Of the bulls you mention, I like Tiger Woods the best.

kfacres

well if it was me, i would first determine what I wanted in a calf- steer, heifer, or bull... then I would decide, pure or cross...  then I would decide and narrow it down on bulls.. 

BDCO

I think she'd work well with Carpe Diem, I'd also wait till some of the new bulls prove themselves before using them.

cattlejunky5

Thanks Everybody for the responses. Right now I am leaning Tiger Woods... But i am not really sure. Would be nice to have a registered hereford heifer out of her...? Thoughts?

J

JTM

If you are wanting some replacement heifers I would keep with a hereford to get a purebred. If you want my opinion, I like to cross purebreds with other purebreds. I think you can get more consistency and better females.  Of course, if you are looking for a steer then I would have to choose Monopoly from the ones you mentioned.

DakotaCow

I do not think that Monopoly would be your best bet. The resulting calf would be 3/4 british, I realize that it has worked in fact the reserve champion steer at the North Dakota state fair that Cargo's raised was a monopoly our a Herf x Angus mating but the odds are against you. I really like the About Time progeny that I have seen and I have recommended it to many of my clients that are looking for herf influence or raise purebred Hereford cattle. If you are looking to make a steer i would use one of the many proven bulls and not pull the trigger on something that everyone says is the next big thing...until next year when hes just one of last years duds... Something to think about. <cowboy>

amss101

Not on your short list but I would imagine Lautner's Red Rock would tie it all together. Hopefully you will retain Hereford markings and pick up the Heatwave power.

rkmn

time-to-show said:
Not on your short list but I would imagine Lautner's Red Rock would tie it all together. Hopefully you will retain Hereford markings and pick up the Heatwave power.
I also think red rock would work nicely for a Hereford cross calf.
For a purebred heifer to retain in your herd, we have had good luck with Grand Slam. A purebred steer out of this mating should be decent as well.

LostFarmer

If you want to stay pure I would look at TFR Cyrus or his brothers.  I was impressed with 4 heifers out of 4 very different cows.  The breeder tried him on a few styles to see what he would do.  The result was he worked on a pure hereford, a maine angus, a straight maine, and simangus.  I was impressed all the way around.  He improved on them all.  They are going to try him to get a set of heifers to try.  I liked him a lot.