What would you do?

Help Support Steer Planet:

rick vanderbeek

I just ran off my farm hand for possable stealing power tools, hand tools, etc.  I work away quit a bit, for months at a time; anyway We have caught him taking round bales of hay, square bales of hay, straw, grain, even cat food for the outside cats.  I had him on a farm charge account and found where he charged over 600.00 for hog feed and chicken feed and supplies threw out a period of time, until I caught it, and deducted it from his pay over time. We recently came up missing a skill saw and I ended up recovering it back from him with slight arguement. Now, today I was going to use a portable basnd saw, which I have had for 15 yrs, but it is missing?!  I questioned him on it and gave him a chance to go home and find it, or go retreive it from whom ever has it.  He has been layed of from work for the last 3 yrs and we try to help him with food,, give him used furniture, and extra work arond the farm for extra money.he's good about being he to take care of the cattle, all this time, but now that he has no other income, other than the little I give him, things are coming up missing?!  Part of his work is on a bartter system (started in May) in exchange for us working together doing Hay.  I just told him to make this right and find the missing portaband saw and all would be forgotten. I also told him that we have helped him in the past, and would continue to do so, if he returns the saw and some of the hand tools that have come up missing. We haven't ever had anything come up missing, until he started working hear, which iI told him. I told hime there would be no hay work exchange  until things would be made right.  WHAT WOULD YOU DO?  Am I wrong in running him off, or what? I feel bad because he does a good job with taking care of the cows and the sort, but I cann't have stealing!  I know this is a cattle web sight, where by the way, I have bought Two different heifers, from two different people, with great sucsess, so this is far related and I thought I'd ask you folks professinal opinions!  Thanks for letting me vent.  Rick

jasper

If he knows your gone for any length of time, it is my opinion that it will only be a matter of time, before he is inside your home. 
He obviously knows that you are the forgiving kind and have let it "slide" before. I would rather someone that I cant trust, even if I have to train them, than have to worry every time I leave my house. .. "has he stolen again or broke in the house?" just my 2 cents.

oakie

call the sheriff, it's not your fault he can't get his act together

LIMO

My experience is that it may just be a hand tool this week and will turn into a cow next week.  I know it is hard to find good honest help anymore.

Show Heifer

Its your fault for being foolish and not calling the sheriff and filling charges.
I would also cancel all credit cards he is aware of, call any local business and tell them (and send them a letter) that you will not be responsible for his purchases, and I would change locks on everything that had them, and put one on places that don't.

You are being way too nice, and he is taking advantage of you. STOP IT.