What would you do?

Help Support Steer Planet:

AndersenClubCalves

If givin the opprotunity to AI 50 or 60 Purebred Angus cows what bull would you use. At the end of the day im lookin to get into the club calf business. So do i AI these angus cows for a F1, more maternal type of calf and then keep them as replacements and breed the replacements clubby or is there a clubby bull out there that can give a half Angus calf enough power and hair to compete? If giving the oprotunity what would you do? What bulls would you use and why?

frostback

I would not go clubby yet. Go with a couple Simmentals and Maines. Get a good bunch of F1s and on there second calf go to the clubbies. Use clean bulls of both TH and PHA and that gives the option to go with any clubby bull.

Gargan

you would be surprised how much power walks alone would add to these pb angus cows. i would reccommend breeding 10 of them to WA and see what u get. This is just my two cents worth, but ive seen what he can do on pb angus.

STAL19

I agree, I'd breed about 10 of them to walks alone. And breed the rest Maine and Simmy. For Maines id go with chill factor, yellow jacket, and I'd try The Black Russian (full brother to Irish whiskey Griswold is promoting) And for Simmys I'd go with chopper and macho. But that's just me

HAB

I am being biased here, but I would use a black Galloway bull on your Angus females. You will get more bone and hair, without the TH. The females will be extremely maternal, and VERY CONSISTANT. You can then use whatever clubby bull or bulls you want, on your 1/2 Angus 1/2 Galloway cows.

Your foundation cowherd will very predictable, and very economical.

We have seen a HUGE demand for Galloway females for this reason.

The steer mates are very profitable as well, with excellent carcasses and feed efficiency.

www.blegengalloways.com

easttex

I agree I would breed 10 or so to walks alone then use I-80 on some for the Maine then pick a Simmental to breed the rest too. There is a bunch of good Simmental but I would use Macho probably. That's just what I have had the best luck with.

J

JTM

I think your best bet is to get another breed that will compliment the Angus maternally and I believe that breed is Shorthorn. Also, my second pick would be Maine Anjou but the Maines have a rule where a maintainer steer must be sired by a maine in order to get registered. Therefore, it would make more sense at this stage in your program to go with a functional, performance, fancy but not clubby, Shorthorn bull. Get some replacements to start edging your way towards the three way cross that you will want for club calves. Another option would be to go half Shorthorn and half Maine Anjou. IMO, these three breeds crossed make really good show cattle and retain a lot of good maternal traits also.

I'll give you a volume discount on any of my three bulls! O0

Ausley Family Farms

We have been breeding our registered angus cows to Climax for some replacement heifers to go back clubby on. Having great results with this mating. Having some really nice heifers that are going to make some good donors. Got another 2 racks of Climax this year. I dropped in on Matt Lautners chat the other night and he suggested Bodacious on plainer type angus cows. Been seeing some calves out of bodacious and some plainer sale barn cows. He is throwing the hair, bone and muscle that they need to be competitive cattle whether steer or heifer. Just depends which direction you want to go. If it were me I would breed half to Climax and half to Bodacious. JMO

knabe

frostback said:
I would not go clubby yet. Go with a couple Simmentals and Maines. Get a good bunch of F1s and on there second calf go to the clubbies. Use clean bulls of both TH and PHA and that gives the option to go with any clubby bull.

Bingo.  You could even throw in a Fullblood Maine into the mix.

J

JTM

knabe said:
frostback said:

A fullblood Maine? That is actually a great idea. My experience is that the daughters of the Fullblood will throw calves with added bone, powerful hips, and great mothering ability.

AndersenClubCalves

Thanks for all the feed back I really appreciate it. I think im leaning towards the idea of the Simmi's but havent thrown out the idea of a main bull who would you guys suggest ? And when you say Climax your talking about Meyers Climax right ? I might have to purchase a bit of walks alone just to see what happens you never know. Do you think the new bull Chinook would be a good choice? I know he is new and of course no calves to judge him on but based on pedigree i feel like he would make some pretty good heifers.......? Thanks again for all your help.

ZNT

Whether you go with Simi or Maine, I would make sure to use a bull that have good maternal characteristics, moderate birth weight, and TH and PHA free is a must.  This will produce females that will be able to raise calves, counter the higher birth weights that a lot of the club calf sires throw, and will allow you to not be limited to the sires you use due to genetic defect status.

Sounds like a great opportunity.  Good luck.

Woodland Farms Show Cattl

Personally i think i would breed about 10-15 of them clubby and then breed the rest of them to a maturnal maine bull. or galloway, i have seen a lot of good galloway genetics the last little while now that im aware of where they are.

hamburgman

The "older" maine bulls still make great females, Fear This, Pistol Pete etc.  Dr. Who and All about You females are damn good also.  If you want to use simm refer to others on here for that, I just don't know who the good composite bulls are as of lately.

Till-Hill

If they were mine I would sort out the elite proven producers, breed back on time, easy to work with, perfect udder and great feet and legs. On that half of the herd I would use to make females using Hereford and Simmental maternal lines. Other half of the cows that are not the best of the best I would use clubby bulls on like some mentioned allready. Then I'd run a Charolais clean-up terminal bull. Once you get a base herd of F1's you might want to use some angus again to always keep a few PB's around. Just what I would do! Good luck.

AAOK

knabe said:
frostback said:

All the best Maine-Anjou genetics go back to good Angus females bred to a select few Fullblood Maine-Anjou bulls.  Just Do it!

LostFarmer

I would use this bull as my maine and simi influence.  I think his daughter will flat out work as cows in any operation.  Meyer is known to work in the simi-angus deal and the old lash cow isn't exactly a slouch. Lash is a Cunia son so there is your good maternal maine in the background.  For the amount of exposure Whiplash got he still shows up on the bottom of pedigrees too often for it to be a fluke.  These should make good mama's for any purpose. 

http://www.whiteroostercattle.com/sires.html

rasor club calves

Let me just say you are in a VERY GOOD situation to have that many cows and the option to AI them. I would try to breed many different maternal bulls so you have alot of replacements to chose from. BUT I would still breed 10-20 of them to a clubby bull like WA or Monopoly or BIM, etc. I have seen first hand that an old commericial cow bred to a clubby bull throw a heck of a club calf. Numerous times!

rf21970

3 calf crops into our PB Angus experiment, I would say go with a majority of Meyer sons. You can pick, but Macho is gonna be tough to beat. Maximus is great also but you are looking at semen cost of $50 compared to $30 for Macho and I think a saw a sale on Climax at one of the distributors recently for maybe $25. Based on our own experience and hours of internet research. To get those cool baldy females (and steers for that matter), Meyer will give you chrome more consistently. Look at the pedigrees of all the top blazed faced donors out there, and you will see meyer in there somewhere. The steers/bulls will have value as well. We had a couple of Backlash and Fatt Butt calves born this spring that are nice, but I think Meyer grandsons are the way to go.

You have plenty of cows to experiment on if you want to try a few clubbies, but like others have already said, I think you will maximize your potential with Simmis.