What would you flush this cow to?

Help Support Steer Planet:

j3cattleco

Need help deciding what to flush this cow to next.  Color doesn't matter.  We have flushed her to Hidden Treasure and she did really well so we are trying to decide what next.  I have not tested her but I am assuming she is dirty so I am looking for opinions on bulls that have worked for you on cows that are similar in type and kind. 

Thanks

Joshua

Attachments

• daisydonorsmall.jpg
    daisydonorsmall.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 173

OH Breeder

Without knowing her breeding one of my first choice because he seems to breed different than his brothers would be Sull Assett. He seems to breed clubbier from what i have experienced. I have an Assett cow and she works very well with Jake's Proud Jazz. They clicked very well.
Interested to know her breeding

OH Breeder

j3cattleco said:
Sorry that would be pretty important.  She is a Double Vision out of a Maine cow. 

Joshua

Those Trump lines seem to click with Double Stuff lines. I know Sonny and Assett go for a pretty penny but if you are flushing it would seem to me to be worth it. If you were breeding terminal show steers assuming she is dirty lots of options for her I think. Nice cow.  (thumbsup)Will you be selling any flushes out of her or eggs? Do you have pictures of any of her calves?

j3cattleco

Hidden Treasure our New Bull is an Asset.  We bought this cow to specifically for that bull.  We think they will mate up really well.  We have 3 eggs out of him for sale if anyone is interested.  We would also sell a flush if someone was interested.   I attached his pic.  We bought her this past year and I don't have any pics of any previous calves.  She did have a Heatwave heifer this fall that is pretty nice.   I'll get her clipped and pictured this coming spring.  

Joshua

Attachments

• hiddentreasure_finalsmall.jpg
    hiddentreasure_finalsmall.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 163

j3cattleco

The main thing we want to protect is rib and body.  Her heatwave heifer has plenty but, I still want to protect that.  What has everyone's experience been with Troubador.  Hadn't thought about Firewater but once again what about body.  Have thought about the JPJ line, but was looking for something different probably. 

Joshua

justintime

j3cattleco said:
The main thing we want to protect is rib and body.  Her heatwave heifer has plenty but, I still want to protect that.  What has everyone's experience been with Troubador.  Hadn't thought about Firewater but once again what about body.  Have thought about the JPJ line, but was looking for something different probably. 

Joshua

If you want to protect rib and body I would suggest HC FL Touchdown 123T ET . He is moderate framed anc certainly has lots of rib and lower quarter. He also has great hair and passes this on to his offspring. And he is calving very easily as well!  He is an outcross to many American bloodlines as well.

Attachments

• The 2009 Canadian National Champion on pasture.jpg
    The 2009 Canadian National Champion on pasture.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 190

sizzler14

Man Among Boys or there will be a clean Monopoly son in Denver this year colored like a herf called THE Classifier. Raised by Elliott. That bull is a stud

vet tech

If this is the same cow that sold in the Donors Unlimited sale the first thing that came to my kind when I saw her (for club calves) was to belly her up and moderate her with man among boys or monopoly. She had plenty of neck extension, thickness and bone. Good buy. But since you say she is dirty I am not so sure. Troubador may work. Dr. Who for some replacements??

leanbeef

Ok the curiosity is killing me... Why wouldn't you test a cow like that? Aren't you just curious whether she's dirty or not? Even if you don't care whether or not she is, it seems like you would have a lot more options on bulls if you know what she is and know what you can or can't use on her. Unless you don't care...and then I just don't understand that.

Nice looking female. I hope she works out for you. It sure would be cool if she tested clean & you kept the flushes clean and got something really cool out of her like that. Since you assume she's dirty, at least you wouldn't be too disappointed if she didn't test clean...I would just want to know...especially on a cow I was flushing or a female with that much potential.

HAB

At the risk of self promoting, I would say breed her to this bull.

He is clean.

You will get blacks or blues with bone, hair, depth, width, and length.

The females will make great replacements.

He has worked well on Shorthorn X Maine red and whites.

Attachments

• Pericles 050612 cropped 2-1.jpg
    Pericles 050612 cropped 2-1.jpg
    575.3 KB · Views: 112
  • nwssPericles2012.jpg
    nwssPericles2012.jpg
    803.4 KB · Views: 112
  • F-03937-12 - Added Attractions Pericles-page-001.jpg
    F-03937-12 - Added Attractions Pericles-page-001.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 133

chambero

A good friend of mine has a wicked-good fall heifer calf out of Troubador and a Double Vision x Cunia cow.  I don't have a photo.

In my experience, Troubador is a little bit of a gamble.  Most of his calves aren't stout enough,  but I've never had a complete train wreck out of him either.  But if you can get one that is stout enough, they can beat anything out there because they will be cool and smooth.

j3cattleco

As to the testing question we bought her untested so we had to assume she was dirty. I also bought this cow specifically for Hidden Treasure so clean or not didn't matter.  If we assume she's dirty then no harm no foul.  We can't be disappointed.  As to our bull deal previously we have learned that even testing clean doesn't mean they actually are clean.  We would love for her to be but, in my experience to be as stout and big boned as this one they are always dirty.  She also has te ridge on her forehead and the carrier head.

Thanks chambero on the troubadour info.  How does he do body wise?

Joshua