What would you say is the most important key to raising a good project.

Help Support Steer Planet:

vc

I would have to say that I believe the biggest contribution the exhibitor has in their project is feeding properly, I think it can make or break a project.
What do the rest of you think?

blueshorthorn

I would have to say it is most important to me that the kids learn something, enjoy themselves and build relationships.

leanbeef

This is kinda interesting...in just two answers to one question, there are two answers from completely different perspectives. The first sounds like it may have come from somebody who wants to successfully raise and develop a project animal. The second answer sounds like a parent who understands that project animals are a great way to successfully raise and develop kids! I think both answers are right.

J2F

Safety first  <cowboy>
then everything else.

savaged

If by good you mean competitive:

1.  Genetics and calf selection.

2.  Feeding & care.

3.  Hair growth and training.

All three are key.  Miss one and your done ;)

AAOK

Consistent passion and dedication!  Cattle are dumb animals; manageable only through repetition.  If not  applied to every facet of the project, superiority will never be attained.

leanbeef

savaged said:
If by good you mean competitive:

1.  Genetics and calf selection.

2.  Feeding & care.

3.  Hair growth and training.

All three are key.  Miss one and your done ;)

I agree...in terms of being competitive, selection & development are the two biggest factors, and I don't think one can take precedence over the other. The key is finding the best calf that fits your budget and your program, and then developing that calf to it's highest potential. Once you get that part down, presentation is the factor that can separate the top end. Everything pretty much falls in to one of those three categories, and you can't do one or even, in most cases two, and get to the top.

As far as what's most important when you look at the bigger picture...the reasons that make ANY project good for a lotta kids, it comes down to the things it teaches you, the people you meet, and the things you learn. And some lessons are kinda like learning algebra...it's hard to understand why you need it or how you'll use it some day, but you will.

knabe

AAOK said:

Consistent passion and dedication!  Cattle are dumb animals; manageable only through repetition.  If not  applied to every facet of the project, superiority will never be attained.

Hmm. People learn through repetition.  The only reason cattle need repetition is because their self preservation programming must be unwound.  They could probably play violin if we tried hard enough.

leanbeef

knabe said:
AAOK said:

Hmm. People learn through repetition.   The only reason cattle need repetition is because their self preservation programming must be unwound.  They could probably play violin if we tried hard enough.

I don't think that's true. I did see a chicken play a piano once, though.

OH Breeder

Consistency- No matter what you do- feeding grooming daily care etc.
Those calves that excel are on a program and have a daily routine .

cowpoke

vc said:
I would have to say that I believe the biggest contribution the exhibitor has in their project is feeding properly, I think it can make or break a project.
What do the rest of you think?
If you learn something ,enjoyed what you have accomplished,finished what you started,are all more important in future life accomplishments than who won GC.If you made some new friends thru your project workshops or at the fair those things are priceless.The projects that are done as a family are some of lifes good memories.As far as I am concerned the ones who dont do any work ,criticize less fortunate,and win have done nothing.It should be an honor and privilage to be able to repesent yourself and family by doing something you enjoy.If you have done your best that feeling is priceless.Unfortunately the real reason these projects are offered by 4-H and FFA get lost !