What you think of the Bull Sooner

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

I know Steal Force has some good calves , "out of great cows" on the ground, what I was trying to say was that there was so much hype about SF that "blue collar" America jumped on the 3/4 sib, "Star Power", and yes both of the bulls have calves on the ground,but neither have enough to be in the Sm bull bracket that is asking for most influential Sm of all time, but that's JMO.

kanshow

I dont' think a couple years of calves on the ground is long enough to see if a bull is going to be in that upper bracket.  I think proof comes when you see how those sons & daughters produce.  JMO.

That was in reference to Steel Force & Star Power

Jill

Can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't give a plug nickle for Star Power semen!

kanshow

I hear you on that one Jill.    Pure dumb luck saved us on that one & we used Mama's Boy instead. 

knabe

i put up a scan of an old bull in the hall of fame section.  no activity there in a while

colosteers

olsun said:
I have seen Maverick at Hawkeye, and he could be best described as plain or average. I really think that hype on Sooner sold that bull. Maverick is one of several that helped me form my opinion of Sooner.JMO Earl

Well then-- maybe we are looking for something different.   I will give ya that Maverick is not going to stand out in a bunch of cross bred clubby bulls.   But for a pure bred Maines, I thought that Maverick and quite a few of Green Valleys bulls were impressive.  They seemed to have quite a bit of muscle, style, sound, some hair, depth, and eye appeal --- and hopefully be more predictable and reliable than the crossed up clubbys.

I was looking to get away from the whole 3-10 way cross clubby bulls, seems like the lottery of what ya get from crossed up cows.

I would have tried some semen on Maverick--   until his pedigree got infused  with Lautner X hawkeye genes.   I even snapped a couple of pictures of Maverick and the bull I bought, just before leaving the sale ( I dont know how to put them on here).

Have a good one

NSF

imo maverick wasnt even the best bull at the GVC sale. i liked the lot 30 bull personally, maybe not quite as stout but a much more complete package.

colosteers

www.sekgenetics.com/bull_pg.php?bull=2807&breed=4

Knabe--  the above link is the Maverick that I am talking about,  he is a Sooner that sold in Green Valleys sale this spring.

NSF --  ya could very well be right,  I would have been happy to have brought him home to.    I was hunting and judging on the show steer mentality.    Do you know where the lot 30 bull went  and is there semen available?      Didn't matter much which I liked,  was poor and broke and couldn't afford the ones I wanted.    Did get a bull that I think will work out for me,  kind of a low budget sleeper-- we will see.

Have a good one

NSF

im pretty sure his new name is Fortune and Glory. i think Jeff Paulsen(sp?) is tied into him, i think Dunk might be too.