What's it cost to sex semen?

Help Support Steer Planet:

RSC

I believe I remember hearing that you can get sexed semen from frozen semen. If so, what does it cost for the separation process?  For heifer semen, how many straws to get one? How many more straws does it take for a flush on sexed semen? I already have plenty of the semen that I want separated so I'm not really concerned about how much semen I use.

Tony

BSCattle

When we talked to Sexing Technologies about this last spring, they could not refreeze semen they thawed to sex.  It has to be driven directly from Voeglers to their facility after being collected to be sorted and then they freeze it. We inquired about bringing our donor to their facility to breed her right after they sorted our frozen semen, but didn't really get far with it. We took our bull back to Voeglers to be collected, they drove it to Fullerton to be sorted, and in the end we ended up with no good semen to use. :(

TMBCATTLE

Trans ova can sex frozen semen but only to use for IVF. some bulls wont seperate though from what i have been told  so i would check with them. Good luck

husker1

If I remember correctly, in speaking with Daniel at the Fullerton, Ne facility...they can sort using frozen semen...but it has to be used right away and can't be refrozen...that's the kicker. 

Give Daniel a call...very pleasant young guy to work with...even though he is an Aggie!