What's the latest reports on the following sires?

Help Support Steer Planet:

kjd farms

Just wondering what the latest calving, selling, and showing reports have been on the following sires?  Thanks in advance for your answers.

Alias

Bojo

Boardwalk, when will the first calves hit the ground?

Eye Candy

Gigolo Joe

Highliner

Mercedes Benz

Sunseeker

Point Taken

Tyson

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Eye Candy is a very useable bull, not heard of any calving or disposition problems, an the calves we have are very marketable an not seen any problems with structure an produce quite a lot of hair ...

Used ALIAS  with no calving or disposition problems , pretty good hair , used mostly on purebred Charolais an Angus an had no structure problems , but some people have , so try to use good structured cows if you use him... 

Will have some Bojo calves this spring ....

oldwood

have 6 naturals starting in february, 4 embryos around march 3. looking forward to it.

kjd farms

We've started to calve out some of the above mentioned sires with good results except we've got more heifers than we want.  All calves are out of cows that range from 50% black angus to purebreds.

Gigolo Joe, all unassisted, 60-70 lbs at birth.

Alias, all unassisted, 75-110 at birth.

Highliner, unassisted, 75 lbs at birth.

Eye Candy, 1 helped, but only because the feet appeared to be crossed, easy hand pull.  The other 2 unassisted, 70-80 lbs at birth.  Vigorous calves, very quick to get up and nurse.

We're waiting on Tyson and Highliner to finish things off.

The other bulls I listed are either in the tank for breeding this year or we are/were considering them for use.

Thanks for the feedback.

Joe Boy

Sunseeker is a great bull.  A carrier.  But I would not use him on a heifer.  His calves grow and he will not make the little pine knots that some bulls make.  Tyson will build you a square box, and downsize.  I like him to for large cows only.  This is just my opinion.

kjd farms

No, all calves were out of 3rd calvers and older.

We usually don't breed any clubby bulls to our heifers, but we did breed two for this year, but sold both of them in the fall.  One was bred to Tyson and the other to Gigolo Joe.  Both are due to calve in February and March.

We have bred our heifers to Ali in the past without any problems.  We have also bred our heifers to our Angus herd bull who is a TC Grid Topper son.  Our plan for this year is to breed our heifers to Gigolo Joe, Mercedes Benz, Final Answer, and/or Bismarck.  All of the heifers we are keeping this year are Who Made Who heifers and a PVF New Horizon 001 purebred heifer.

shortyisqueen

Duncan Livestock said:
Just wondering what the latest calving, selling, and showing reports have been on the following sires?  Thanks in advance for your answers.

We have used Gigolo Joe and Tyson in the past on straight British (Shorthorn x Hereford) cows. Both were really easy calving, however, the Tyson's stomped the Gigolo Joe's hands down when it came weaning time. We found, on straight British cows that the Gigolo Joes were inconsistent in type and needed more power & hair. They did have really nice dispositions and were decent in their structure. I would definitely recommend using him on a smaller, extremely powerful cow with more than enough bone. The Tysons were almost disappointing when they were born ("This little squirt won't make much") but they really came on. Good bone, good hair, highly marketable. We bought more Tyson semen for this spring - his calves just get better and better with age. We sold many of his sons and daughters as show calves. Here is a link to a thread with a Tyson steer (blue steer at the top): http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=24089.msg232670#msg232670

We are having our first Highliner, Sunseeker and Eye Candy calves born now... so far, so good, but really, its too soon to tell!!

ZNT

Though we have not used all the sires on your list, I will say that we have had very good luck with Tyson.  He makes them thick and moderate, with some style.  We will be making our Tyson son, Montego Bay, public for the spring breeding season, and showing his full sister at Ft. Worth.

We have not bred to Alias, so I do not have any experience with the calving end of it, but the one Alias heifer we have at our place is outstanding.  She is super wide topped, wide tracking, and nice haired, but moderate made.

Sunseeker is the last of the bulls that I have had experience with, and he makes them very hairy, big boned with lots of leg hair.  They also have large hips and big tops, but seem to lack the lower quarter to make the big time ones.

steerraiser

I've used Alias a lot.  He will make them chubbier and stouter boned than most bulls out there.  Now, he will make a few cripples as well.  So, use him on cows that are pretty and sound and you will be very happy with the product.

I've used Tyson some and he makes nice cattle.  Stout and muscular and the calves have a nice look.  I kept 6 daughters of his and they had their first calves this fall.  All of them developed pretty small udders and do not milk that great so far.  They are nice looking 1st calf heifers, but I wish they would milk a little better.  The steer calves are stout and look very good though.  Don't know if I helped or not, I'm gonna see if these Tyson females milk better on their next calf next fall and go from there.

JDP

If you search Larry martins top 40 lot 23 there is pictures of a Tyson we raised this past year. I really like the type but.. the ones we have need to be better. I am guessing it is probably my cows fault. Man that is tuff to say. That being said we had six head last year and they are all good just not great.

Show Steaks

I have expeirence with only gigolo joe on your list.  nice bull in person and super thick hair on him and his calves.
I'd breed him to something that has bone
he'll add the hair, puppy dog attitude and guts
conistent calving ease i've seen, they are fairly ugly at birth but that is like most calving ease bulls

OH Breeder

the Highliner calves do they seem to have little more leg to them? The few I saw had little more frame.
Bojo calves hitting the ground? I wanted to see a crop or two out of him before using him.

worthabit

we have 4 eye Candy's, 3 heifer and a bull. 2 out of purebred angus cows and 2 out of angus cross. Very hairy and surprisingly leggy. They have got plenty of bone and mass to go with it though. 103, 100, 108 and 80 lbs all unassisted with the smallest one out of a huge kruggerand 410H cow...go figure.

kjd farms

Thanks for all of the feedback.

All of our AI calves have landed with the following results which has an update from my previous post.

We've started to calve out some of the above mentioned sires with good results except we've got more heifers than we want.  All calves are out of cows that range from 50% black angus to purebreds.

Gigolo Joe, all unassisted, 60-70 lbs at birth.  Looking at the GJ calves, you wouldn't know how small they were at birth, they fit right in with the rest.

Alias, all unassisted, 75-110 at birth.  Nice calves.

Highliner, unassisted, 75-100 lbs at birth.  Plenty of leg so far, but look good.

Eye Candy, 1 helped, but only because the feet appeared to be crossed, easy hand pull.  The other 2 unassisted, 70-80 lbs at birth.  Vigorous calves, very quick to get up and nurse.  Probably our best calf is by Eye Candy.

Tyson, 95 lb heifer calf.  This cow always has big calves.  She's had big Doctor Who, Ali, Who Made Who, and now Tyson calves that ranged from 90-120 lbs.

We've decided to use Boardwalk, Gigolo Joe, Eye Candy, Highliner, Mercedes Benz, and Monopoly for this breeding season.  Also going to breed our club calf sired heifers and cows to SAV Final Answer and SAV Bismarck.  Didn't have Monopoly on the list before, but now that he is available in Canada again, we will be using him.

Telos

Really impressed with Tyson. Just an all around consistant breeding bull... I like cattle with very few holes in them and have yet to see a throw away.

Tyson, from what I've seen stamps a nice structure on his calves as well. That is worth it's weight in gold for making good cows to use with clubby bulls. He is capable of downsizing but can follow the size of the cow in some cases especially on Chi-Maine influenced cows. Birth weights are reasonable.

I would think Tyson or even one of his sons would make prefect cows especially for club calf programs. They appear to have good angle and not too straight. I really like ZNT Montego Bay, a son, and think he has great potential for making tremendous cows.

Sassy2899

Had a heifer born in February last year that was out of Tyson.  She weighed about 90lbs when she was born. Cow didn't have a single problem having the calf, seeing as it was her first calf. The heifer is tall and resenmbles her mother. She is a Chi-Maine cow.  So what Telos said about Tyson and Chi-Maine cows has provine to be true in my case.

justme

Had quiet a few Gigolo Joe calves.  From my experience, the calves tend to follow the cows type.  That was ok with me because the heifers I bred him to I really liked.  My daughter will be showing a Gigolo Joe yearling bull this year.  You can get some red and white out of Joe, just from my experience.

We have an Alias heifer in the showbarn.  Shes a Who Made Who x Alias.  Really really like her.  Got her from Major's and she was 97 lbs. unassisted.  Hairiest heifer I ever had in the barn.  Colleen named her Cotton Candy because her hair was just like cotton candy being spun when she was born.