What's the scoop on the new trouble in Angus......

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I'm assuming the Simmental people are advising their members because some of them are using angus in their Simmental appendix program. As far as your vet and his buddies are concerned wow I don't know. Do they believe man has been to the moon? I am not aware of any real question of the ccs. The assc AAA has acknowledged ccs exist's. It is sure not the end of the world but it is also acknowledged by everybody except by your vet. I don't think it is spread that bad except the one line.jmo

Rustynail

Nobody is saying that there is not an issue AJ.  But the numbers don't add up.  Gardiners have more carriers than any herd in the country, have only had .04 % of their herd have been still born.  I can't believe that they are just lucky.  My silly vet has seen these calves for 30 years.  How old is 1680?

Cattledog

Rustynail said:
Nobody is saying that there is not an issue AJ.  But the numbers don't add up.  Gardiners have more carriers than any herd in the country, have only had .04 % of their herd have been still born.  I can't believe that they are just lucky.  My silly vet has seen these calves for 30 years.  How old is 1680?

One possible explanation for a lack of CCS calves could be that the cows abort them before they full term.  Mother nature usually does a pretty good job of taking care of something that isn't quite right.  Gardiners also have a very extensive ET program....I would be interested to see what their conception ratio on the 1680 linebred progeny would be.  Could be the same as everything else but just a thought.

Rustynail

I don't mean CCS , THATS OLD  news , the Angus people an Garndniers knew about this two years ago, the same politics's that run our country run the Angus group. No what is the new genetic defect that we need to look at. 

I stand corrected.  Sorry in hijack your thread.

aj

Your vet may be on to something and apparently is. Maybe the ccs goes way back. Maybe he has been seeing th affected calves. I don't remember when the Shorthorn bull Improver was imported to the U.S..Early 70's I think and he brought th in. VERY INTERESTING. Sounds like they may be on to something out there.

Show Heifer

rustynail - I don't care what the kangaroos are doing either. But, the folks down there noticed that certain AMERICAN bulls were creating deformed calves, so they IMPORTED semen from AMERICAN bulls and started researching.  I guess to me, that makes it relevant to me.

And Gardiners do have a herd that is "infected" with the defective gene. Not saying that .4% affected rate is not true, but I know of another herd (no, I won't reveal them) that was on the fore front of this and they have a way higher rate than that with VERY SIMILIAR, and basically the same genetics.  They are the ones who tried to get the aaa to investigate several years ago, but it fell on deaf ears. This time, they went a different route.

It was my understanding that the gene has been identified and the test was in the verification and patent process right now. I did hear that it was NOT a simple recessive trait, so maybe that complicated the heredity.  Maybe, maybe not.