When are your first calves to start?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Wow, I looked at my calendar & my first calf is due 12/22! I can't believe it coming up so soon! this will be a Hard Core out of an Ice Man x Foreplay. I guess I can still use a T name. Anyone got any good U names for next year? Ugh, that might be hard or ugly!

My good old Foreplay cow is due to Telos' Triple X. She is due the middle of January. She looks like she's got triplets! I think she can barely fit through the door. If she gets any bigger, her belly will be dragging on the ground.

So, when do you start your calving season? Hope the weather holds out here & we don't have the minus 5 like last year! Mamma Cow told me she have over 30 calving the first week of February. I believe she will be a very busy gal! We need to get "justme" to wean hers before the new ones start! With her hubby hurt I think they are way behind.

Best of luck to all & hope those fall babies are growing good!
Red

OH Breeder

I have three due in January- 2, 18 and 28. Three in Feb. 10,13, 22 Four in March( in March excited about a sunseeker x meyer coming) and the rest are April. One is due in May the last one to calve.
I am really excited as 4 of my 5 Eggs stuck and are January and February Calves- 2 QUantum Queen x Double Vision and Two Primo  x Gwendalyne -pretty good investment . I am hoping to start putting in eggs for next year by APril and May.

knabe

red said:
Wow, I looked at my calendar & my first calf is due 12/22! I can't believe it coming up so soon! this will be a Hard Core out of an Ice Man x Foreplay. I guess I can still use a T name. Anyone got any good U names for next year? Ugh, that might be hard or ugly!

My good old Foreplay cow is due to Telos' Triple X. She is due the middle of January. She looks like she's got triplets! I think she can barely fit through the door. If she gets any bigger, her belly will be dragging on the ground.

So, when do you start your calving season? Hope the weather holds out here & we don't have the minus 5 like last year! Mamma Cow told me she have over 30 calving the first week of February. I believe she will be a very busy gal! We need to get "justme" to wean hers before the new ones start! With her hubby hurt I think they are way behind.

Red

names to trigger other names
miss triple play
miss triple tease
miss triple play
miss second base
miss fore XXX
core sample
miss ice tea
miss Ca phe sua da or cafe sua da  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%A0_ph%C3%AA_s%E1%BB%AFa_%C4%91%C3%A1  this drink is totally awesome. 

dutch pride

First two due middle of March. We calve them outside so we need to wait until it warms up a little hopfully. :)

DLZ

Doc

I've got a THF Dble Visionx Roan Sue dtr due in Jan to Pa Do Boxer, 2- Et's  Boxer x Pa Do Kitten 845 due in Jan., Red Vision x  Irish Lassie ET due in April, Leggs x American Dreams Et due in May, then several more Boxer & CF Primo AI calves.  (clapping)

common sense

Well I swore that we weren't going to have anything calving close to Denver but of course I didn't know at the time that things would be a week later!!!!  The Queen of Cow Co is due the weekend we are in Denver!  I think I have it covered though.  Last time this happened I had a Vet, a lawyer and two ag instructors in the barn at two in the morning covering maternity duty.  They did a pretty good job but they kept tripping over their egos!  (lol)  Talk about your over-educated calf pullers!!!

U names:  now here's some fun Red!  Well, if you hate the calf there are options like Ugly or Ugh.  Of course this could lead to an entirely new thread. Unanimous, Underfed, U-tube, Useless, Udderly delicious, Uba tuba, Up a Creek...

OH Breeder

red said:
I guess I can still use a T name. Anyone got any good U names for next year? Ugh, that might be hard or ugly!
Red

Ursula
Utah
Uma
The is a shorthorn line called " Una Mary"

red

I just might have to break from tradition & call my calves something different than the first initial. I just can't get excited about the U names. Of course hubby will come up w/ a generic name like this year & everything will be Timmy or whatever.

How about Under Dog?!!! (dog)  I've got a good one for you CS, how about Under the Covers?

Red

ZNT

red said:

Red

I think you are going to like your Triple X baby quite a bit.  Calves have been running in that 75 pound range for the most part this fall in Nebraska.  Sorry I have not gotten you any pics yet of our Triple X babies.  I need to get on that.  We have a really cool blaze face out of Triple X and a Cookie Monster X Maine X Angus cow.  She only had a 68# BW.  Just like their sire, these Triple X calves are going to just get better as they get older.  They do not look like mini fat steers at 1 month old.  I know that this name doesn't start with T or U, but how about Miss Striptease for the Foreplay cow's calf.

shortdawg

Red, The first one should definetly be " Uno " ;D

I have one more fall calf due, a Trump/Jiffy x a Gold Link/Shadra. I already have a roan ET bull calf out of her by Sonny that's pretty good. The Trump/Jiffy bull is putting some nice calves on the ground. I have some out of Sim/Angus, Angus, and Shorthorn cows but the one yet to come is the one I'm really excited about. I had one yesterday by him out of my best angus ( Elixir 100/EXT ) cow that is the real deal. The other calves are out of Tonic, Macho, In Focus, and Sin City. I have two ET heifer calves on the way ( Due 3/3 ) that are Bloodstones out of the CF Lucky Charm 255 cow.

justintime

A few years ago, I decided that I was going to shorten my calving period by trying to cut a month off each end of the calving season. I eliminated calving in January and pull my bulls a month earlier than I used to do. So far it has worked out pretty well. The hardest part is not breeding females, in early April,  that are in standing heat after calving.... that are literally standing a few feet from the chute. There were several reasons I decided to do this. Firstly, I do almost all the  calving by myself.January nights are oftentimes, very long and very cold.( The last two years, January was a better month to calve in that March was, here though!!) January is long ways from green grass in this country, so I felt it would be easier on the cows to calve them a little closer to grasstime. By cutting a month off each end of the calving season, has also produced a much more uniform calf crop in the fall. ( It has a drawback as it makes it much more difficult to decide which calves will be shown in the fall)

I will have a few ET calves in the last few days of January( at the earliest) and calving in general will start pretty close to Feb 1. We preg tested 72 first calf heifers today and my vet told me that if I had any business to do or anyone I would like to see before spring arrived, I better get it done, as she doubts I will get off the farm once calving starts. Out of 72 heifers, we only had 1 open, and it looks like close to 90% stuck in the first cycle after the bull was turned out. 60 of these heifers were turned out onto pasture with one bull and it looks like he was pretty busy as every heifer is in calf and the vet seems to think that they will all calve within a month of each other. It appears that this bull has inherited his sire's breeding ability. He is  a full Irish Shorthorn bull sired by Highfield Irish Mist. We brought Irish Mist in from Ireland in the early 70s and he consistently settled over 100 females each year for 12 years before he died of a twisted gut at almost 14 years of age. I have always referred to him as being a " once in a lifetime" sire, and it now appears his son may be following his sires legacy.  We used this bull on most of our heifers last year and he proved to have the shortest gestation length of any sire we have ever used and as a result we never assisted any heifers bred to him. All calved unassisted with live vigorous calves. To me this is a very important trait as unassisted births on heifers also translates into a much higher percentage of first calf heifers that rebreed early in the breeding season.

February and March are going to be " interesting" months here as I synchronized and bred a set of cows, flushed and implanted a set of recips, and turned 6 herd sires out in early May. If anyone isn't busy  and wants to experience a '24 hour a day/ 7 days a week farm vacation" pack some warm clothes, a few sets of water proof boots and head our way. ( If you seriously consider this for more than 5 seconds, please seek out pychological help. )

Rocky Hill Simmental

I have some commercial cows that are due in either late December or January. I didn't write it down on the calender but I remember the bull chasing them.  :p My two cows that are going to be the next to calve have dairy in them. One of the cows is a holstein and the other one is heifer- half jersey, half some random beef breed... My holstein had the fattest calf last year.

U Names:
Unique
Unity (heifer)
Urania (heifer)
Uzuri (heifer)
Ulysses (bull/steer)
Urban Legend

MAMACOW

We have 36 cows due all recips on Feb 2nd,!!! Then I have 28 due on the 14th no valentines dinner for us I say.  THen the rest are spread out. :)

shortyisqueen

Our embryo calves are all due January 1. Guess I know where I'll be to kick off 2008 - in the barn!!! Happy new years!

Everything calves at our place in January, I think we have about 70 due in the first 21 days! Yikes!!!

common sense

DING DING DING!!!  You win the great name award today.  Urban Legend!!!!  That is a great one.  That would be a great name for a great bull!!!  LOVE IT!!!

Rocky Hill Simmental said:
I have some commercial cows that are due in either late December or January. I didn't write it down on the calender but I remember the bull chasing them.  :p My two cows that are going to be the next to calve have dairy in them. One of the cows is a holstein and the other one is heifer- half jersey, half some random beef breed... My holstein had the fattest calf last year.

U Names:
Unique
Unity (heifer)
Urania (heifer)
Uzuri (heifer)
Ulysses (bull/steer)
Urban Legend

cattlejunky

December.  It's heifer we showed this summer, bred to Money man.  Can't wait to see what we get.  It's kind of like Christmas everytime a new calf is born.