When did you or you child start showing?

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

My story is a lot like RHS's i started showing cattle at 16 and i really wish i could have started 12 years before that. I have been showing/riding horses since before i could walk. I have made a lot of people mad (especially in my chapter... like our prez) because they use to be the big cattle person of our chapter and won everything and they were the advisors pet, and then i had a crummy first year and then came back (i dont mean this to sound cocky, Im just proud ;D) and start winning and the "big showman" who thinks he is gods gift to cattle gets last in 3 out of four classes gets mad and wont talk to me for three months after that... bad sportsmanship will make you lose Karma points :D in my book. I would loveto get any kids i have started showing as soon as possible.

AAOK

strawroanlova said:
i started about a year and a half ago when i was 11,at the count fair you cant show heifers pigs or sheep until eight and steers until 12.we had a 4 year old at are state fair showing a 1700 pond bull

strawroanlova - our State Fair.....our, not are state fair.  Capitalize at the beginning of a sentence.  Period at the end of a sentence.  PLEASE!

AAOK

Sorry for the rant above.  I can't help myself.

This old man was 35 when our older daughter began showing pigs.  She was 11 and did pretty well.  Her pig actually made our County Premium Sale her second year.  I knew ZERO.  I had just learned a couple of years before that there was such a thing as a Livestock Show.  When daughter #2 turned 9, she wanted to show a heifer.  We ended up with daughter #1 upgrading to a heifer, so I was now 38.  Didn't know "Come Here" from "Sick 'em" about Show Calves.

Looking back, now 17 years ago, I think it was to our advantage to start without the knowledge of all the things most families do wrong simply because that's the way everybody else does it.  Our girls had almost a non-existant Ag Ed instructor.  He professed to being a Pig Man, but we soon learned that to be only in his imagination.  We were on our own.  I became the Coach, my wife the Cheer Leader, and our girls very willing, and hard working Students.  Our Cow/Calf operation never was very large (we once had 12 cows for a short while), but what God lead us to accomplish in the Show Ring was pretty phenomenal.  As far as I know, there has still not been an Oklahoma family surpass our wins in the Maine-Anjou breed with Bred and Owned calves. 

It's not about when you start, what you know, or how much you can spend that will take you to the mountain top.  It's how much faith, dedication and love you put into what you do.

Merry CHRISTmas! 

Dero

My firt time in the ring I was 4, both my brother and I statred out showing dairy cattle. We started showing steers when I was about 12. Never relly liked the dariy thing myself, we continued running two strings untill 2000 when we dispersed the dairy. Now we still run two stringsone Chi one Sim.

Latest posts