When do I sync?

Help Support Steer Planet:

shorthornfan

I want to get some cows AI'd and I was hoping some of our bovine reproduction experts could chime in on this one and help me out.  Here's what's happening:
I have about 10 cows that calved over a time period from March 8 to May 1.  I also have 2 spring of '07 heifers and one fall of '06 heifer that have never been bred.  I got a job at school for the summer, so I won't be around much and I'm the only one in the family that knows how to AI.  However, I will be home for about 4 days when my sister graduates (getting in late on 6/5 and leaving sometime 6/9).  Would it be possible to try and synchronize the cattle and AI as many as possible at that time?  I know it's a short window, but even if I could get a few of them that would be better than nothing (the others would be taken to the neighbor's bull). So a few questions are: When would I need to synchronize and how? (I've use CIDRs in the past but can't recall the exact protocol).  How far out from calving would the cows have to be to try and sync them?  I'm assuming May 1 is too late, but I don't actually know.  And how realistic is it to expect that I can time them to come in over just a few days?  The plan would be to sync, heat detect and breed, but would it be possible to also do timed AI on anything that I don't see in heat before I leave?  As you can see, I'm still working on this but I would appreciate any suggestions or thoughts.  Thanks!

GLZ

I do a lot of syncing so that cows will come in heat on the weekends when I am around a lot more.  To do this I use CIDR's.

I put the CIDR in on a Thursday with a shot of gnrh, wait one week (the following Thursday) take the CIDR out and give the shot of Lutylase.  After that it should be 1-3 days for them to come in, which usually winds up being the Saturday or Sunday after. 

I usually sync them about 35-45 days after they calve.  I aim for breeding back at 45 days, but I have had luck going as early as 35 days.

So with that in mind looking at your schedule below.  If you could get someone to put the CIDRs in on like May 28 or 29, and then someone to take them out on June 4 or 5, they should come into heat while you are at home.

CAB

Still learning is pretty much right on. I would put the cidrs in everything Tuesday evevning the 27th of May, @ let's say 5pm, with a shot of GnRH, pull them 7 full days later with a shot of either lute or estrumate. You should have cows starting to cycle on the eveing of the 5th, but I would want to have someone cking them the morning of the 5th. Should breed most of the cows on the 6th and 7th. Anything that hasn't showed signs of heat by time that you have to leave, I would AI & give a second shot of GnRH, wait a few days and turn them into the neighbor's clean-up bull. Good Luck.

CAB

2 mls/dose, 5-6mls for lute. It should work out fairly well for you. I target mine for a Sunday breeding schedule and it works out pretty well. Good Luck, Cab

shorthornfan

Thank you all for the help!  My sister will be around to check cows, so I'm not too worried about the heat detection I'm just glad that it's looking good for timing on the breeding.  I guess that means I should order the CIDRs and semen and go for it  :)

Latest posts