When does a person have too much Influence?

Help Support Steer Planet:

simtal

I think if you sold a group of calves that were shorthorn x angus and were black they'd bring good money, if they were advertised as angus sired.  But if you advertised that those calves were part shorthorn, I doubt you'd have many bids. 

CAB

Knabe, what about rat?  How do they marble and would we try that? Those thoroughbreds look to be musclebound, I'll bet they are tough chewing, but hey who knows, I haven't ever had the pleasure.

knabe

there's a major difference in muscle type in thoroughbreds based on the percentage of aerobic versus anaerobic muscle.  dont' know what the breakdown is.  basically, a sprinter doesn't breath till after the finish line, and  one that does goes longer distances. of course there are ones that excel in the middle distances, and they are probably interemediate.  the big heart gene from eclipse probably is a factor as well.  it just dawned on me that pendleton got fat at the fair with wilbur in the second movie charlottes web (i guess the first one too), and that i am breeding to pendleton this year.  i hope he works out the same way and translate some of that belly fill into a good product.

here's some tips on cooking rat.

http://www.earthportals.com/Portal_Messenger/ratfordinner.html

I must admit, however, I was astonished at how good the rat meat actually tasted.

maybe rats are the catfishor bottom feeder equivalent.

Recipe for ground rat meat and chili paste:

Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup fish oil
    * 1/4 cup vegetable oil
    * 1-1/2 cups of dried red chili peppers
    * 4 long green peppers
    * 8 large bay leaves
    * 1/2 cup holy basil leaf
    * 1 tablespoon salt
    * 4 chopped garlic cloves
    * 4 small rats

knabe

well, if they were frame score .005 on rummages feed, they might be 0.006 on full feed, so it's probably a regional issue.  them framey rats have less retail cut per unit  .00cwt.

i'd go with 4 and invite the neigbors.

garybob

simtal said:
I think if you sold a group of calves that were shorthorn x angus and were black they'd bring good money, if they were advertised as angus sired.  But if you advertised that those calves were part shorthorn, I doubt you'd have many bids. 
That's the trouble with trends. I had an awful time dealing with the local Auction Market, and, all the owner would say was, "Dammit, cuz THat's what people believe!"

Seriously. A guy I went to High School with (who wasn't in FFA or 4H, he was a jock whose grandfather was a Cattleman), flunked outta the local Ju-Co (NACTC, Harrison, AR), went to ALaska as a Pipeline Welder, then inherited a typical NW AR 80 acres with 3 Contract Poultry Houses. You guys from Appalachia, the Ohio Valley, the Ozarks and Eastern Oklahoma and NE Texas, I'm sure, all know his kind. You know--the guy from the East that thinks that He's a "cowboy" & Team Ropes. Owns a Roping Arena, too. Anyway, he always buys only BLACK Corrientes to rope, because he can dehorn 'em and get good enough money out of 'em, when they get too ''stale'' to rope.

I can remember Hereford calves getting docked because they were red-necked. On the flip-side, if the all-perfect ''feather'' on the neck extened past the withers, then that calf was called a ''lineback" and recieved a larger discount. This was, mind you, Ladies and Gents, when folks in Y'alls' part of the USA were already breeding Yellow-baldy and smoky cows to Continental Sires. Change takes time everywhere, but, the wheel turns even slower here, if it ever turns at all. We're just now, finally within the past 5 years, going 'black'', with buyers finally asking whether or not, a group of calves are heavier on the Angus influence, or are they just Black-Continentals.

GB

CAB

No GB, the trouble with trends  is, you can't change them with anything but the next trend. Kinda like trading in Double Stuff for Heat Wave and so on. Us clubbie breeder's are messing up one breed at a time. Galloway next as they throw one into the fire for destruction.

Dusty

CAB said:
No GB, the trouble with trends  is, you can't change them with anything but the next trend. Kinda like trading in Double Stuff for Heat Wave and so on. Us clubbie breeder's are messing up one breed at a time. Galloway next as they throw one into the fire for destruction.

Galloways???

garybob

Dusty said:
CAB said:

Galloways???
Got a college friend that is a Herdsman for UpHill Farm in New York, if you really want to go that route.

GB