When is to early ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

lcc10

When is it to early to give a Cow a shot to come back into heat after having a calf ? the calf is almost 2 months old . looking at hoping to win houston with this pair . ;D

texas111

you should be alright.  it depends on your cows condition.  if she is in good health she should cycle within 90 days on her own.  you can give a shot of lutalice at 2 months if she doesnt cycle you can wait 15 days and try again.  hope this helps.

lcc10

texas111 said:
you should be alright.  it depends on your cows condition.  if she is in good health she should cycle within 90 days on her own.  you can give a shot of lutalice at 2 months if she doesnt cycle you can wait 15 days and try again.  hope this helps.

She is in wonderful health i just have a ten thousand dollar bull at my house and was wondering if she would be fine if i went ahead and gave her a shot before she cycled. dont want to push the reproductive system to hard .

CAB

lcc10 said:
When is it to early to give a Cow a shot to come back into heat after having a calf ? the calf is almost 2 months old . looking at hoping to win houston with this pair . ;D

Some of us will try to set up a late calver @ 40 days post calving. Most of us would use a cidr protocol.

lcc10

CAB said:
lcc10 said:

Some of us will try to set up a late calver @ 40 days post calving. Most of us would use a cidr protocol.

* i would like to AI her back to Mercedes Benz (thats what her first calf is out of and do I tell you he is a MAN for a 60 day old calf. look for him in the future if you are at all interested in Maines. i'll try and get pics this afternoon. ) but we are doing a bunch of showing and idk if she will settle with all the travel and what not so she will most likely get live bred to a WHR shorthorn bull ,

texas111

you could use a cidr but why take the extra time if you have a bull there waiting to service her.  why use anything at all.  she will cycle when she does.  its all relative to her overall health.  if you are going to AI her to anther bull, then you would use the lutalice shot or use cedr or any of the other products on the market.  if it were me and i was just AI one caow then i would use the lut shot.  cheap and easy.

texas111

your not pushing the reproductive organs they will not work properly unless the cow is in good enough health to be bred.  dont worry about pushing her too hard she will e fine.  if she is out of a good cow family she was made to be a calf maker.  the faster they cycle the more $ she will earn you.

J

JTM

Using only a lutalyse shot will not always work. It depends on where she is in her cycle. That is why I said use a cidr, but it would be easier to just give her a shot and hope it works.

lcc10

Well the calf is 60 days old now so we are gonna give the cow a shot of lute, because she is in the pasture with the bull.

My show heifer on the other hand calved December 9th . so the calf is about 48 days old . so we are gonna use the cedar method and AI back to mercedez & hope for a heifer calf this time ( :

SeannyT

45 days should be the minimum time to wait. If it were me, I would wait till she naturally comes into cycle. The uterus needs at least a month to involute after birth, which is a reason why the cow does not come into heat that soon naturally. Like someone mentioned, lutalyse will not work if she has not started her natural cycle yet. Pushing the envelope on reproduction can have adverse effects on the cow in the future.

Latest posts