When should they be born

Help Support Steer Planet:

Moocow11

i am getting ready to go look at some calves. Ok our fair is july 15. and minimum weight for steers is 1150 and heifers are 1050. and i would like to go to state fair. so when should they be born and about how much should they be weighing. also how much do you think a 06 fall heifer would be weighing in july

karlie

Our fair is the same time as yours. We have them finished perfectly for the  fair if they are born April-May. They normally make the light-end of the heavy weight class.
When is your state fair? Do you want your steer finished for state or county?? Is july 15 your state or county fair?

Moocow11

our county fair is the 15th. our state is sept 7. but the thing is i am pretty sure you have to get res or grand to quilify for state. but the thing is no one goes to state in our county so ever one has their calves finished for county. and there is a family who buys 7 calves each for about 5000 one for each breed class. so they always get grand. so i will need to have them finished at about 1200 so i can finish them at 1350 for state.

Jill

I would select one born in March early April at the latest.  If I remember right you are from Kansas and the only stipulation is that your extension agent needs to sign for you to go to state in beef, in our county any blue ribbon exibit is eligible.  The entry deadline for state fair happens before most of the county fairs take place so they work a little different then most projects, but check with you county agent to see how it works in your county.