when to shave?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ham

Our county show is in the middle of march.  Some are recommending we shave the calves now, and others say way till right before the show.  What are the benefits of shaving now?

olsencattleco

I assume you are talking about slick shearing. We like to shear all of our steers about a month to a month and a half from the show, then do it again a couples days before. For us this seems to work better so that we can have time to really condition the skin and the little bit of hair that is left pops more instead of having a stale look.

I'm sure there is no right or wrong but like i said, this seems to work for us.

eric

chambero

We slicked our San Antonio calf this evening.  The earlier the better.  You do have to redo them right before the show, less than a week.

olsencattleco

Have you slicked your Yellow Jacket yet? I would love to see an updated picture of him.

I think the yellow jackets we had this fall are going to work. I've got a yellow jacket heifer out of a heatwave/meyer cow that is the best calf ive raised at this point. I dont think we have enough traffic to get her sold for what she is worth. Hopefully kris will like her enough to get her in his first sale.

eric

chambero

Yep, it was him.  I'll send you one.  He turned out better than I thought he would.  He stood reserve grand at a pretty tough prospect show in Decatur in November.  He's real heavy and I'd like him to be a little fatter, but he's the heaviest muscled calf we've ever fed.  Got a full sister to him this fall.

SlickTxMaine

We slick one week before the show.  Gives time to condition the skin and avoid the dry, flakies. 

ham

Do you run the risk of loosing some cover if you shave them now? 

oakbar

I personally think boys should wait until they reach puberty and girls should shave by April 1st or at least before they put on their bikini for the first itime each year.  Ha, Ha!! 

Sorry, I just couldn't hlep it!!

Cardinal_Crest_Shorthorns

So I'm assuming you guys are showing at shows that require a slick shear? We don't have any of those in Kentucky, do you like them?

chambero

You'll put on more cover because the calf's body tells his brain its colder so they'll tend to eat more and convert it more to fat than muscle.  At least that's we think.

xxcc

ham said:
What are the benefits of shaving now?

I don't know, you tell me.  I wouldn't say this is what they mean when people talk about 'friends with benefits'.

Attachments

• benefits.jpg
    benefits.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 209