Where does all the money come from?

Help Support Steer Planet:

bryan6807

I recently attended The Jones Show cattle High Standards sale and I was impressed by the set of cattle they had to offer. I thought the bred females were a little fat, but overall a nice set. I know beef prices are high, I am just wondering how you tap into that currency. Their sale avg. was over 10k/head. It took a at least $3100 to even get one bought. I have a set of females that are pretty solid and I can hardly give them away. Where is all the money coming from that somebody can drop 30k, 40k, and even 70k on a heifer calf? I understand they are reputable breeders and have had a lot of success in the show ring. I also know that I am only using their sale as a example, but I have even followed a lot of the online sales and I have a have a hard time believing there is that much money in the show cattle industry. We had a monopoly steer we tried to push hard 3 summers ago, said he had state fair potential and nobody even came to look, he was priced at $2000 all summer, ended up selling him for just over $1600 and he ended up being the Reserve Chi Steer at the 2013 Indiana State fair. How is it some guys get $3000 for a so so calf?

Spencer10218

A lot of it has to do with advertisement. The more places you advertise, and the more people that know your herd and the depth of your herd the better chance you have of getting more money for your calf. If your a new breeder but have some decent calves your best bet would be to partner up with a couple other smaller breeders and have an online auction. Some guys that drop 30k + on heifers have a successful business or breeding program, and some people are just well financed

sizzler14

What I am about to say has nothing to do with Jones Show Cattle ( I was bidding on a few breds myself): You have to watch, as  a lot of selling these calves are smoke screens. Lets start with promotional bulls. Recently I saw where a bull was purchased in south dakota for $120,000.00 as a calf. Now ask me if I truly believe that, and I will say the result is the same thing a bull deposits when he lifts up his tail  ;) So a lot of guys bid up calves to a huge price and then sells it to aa reputal person they know well for a average price. But next year they will promote well hey this is a full sib to that 50,000 calf from last year. I saw pics of a calf that sold at a sale in my state and I would say he was a 1750 maybe a $2000 calf, it sold for like $7750 or so and the girl who shows for the people bought it. Now do you really think it sold for $7750? The next thing you have to watch is online sales. I just saw a sale that is around today tomorrow or tuesday with some animals in it. The same bidder bidded on every single animal in there but one. Please tell me they arent running the bids. So first thing is, you have to be able to weed through the smoke screen. Secondly a lot of farmers have 20-50 cows. Market prices are up like you said. They also creates more revenue for farmers to spend to buy cows so take that into consideration. We do not have a lot of cows. We got good ones though. We bought a show heifer for almost $5000 this september, and bid on 2 cows in Jones sale and ran them up to $5000. But we also took a bull calf to the stocksale in august. It weighed 560 and we got $2.51 a pound. Make a long story short, we made a lot of money just off our throw aways this year. So we had more money to play with this year. Our program has had some success. I will tell you this, the more shows you go to, the more honest you are to people, and the more you're in the backdrop, the more traffic you will have at your place. We have been focusing on not how much we sell our calves for, but to who we sell them too. Get your calves in the right homes, let them win a few times and you're going to make more money down the road. Advertising is where its at. I have sold more calves off of Facebook then I have anywhere because of people being able to see it. Lastly, always remember you have to spend money to make money. But a lot of people spending big money on calves, also pay a lot of monthly bills as well because they're in debt up to their eyeballs. I would be willing to bet a lot of money, very very very few calves besides ones sold at cyclone trace, griswold, sullivans, and even jones actually sell for more than $25,000. There is a hand full that do, but a lot of those $50,000 ones are said to be sold for that, but only maybe $7500-$10000 is truly spent.

Bulldaddy

Sometimes it is just hype or smoke and mirrors (I'll trade you my $20,000 bull for your $20,000 cow).  That said, there are lots of successful professionals, businessmen and, yes, mineral rights owners, too, who would rather spend their soon to be taxed wealth on good cattle than send a big check to the IRS to support folks in Detroit who want to sit on their butts all day long instead of working for a living.  Its hard to bid against those guys but you gotta admire them! 

GONEWEST

Maybe not from this year, but from recent past years lots of grain farmers have had LOTS of money they had to spend. Someone told me that at a well known sale last year of club calf producing females there were very few in the seats without seed corn caps on. It averaged over 10,000 on bred crossbred females.

Diamond

The day the horse was classified as entertainment was the day the wealthy looked for another avenue to write off income. What would you do? Give the money to uncle sam, or spend it on a joyful experience for your child that would teach them lessons that no other avenue can provide? I'm a small business owner, even I do it. These guys are on a much bigger level. Personally, I rather buy cattle from hard working Americans, then pass it on to those looking for hand outs.

Pleasant Grove Farms

we live in cattle country

when you can take any type or breed of healthy 500 lb. steer to the salebarn and receive over $1500,
you start running into tax problems.  our herds out here are about 200 to 500 head; the cattle people
finally have their day;

the grain farmers have had theirs, now it's our turn.
we can finally afford to have a little fun!