Where is the best state to show a steer born in August?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dooling1

We have a really good shorthorn steer, but the darn thing was born in August. It doesn't fit the show season in IL, but he needs to be shown. Where is the best area or state to try and sell the calf in?

Thanks in advance.

red

Dooling1 said:
We have a really good shorthorn steer, but the darn thing was born in August. It doesn't fit the show season in IL, but he needs to be shown. Where is the best area or state to try and sell the calf in?

Thanks in advance.

(welcome)

Welome aboard Dooling!  Boy, that's a tuffy! Don't believe it would fit into too many shows here in Ohio. What about the southern states? I think Shortdawg shows calves that are fall born in the GA area? Texas & surrounding states also has shows for more fall born calves.
Do you have any picutres of him? what's he out of also.

Thanks
Red

Joe Boy

I think TEXAS would be the place for a calf born in August.  Fort Worth show is in the end of January, then you have San Antonio, San Angelo in February and Houston in late Feb or early March followed by Austin.  Most calves are born in August to early October for these shows and a few come in July.  I try to have my calves in September in order to beat the heat.  I have lost calves born in August when it is 115 or so.

chambero

August calves are right on target for Texas majors.  You can have them a little older for Fort Worth and a little younger for Houston.  We also calve in September to get past the heat a little bit.  Our pastures are wide open with little shade.  We always have a few born in late August, but sometimes its touch and go on them having heatstrokes.

shortdawg

Red, It's been hot down here for this time of the year. We got all our corn planted and will plant all our watermelons this coming week.

Clubcalfshowgirl

Dooling1 said:

Thanks in advance.

Theres a few shows in Florida that are earlyer if u send me pictures and info and prices i might be interstead b/c i was looking for a shorthorn steer. But i couldn't find any i liked and was going back to a shorthorn cross steers for the black/white and club calves

shortdawg

Clubcalfshowgirl, Email me and I'll send you a pic of a steer we bought from Dooling that we exhibited this past season. He was Reserve at his last show.

red

shortdawg said:
Red, It's been hot down here for this time of the year. We got all our corn planted and will plant all our watermelons this coming week.

Wow, we are getting equipment ready but way too wet to even attempt anything yet. There're calling for a chance of snow later in the week.

Red

jlcattle

He would work in some Florida shows.  I am in SW Fl and our show is late January.  If you would, send me some info I would be interested in looking at him

Thanks

red

jlcattle said:
He would work in some Florida shows.  I am in SW Fl and our show is late January.  If you would, send me some info I would be interested in looking at him

Thanks

(welcome)

Welcome JLcattle!!!!!!

Red

Latest posts