Where to start? Marketable sires!?

Help Support Steer Planet:

lomheimshowcattle

We've got 5 "commercial" heifers (angus just can't be registered) that I want to breed to club calve sires. Since its our first breeding of this type (my folks have had Angus for 40 years) we wanted marketable, functional sires that will allow for possible retained females as well ( main goal is sell steer/heifer prospects- and keep to show for ourselves)

All input is welcome, sires dont have to carry much angus since already 50 % there with mommas- red or black is fine :) This heifers are good for structure and volume, may lack size for some programs, but they won't have a lack of function!

Thanks everyone appreciate all the information!

vc

If you cant go Angus the first calf (I would ) and you just have to go cluby I would go with I80 or Jesse James or a Calving Ease Simmy bull. It is going to be hard to breed cluby for steers and also try and get good replacements, you really have to be selective on your bull you choose.

lomheimshowcattle

VC I see your point I probably should of stated that first crop I'm not concerned with replacements, I know it takes selective breeding and time to get good replacement females....this first crop will likely be all sold....I got ahead of myself in my writing LOL!

rackranch

I think I would start crossing them with Simmental bulls and then take your sim/angus crosses and bred for clubby show prospects.  G-Luck
with whatever you decide

frostback

If you want the offspring for clubbies I would look into Meyer 734 sons. Not sure how many of them are heifer bulls though. Angus Meyer cows do well when bred to clubby bulls.

Gargan

frostback said:
If you want the offspring for clubbies I would look into Meyer 734 sons. Not sure how many of them are heifer bulls though. Angus Meyer cows do well when bred to clubby bulls.
I agree, 3c macho, 3c sturdy, rsvp, and picassso would come to the top of my list. good luck

mark tenenbaum

Excell 80-(full sib to Nat Jr Show champ maintainer-and hes blue Roan),BP Comfort Zone, (Stoutest low BW maine,dam is outcross Canadian),Chore Boy,Ego Trip,and for a new Simm twist yatta yatta-TAILGATOR(Trausch) JAKES BLUE MOON-the Ohlde Sharthorn and Angus influence is huge to say the least.White Jazz-lots of cool Oklahoma clubbiexmaine etc-I like,you like,and EVVVVVREYBODY likes blues.-I think he'll throw em. All these are hiefer bulls-and would work for various reasons on Angus. O0

gary89

Dream Catcher would be a good one for calving ease and they make great mothers. Pb Simmental.

corn n cows

Sound slike you are on the right track - using an Angus base.  Take advantage of the F1 opportunity.  I have been breeding Angus heifers to heifer sexed Grandmaster (last year)  & heifer sexed Uno Mas (both Simmy)  this year. You will Never pull a heifer calf & you have a good start for the next generation to keep the Simmy thing going or go clubby.

Cattle Cards

I love my Jesse James heifer calf out of a Heat Wave x Meyer first calf heifer.  75 lbs.  Hairy.  Doing very well.  Bred that heifer right back to him because I like how it worked the first time.  Just bred a Reg. Angus heifer by Walker to Jesse James as well.  I think the Total Solution (Who Made Who) breeding is going to be great for producing females.

However, I come from a Simmental background and I remember both of Meyer 734's Grand Sires (TNT MR T & ABC BIG-N-TAL JUNIOR) when there were popular siring both show winners and performance cattle.  Here are some interesting options for creating Clubby momma's:
***Backlash T1: 1/2 SM 1/4 MA 1/4 AN by Meyer 734 - $20 and Full brother to Whiplash - http://www.bullbarn.com/simmepd.asp?ID=518.  Ask people about Whiplash.
**Maximus 391: 1/2 SM 3/8 AN 1/8 MA by Meyer 734 x FGJ HABANERO - http://www.bovine-elite.com/simmepd2.asp?idProduct=4105
*Theobald 969 - 1/2 SM x AN x MA by Meyer 734 x Stinger - http://www.cattlevisions.com/Composite/Theobald%20969.php

lomheimshowcattle

corn n cows said:
Sound slike you are on the right track - using an Angus base.  Take advantage of the F1 opportunity.  I have been breeding Angus heifers to heifer sexed Grandmaster (last year)  & heifer sexed Uno Mas (both Simmy)  this year. You will Never pull a heifer calf & you have a good start for the next generation to keep the Simmy thing going or go clubby.

Hmmmm the sexed semen does make me think......cause I never thought of that.....is it more $$$ ??

I just realized too THAT any bulls I find must be eligible  to ship to Canada......sigh!

RyanChandler

corn n cows said:

That opportunity is dwindled when you cross Angus and a Registered, Angus-infused Crossbred. 

Bulldaddy

lomshowcattle said:
Any Simmental sires recommended? Lower birth weight/easy calvers ideal since they will be first calf heifers.....
I have had good luck with Dikemans Surebet and Ranchhand on heifers. Also used and like 3-c macho but he is not suitable for heifers unless you like to take them out the side door.

lomheimshowcattle

-XBAR- said:
corn n cows said:

That opportunity is dwindled when you cross Angus and a Registered, Angus-infused Crossbred.

So if I understand your opinion correct XBAR, purebred to purebred (of different breeds) is not the best F1 option anymore?

RyanChandler

There was no opinion stated; only fact.  Purebred to purebred is in fact the best option.  Unfortunately, how science defines 'purebred' and how the sim assoc defines 'purebred' are conflicting to say the least.  The tenth most used bull as far as registrations in the Sim Assoc this year was SAV Final Answer - an Angus bull!  Simmentals are unstable composites with varying % blood.

lomheimshowcattle

XBAR I see what your saying and value that fact, since I've been searching Sim bulls I've noticed that(and kinda scratched my head)....i guess fullblood is a word to better describe a true "purebred" in Simmentals...

Do other associations allow for % registration- I see Chi and Maine do.....from what I understand...

frostback

-XBAR- said:
There was no opinion stated; only fact.  Purebred to purebred is in fact the best option.  Unfortunately, how science defines 'purebred' and how the sim assoc defines 'purebred' are conflicting to say the least.  The tenth most used bull as far as registrations in the Sim Assoc this year was SAV Final Answer - an Angus bull!  Simmentals are unstable composites with varying % blood.
Could you post a link to that list please?