Where to start? Marketable sires!?

Help Support Steer Planet:

RyanChandler

lomshowcattle said:
XBAR I see what your saying and value that fact, since I've been searching Sim bulls I've noticed that(and kinda scratched my head)....i guess fullblood is a word to better describe a true "purebred" in Simmentals...

Do other associations allow for % registration- I see Chi and Maine do.....from what I understand...

Yes, it is a misnomer.  The 'Fullblood' designation is actually reserved for the traditional (real) fullbloods whose origins trace to imported bulls. They are tan and white.

Both Chi and Maine's qualifications for registration are a joke. 3/4 qualifies a 'purebred status' in Maines while even a lower % for Chi.  3/4 purebred is like a white guy with a black grandpa calling himself pure white.  Silly I know. 

Everything I've read suggest it takes 7 crosses to a stabilized purebred (an animal whose genetics are fixed at a set %) to rid gene expression from the infused breed.  3/4 is only 2 crosses.

RyanChandler

frostback said:
-XBAR- said:
There was no opinion stated; only fact.  Purebred to purebred is in fact the best option.  Unfortunately, how science defines 'purebred' and how the sim assoc defines 'purebred' are conflicting to say the least.  The tenth most used bull as far as registrations in the Sim Assoc this year was SAV Final Answer - an Angus bull!  Simmentals are unstable composites with varying % blood.
Could you post a link to that list please?

This years Genex catalog.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 218

lomheimshowcattle

-XBAR- said:
lomshowcattle said:
XBAR I see what your saying and value that fact, since I've been searching Sim bulls I've noticed that(and kinda scratched my head)....i guess fullblood is a word to better describe a true "purebred" in Simmentals...

Do other associations allow for % registration- I see Chi and Maine do.....from what I understand...

Yes, it is a misnomer.  The 'Fullblood' designation is actually reserved for the traditional (real) fullbloods whose origins trace to imported bulls. They are tan and white.

Both Chi and Maine's qualifications for registration are a joke. 3/4 qualifies a 'purebred status' in Maines while even a lower % for Chi.  3/4 purebred is like a white guy with a black grandpa calling himself pure white.  Silly I know. 

Everything I've read suggest it takes 7 crosses to a stabilized purebred (an animal whose genetics are fixed at a set %) to rid gene expression from the infused breed.  3/4 is only 2 crosses.

I will say (from my observation) in the last 15-20 years since I showed Jr and 4-H you see vertically little of the defined Fullbloods in the Sim's. Growing up its all people brought out, whether 4-H or local fairs.....but I also remember when "black"(at least up here) was the color to have and all the breeds moved to black color (allowed by % registry..as I've learned ) if a kid won with a black animal the next year EVEYRONE got on that bandwagon.....

Now I may not be popular for saying it, but meh!

goodnight

I would use a black, purebred Simmental bull on them. But, for the first calf I would consider going Angus on them. I know it takes up time, but a cowherd is a lifelong proposition. I like Meyer 734 on Angus, but the cost is high. I would consider a bull like 3c Macho, then take those heifers and breed them to full flush. Only after you get that cross (Full flush x Simmental x angus) would I go a TH carrier on them, and only after those females are mature. That mating will allow you use a black TH carrier like Monopoly or walks alone, a charolais influenced TH carrier like milkman or solid gold, or a colored up TH carrier like MAB. All will work on that female, and you have a little more control over the terminal cross's color pattern and breed make-up. These are all crossed up cattle, so you never really know, but this cross has worked for years.

Latest posts