Which breed is better??

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

OK the boards are boreing  right now so heres a topic that will hopefully liven it up  (cow)

OK Which breed in your opinion is the best and why? show ring, or feed lot?

ROAD WARRIOR

I'm just a little predgudiced but for me Red Angus are my choice. 1) they cross well with about any other breed or mixture of breeds for the commercial breeder. 2) they are based on performance and productivity. 3) They have never followed the show ring trends that most other breeds have. 4) Calving ease and maternal traits 5) Most have excellent dispositions. 6) So far we have not had any TH or PHA or other genetically transmitted problems. 7) In general they are good, functional cattle. On the down side - there is too much emphasis from the national office on EPDs and the powers that be have done a horrendous job of promoting all aspects of the breed.
PS - They cross really good with some of the "clubby" bulls.

Show Heifer

Myabe this has been covered before RW, but what does Mulberry cross well with????
Calving ease? etc...

ROAD WARRIOR

The calving ease deal is still in the proving stages - I bred some heifers to him this spring so I will know more next calving season. I'm banking on him being a reasonably easy calving bull but probably not a whole sale heifer bull, time will tell. I have been using him on some pretty fronted, moderately large framed cows ( is that a real discription?) that could use a little more rib shape - really hoping for a trruck load of heifer calves. I know a few guys that are using him on some cherokee canyon daughters hoping he will give them enough "gas". I think he should work well on the 121R's, Logans, several of the Pieper bred cows and hopefully some of my "funky" pedigree females.

steermaker

Feed Lot-anything that gains 3+ lbs. per day with a 5 to 1 (or better feed effciency)  ;D

Show ring:  same as above only they grow hair O0 like a Chia Pet, and have the dispostion of a 10 year old hound dog!!

(lol)