Which bull to use on her?

Help Support Steer Planet:

FriedgesCharolais

Curious what pb angus bull would work best on her. Been scratching my brain trying to think of it. I have Duff Hobart, SAV Bismark, PVF Windfall, OSU Concept in my tank. Been looking at either SCC First and Goal or Silverias Style but not sure which one would work better. She is a By-product out of a cow goin back to TC Freedom. Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 214

FriedgesCharolais

I forgot to mentions his will be her second calf. She has an awesome Bismarck calf at her side right now, but would like something that will have a little more birthweight and performance. Thanks

DSCSD

Have you looked into Consensus 7229? I know hes not on your list.... but hes worth looking into more

GoWyo

B&J Renegade, but that might overdo it a little on BW and lack of CE.  EXAR Blue Chip, SMR/CCC First Option.  If looking more production oriented and less show, Bushs Triple Threat, Baldridge Waylon, SAV 707 Rito 9969, SAV Resource. 

FriedgesCharolais

I should say I'm looking for show ring genetic that have some performance to sell Bulls. Also looking at DDA Dameron Northern Lights. Anyone have any expierence with him? Also First n goal, what have birth weights been like on his calves?

cowboy_nyk

I know little about the bull but I thought his type would compliment your heifer well from what I can tell.  First Class and Northern Improvement are pretty potent show sires.

FriedgesCharolais

Yup and she doesnt have any of that in her pedigree. Although he is young he looks to have some decent performance numbers on top of a good looking phenotype.

CMANGUS

american classic will add growth...  used him on a couple moderate 2nd calf heifers and the calves are phenominal... both of them equally as good...  calves were mid to uper 70's birthweight and have exploded with growth

one of these calves is out of a iron mountain x TC Forever cow the other is out of a RC Wiley Post x Bear Mtn Pride cow

Attachments

• IMG_2650.JPG
    IMG_2650.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2652.JPG
    IMG_2652.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2772.JPG
    IMG_2772.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 170

FriedgesCharolais

It's funny you mention American Classic because I just looked at him on gene website and has good enough numbers and I really like the video of him they have on their website. I think it's the route I'm going to go on her.

cowboy_nyk

I think he (American Classic) should work nicely.  I considered him for the flush on my show cow but he isn't available in Canada.

Cattle Cards

She looks long spined.  Probably free moving.  Maybe needs to be softened up a bit.  Maybe a tick more spring of rib.  A bull that impresses me, gives the "Show Look" and improves what a cow already offers is Barstow Cash.  Combines Sitz Upward 307R on the top with SAV Final Answer 0035 on the bottom.  Ought to make good maternal prospects as well.

http://www.krebsranch.com/herdsires/Barstow-Cash.html

Attachments

• Barstow-Cash.jpg
    Barstow-Cash.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 268

cowboy_nyk

I have nothing against Cash but I'd be hesitant to double up on big framed bulls like TC Freedom and Upward if you're gunning for show ring animals.  Just my opinion though.

FriedgesCharolais

She is definately a little larger framed heifer already, not sure on what he frame size is but I wouldnt want one a whole lot bigger than her. I think you kind of hit the nail on the head with her needing to be softened up a nickel because she is a powerhouse of a heifer and knew when we were showing her that she was probably going to be on top of the class or bottom of the class because there are not many pb angus calves that are as heavy muscled as her. I think she is adaquate in terms of spring of rib. I attached a picture of her when toward the end of her show career and I also snapped a quick pic of her Bismarck heifer calf she has at her side this morning I attached.

Attachments

• 85.JPG
    85.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 501.JPG
    501.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 212

Cattle Cards

cowboy_nyk said:
I have nothing against Cash but I'd be hesitant to double up on big framed bulls like TC Freedom and Upward if you're gunning for show ring animals.  Just my opinion though.

God forbid we have a heifer/cow that's bigger than a 5.5 Frame Score.  I have a 56" Angus second calf heifer and a 58" 3rd calf Chi cow (Heat Wave x Meyer).  With today's bulls, I'd prefer to have a larger cow.  Seen too many clubby bred calves with no cannon bones that mature early, Jackpot well but you never see again.  Especially here in the south.

FriedgesCharolais

I agree that there are too many small cows but she is not one. She is, guessing, 53-55 inches tall and is a Feb 2013. So according to the angus assn frame score chart that is 6-7 frame score which is plenty big for me. Ideally would like to keep them in that range.

cowboy_nyk

That's what I had assumed.  Many of the Freedom cows are well over the 6.0 frame score if not pushing 7.0.  My cows aren't small and the Freedom and Upwards are the largest.  While I have no problem with bigger cows, I assume that anything that big would have trouble in the show ring in the US.

FriedgesCharolais

Yup she will be a big girl when she is mature. I like my cows to be around 1300 pounds at maturity and she may be a tick bigger but also with it seeming like the Angus breed is going back to the way they started out and getting smaller. I dont mind a little bigger cow.