which bull to use?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ms Ray

Looking for suggestions on which bull to use, I do not have a picture to post, but what we are looking for is a bull that will help with the following:  the cow gets under herself so we are looking for a sound bull, that can add bone and width but is also a low birth weight as the cow tends to have big calves.  (her lightest calf was 87 angus). 

leanbeef

What breed is the cow & what breeds are you interested in? Or what direction do you plan to go with the calf?

OH Breeder

the more I see Walks Alone calves the more I like him. I do not know anything about BW on him but he seems to add body, muscle and some bone. I do not have any personal experience. If anyone does would be great to hear.

leanbeef

Well, to get a smoke, you would obviously have to introduce the dilution gene and hope your cow doesn't carry a red gene. A smoke bull could do that, or the obvious choice would be a Charolais. If your cow IS a red carrier, you could get a red or yellow colored calf, the diluted red version of smoke. As far as type, I might look at an Angus bull on a cow that's bred like that, and that's me making some assumptions based on her breed & not knowing if she really fits those stereotypes or not. If you like the idea of going back with another continental breed & you like color, a black baldy Simmental or SimAngus bull might be worth a look. A couple of folks have mentioned Limestone Trifecta...he's a black baldy 3/4 Angus 1/4 Simmental out of a Meyer 734 daughter...haven't seen any calves out of him, but I would think something loosened would be kinda cool on a cow like yours.

Ms Ray

IMAG0299.jpg

here is a picture of her, we had a smoke out of her 2 years ago that we really liked, and have also breed to an angus that we did not care for, I am mostly worried about birth weight. 

Mark H

Ms ray,

I don't know the birth weight history of any of the bulls you used or the cow so the bulls I am going to recommend are heifer bulls that will give you better everything along with the diluter gene to get your smoke.
A bull I like for you is Oakdale Duke: http://www.bovine-elite.com/charepd2.asp?idProduct=1976&id2nd=35
Also LT Bluegrass is popular but with slightly less calving ease: http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1CH00947&lang=EN
A LT Bluegrass son with great CE numbers is WC Big Ben: http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/charolais.asp?CodTouro=29CH0206 Note none of these bulls will give you great bone and they aren't power bulls like Firewater or big performance bulls. To get more bone and power you have to give up some calving ease  and use a bull like Keys All State: http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1CH00962&lang=EN
Hope this helps.

ZNT

Montego Bay would be worth taking a look at.  His first calf crop has been very well received, and he has proven himself to be a calving ease Maine sire with a high percentage of his first calf crop being out of first calf heifers.  His calves are loaded with muscle and style, and have been super hairy.  He is TH and PHA free, and a red gene carrier, so you may have a chance of getting a non-black calf.

Here is a link to his website to see him and news about him and his offspring. 

http://www.zntcattle.com/p/montego-bay.html

leanbeef

I don't know Charolais bloodlines at all, and i'm not particularly a Charolais fan, but I've always liked the looks of the Bluegrass bull as well as Firewater. I can understand being cautious of Firewater in the birth weight category, but if I were looking for a bull to bring in the dullness gene, I would have to consider Bluegrass. REALLY like the looks of that son, Big Ben, too!

mark tenenbaum

I agree with ZNT-thats a good black bull,and he had body since day one. There is a Shorthorn posted by Will(I think) Elbee throwback. That line of cattle produces more calves that look like them,EG the strongest blood of about anything Ive seen-of any breed. If you like that rib hip,and low BW-thats what you are gonna get,even in cases where a cow is shallow-that old leder blood changes them. O0

ZNT

mark tenenbaum said:
I agree with ZNT-thats a good black bull,and he had body since day one.

Thanks Mark.  Everyone that has used MB has been very happy with the calves, and are re-breeding to him.  I have heard rumors that there may be a couple of Montego Bay heifers in a big Maine sale next month in Oklahoma.  Will have to see for sure when the catalog comes out.

Ms Ray

I looked at MB he looks nice my son is set on a char- I think we are going to go with color me up

Mark H

Color Me Up is not a Charolais bull he is a Char Cross Bull. 
Keep these things in mind:
As a smoke Color Me Up  is heterozygous for the diluter gene and will only have a 50% chance of producing a smoke or buckskin- a purebred white bull makes this a certainty.
Color Me Up has has no calving information at all.  If you are concerned about birth weight why take the risk when proven heifer bulls  are available that give you the best chance for an easy birth? 

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
TWO BULLS THAT come to mind that might be more proven are Troubador ,definitely no calving problem .......Not pure but 3/4 or more ......Pure Charolais bulls more proven in the club world with calving ease are HTL  Lead on SIRE of THE Troubador bull .
Another bull with quite a lot success is the Chunky Monkey bull that is also purebreed and semen juat made available this year ......Both of these bulls can be found in SEK Genetics ....

CAB

I know that you have decided on Char., but I think looking @ your cow I would be tempted to breed her to DMCC Body Builder 1J & hope for a heifer to keep & breed. I think that your cow needs softened up, moderated frame wise, depth of rib, & spring of rib. I also agree that if you do breed Char. use a proven high percentage or PB bull. Here's the link to DMCC below. SEK/Genetic Horizon's carry the bull @ $20.00. Good luck

http://www.diamondmcattle.com/bulls.html

HerefordGuy

I really liked Mark H's suggestions.  Big bodied bulls with breed leading calving ease.

I can't help but suggest a Hereford bull.  Doesn't give you a smoke, but would add color.  http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1HP00829&lang=EN  719T is in the top 1% for calving ease and weaning weight, with an actual birth weight of 75 pounds.  Plus in the top 5% of the breed for rib eye area.