Which bull would you use?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dale L

Looking for suggestions on breeding a 1/2 blood simmy 2nd calver.  She is a little straight in the rear legs so I need a bull that throws sound legs.  She has plenty of leg, not too much but it wouldn't hurt if the bull reduced the frame size a little.  She has plenty of bone.  Very deep sided but could use a little more spring of rib.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

OH Breeder

Dale L said:
Looking for suggestions on breeding a 1/2 blood simmy 2nd calver.  She is a little straight in the rear legs so I need a bull that throws sound legs.  She has plenty of leg, not too much but it wouldn't hurt if the bull reduced the frame size a little.  She has plenty of bone.  Very deep sided but could use a little more spring of rib.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My first question would be what is her breeding? Sire dam?
What do you want out of her? terminal animals or replacements or breeding stock?

I was super impressed with the Unstoppable calves I have seen. From what I understand he also has some mature size and is not a little fella. I wish I could find his mature pic on my computer.

Dale L

Sorry for leaving out some of the info.  If you have suggestions for terminal and replacements I would love to hear them.  She is sired by Wagr Target x Commercial Angus.  Thanks for the suggestions so far.

OH Breeder

Dale L said:
Sorry for leaving out some of the info.  If you have suggestions for terminal and replacements I would love to hear them.  She is sired by Wagr Target x Commercial Angus.  Thanks for the suggestions so far.

So here are my humble opinions....
I am not a simmi breeder. BUT I did use Macho on a WMW cow and it has been one of my most maternal female lines we have ever had. Macho WMW to Dream On love moderate female i have. Is consistent on milk and calves have sold well for us. I am sure the Simmi folks could tell you what lines would work with your Target bull.
Terminal sires- if she is straigt off rear look cautious at terminal sires. Lots of them are. Unstoppable amazingly was one we really found versatile for clubbier bred bull. I am NOT a walks' alone fan. and I like going back old school now and then. HEat Seeker and WMW. WMW is not gonna give you mass but will make them pretty and clean fronted. MAB seems to have been a popular choice. I just haven't made myself buy it with all that shoulder. I like Monopoly too. He seems to be closest thing to his father. I love my shorthorns- So there are lots of lines that could work with her and bring some flex to those rear legs and not loose any body. Our best steer prospects were Jazz x maine, Jazz x Char. Char is another way to go. Old stand by Alia's, etc. Just study the bulls and if you have the chance find their videos.
but as I say.....just an opinion. We are natually breeding to a Bushy Park maine bull this year due to my health issues. Tank full of semen, I will try and get some in this season.

mark tenenbaum

OH Breeder said:
Dale L said:

So here are my humble opinions....
I am not a simmi breeder. BUT I did use Macho on a WMW cow and it has been one of my most maternal female lines we have ever had. Macho WMW to Dream On love moderate female i have. Is consistent on milk and calves have sold well for us. I am sure the Simmi folks could tell you what lines would work with your Target bull.
Terminal sires- if she is straigt off rear look cautious at terminal sires. Lots of them are. Unstoppable amazingly was one we really found versatile for clubbier bred bull. I am NOT a walks' alone fan. and I like going back old school now and then. HEat Seeker and WMW. WMW is not gonna give you mass but will make them pretty and clean fronted. MAB seems to have been a popular choice. I just haven't made myself buy it with all that shoulder. I like Monopoly too. He seems to be closest thing to his father. I love my shorthorns- So there are lots of lines that could work with her and bring some flex to those rear legs and not loose any body. Our best steer prospects were Jazz x maine, Jazz x Char. Char is another way to go. Old stand by Alia's, etc. Just study the bulls and if you have the chance find their videos.
but as I say.....just an opinion. We are natually breeding to a Bushy Park maine bull this year due to my health issues. Tank full of semen, I will try and get some in this season.///-HOWZ ABOWT SUM PICTURES WHEN U GET SOME CALVES-I LIKE OTHER BREEDS TOO-good post JMO O0

Bradenh

Alias and who made who are the top 2 bulls on the list I wouldn't use if I wanted to be safe saving the integrity of back legs- both bulls work but not if you are already concerned about her wheels.

Telos

I really liked the two Purebred Simmental bull champions at the recent NWSS. I personally would take a chance on either one of them (on just about any type of cow). They had the best and deepest foot design of all the other breed champions plus a super look.

mark tenenbaum

Telos said:
I really liked the two Purebred Simmental bull champions at the recent NWSS. I personally would take a chance on either one of them (on just about any type of cow). They had the best and deepest foot design of all the other breed champions plus a super look/// I havent seen them posted-but they are really becoming one of the most "IMPROVED" breeds-along with the Maines and Herefords JMO-And the few ive seen on shorthorns and so-on: really looked great when it worked. O0

Dale L

Thanks to all for the suggestions and info on all the different bulls.