Which bull?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dvrom

Which bull should i use on a jpj heifer, i have these bulls to pick from: SULL GNCC SALUTE, AF SL SIN CITY, ACE OF DIAMANDS, HD SWAGGER, and SONNY DUECE.

justintime

Dvrom said:
Which bull should i use on a jpj heifer, i have these bulls to pick from: SULL GNCC SALUTE, AF SL SIN CITY, ACE OF DIAMANDS, HD SWAGGER, and SONNY DUECE.

I agree with Romax. If you like your heifer and like yourself, I would be using a different calving ease sire. Your heifer will make a better cow and there will be lots of time to use any of the sires you listed, once she has her first calf and develops more. There are several good choices for use on heifers and using one of them to breed your heifer(s) is one of the best investments you can make

Dvrom

ROMAX said:
I don't think any of them are reccomended for use on heifers
I agree entirely but thats all that i will have acess to because they couldnt get us the semen we wanted because he wasnt producing good. so thats what i am left with because we are taking out cidrs and cant get semen from other places in time.

Dvrom

mark tenenbaum said:
Youd better use some angus or whatever you can get-a bull like Salute could be a side exit on a hiefer-look at the EPDS and use common sense O0
i knew not to use salute i put him in there as a sarcastic pick.

justintime

Dvrom said:
ROMAX said:
I don't think any of them are reccomended for use on heifers
I agree entirely but thats all that i will have acess to because they couldnt get us the semen we wanted because he wasnt producing good. so thats what i am left with because we are taking out cidrs and cant get semen from other places in time.

I guess if I was in this situation, I would seriously consider letting this heifer cycle without breeding her, and short cycle her when you get semen from a calving ease sire and breed her then. Breeding her to  a sire that could potentially adversely affect her for the rest of her productive life, because the choices of semen you have at this time are limited, just isn't a good enough reason to breed her. I know of people who have used all of these sires on heifers and had no or very few calving issues, but you are probably playing with fire.

Ace of Diamonds on a JPJ heifer would work out alright I bet. If you absolutely have to breed her this go-round that's what I'd do...

chambero

It shouldn't take more than a phone call or two to find someone with calving ease Angus semen close to someone in any part of the country.

Dvrom

chambero said:
It shouldn't take more than a phone call or two to find someone with calving ease Angus semen close to someone in any part of the country.
I only have a small herd that i need to build up so i am trying to get as many shorty calves as possible. If i were to let her recycle what bull would you pick to breed her?

jaimiediamond

chambero said:

I have to agree for the most part...

I realize that the Shorty heifer bulls thread is full of cow pucky per say and random rants but there are photos of some other options and I will attach the most recent Shorthorn heifer bull list.  There are a few of the bulls available at cattle visions.  I have attached a direct link to a bull that I would consider in your situation http://www.cattlevisions.com/Shorthorn/329.php

Attachments

• 04252011 Shorty Heifer Bulls.pdf
    267.2 KB · Views: 142

mark tenenbaum

The Rs Bull will work-so will: HC Touchdown,Elbee Leader(Wymore @ $20 per straw),Arsulu Osage,Muirdale Buster(red bull) Capt Obvious,etc-ALL ARE AVAIL-from Cattle Visions or Genetic Horizens-and ALL will sire a quality-showy calf-with Touchdown and Osage-probably being the fanciest,and certainly the higher performers-(they are bigger among other things)-Elbee-being the most unique and recognizable- HIP-And general shape-etc,you cant miss em. O0