Which bulls will work best???

Help Support Steer Planet:

show box

We have a small herd of registered angus cows, fairly typical -- final answer, myty in focus,freightliner,northern improvement.  Moderate framed, clean fronted good udders, but are frustrated with the limited angus bull market we have.  Typically if you do not have a great one you have a limited heifer market.  So we tend to just sell stocker calves.  Our herd tends to grow because we keep the heifers and are looking to become better marketers and move into the club calf market.  Are we better to start we a main cross first then do a simi cross on that F1  or do we do a 4 way cross on our angus cows right off the bat.  I'm excited about all of the opportunities etc and all of that.  I know some one has been there and has tried all of these thoughts.  so if someone could be a friend and help me out it would e very helpfull.  thank you in advance and Merry Christmas to all

advocate

I would recomend a simmy cross on half with bulls like dreamcatcher or grandmaster and a main cross on the others using some irish whiskey and ali lines we have had great luck with both simxangus and mainexangus cows but I would use both as a base and keep most of the clubby stuff out as far as making cows goes. Also aftershock or macho or one of the whiplash brothers would also give you a good base to work from

show box

Thank you, very much appreciated.  How big in weight and frame score do dream catcher or ali cows get at maturity. 

advocate

I would say they would be average sized not huge not small around a 5 or 6 frame