Which clubby shorthorn bull to use on these commercials?

Help Support Steer Planet:

COWgirls

Searched older posts, but have resorted to starting a new thread.

Have 2 commercials who just delivered their first Rocky Balboa calves unassisted.  Bred that way for calving ease.  Mission accomplished.  Looking now to change gears and breed them both to a clubby shorthorn.  One is a Carnac daughter and the other a Starpower daughter.  Suggestions for what will work with these are appreciated.

kfacres

need more info <beer>  plenty of options...  do you care about TH and PHA status?  Is color important?  Are you shooting for blues?  Are you wanting strictly clubby, or something that might work for a keeper heifer?

COWgirls

the truth said:
need more info <beer>  plenty of options...  do you care about TH and PHA status?  Is color important?  Are you shooting for blues?  Are you wanting strictly clubby, or something that might work for a keeper heifer?

Prefer TH and PHA free.  Blues would be nice, but color is not not really a hang up.  Clubby preferred this go around.  Hope to produce something worthy of being shown in a bred/owned class by our kiddos.  Somewhat new to this, so if you need more info please let me know.

J

JTM

I'm just going to throw a couple out there. We got along good with ALM Chiller on a lot of things. Also, the new Metro bull of Agle's is very hairy and fancy.

kfacres

Are you two heifers genetic free? I don't know anything about carnac, nor do I about the bottom side of the Simi...

Wildside is a bull I rec highly, we used a son of him last year (I'd reccommend him if we had semen, or he wasn't dead.) 
The Fringe bull looks neat, as well as Free 4 All. 

I think ole Double Stuff is the go to guy though.. He is double dirty.. but it's the route I'd go on double clean cows that were geared towards making a show steer. 

mark tenenbaum

RS After Hours-on either the cows-or thier first calves-one of the few true commercial shorthorn bulls that makes em clubby  thick-along with the rest CE Clean etc.K-Kim has the semen-check out thier last 2-3 sales O0

showsteerdlux

the truth said:
Are you two heifers genetic free? I don't know anything about carnac, nor do I about the bottom side of the Simi...

Wildside is a bull I rec highly, we used a son of him last year (I'd reccommend him if we had semen, or he wasn't dead.) 

I think ole Double Stuff is the go to guy though.. He is double dirty.. but it's the route I'd go on double clean cows that were geared towards making a show steer. 
Carnac is THC PHAF so you could have a potential THC on the one heifer.

COWgirls

showsteernc said:
the truth said:

Since the original post, we've had a friend offer us some 4D Double Vision.  Since it's free semen, we're considering using it on the Starpower heifer since Starpower is TH free.  Double Vision is a TH carrier and as stated above Carnac is, too.  So that mating is out.  Do you see anything wrong with the Double Vision /Starpower mating?

We've also spent alot of time looking at the suggestions thus far for the Carnac heifer.  Many thanks.  I'm pretty sure we're gonna use Fringe.    <cowboy>

OH Breeder

COWgirls said:
showsteernc said:
the truth said:

Since the original post, we've had a friend offer us some 4D Double Vision.  Since it's free semen, we're considering using it on the Starpower heifer since Starpower is TH free.  Double Vision is a TH carrier and as stated above Carnac is, too.  So that mating is out.  Do you see anything wrong with the Double Vision /Starpower mating?

We've also spent alot of time looking at the suggestions thus far for the Carnac heifer.  Many thanks.  I'm pretty sure we're gonna use Fringe.    <cowboy>

YOu are correct that Carnac is a TH carrier. My only question is since the cows are commercial do you know if the other side of their genes? The starpower sire is clean but do you know what is in the momma of that heifer. before I would use a double dirty sire I would want to know if there were any chance of defects. Heck of alot cheaper than a c-section.
Now, Double Vision is one of the clubby shorty sires that has made some great shorthorn steers. Sin City on the right cows works good might throw you a blue roan. 20/20 Vision and Double Stuff all were clubby shorthorns but all are carriers. Steermaker is older but makes some nice shorthorns steers. Major Impact is another one.

sh breeder

I have a white shorthorn he was grand champion shorthorn at the 2009 Neb state fair
He is J&J Stfter 13U he was fall born so we only had 1 calf bye him last summer and he weaned off at 680#  and had a 82# bw
But i will be get now at the need of Jan. with ai cavles then  march we will be getting pasture bred cavles sorry no pic now he has been on lease to another breeder since July