Which Habanero son makes the best females?

Help Support Steer Planet:

nck21

I have a couple Laredo daughters that are good looking cows. He's probably one of the least popular Habanero sons. How about Kadabra, Jazz, Lifeline and others?

AAOK

I used Kadabra sparingly, but had a Maintainer cow (FR Magic daughter) that clicked with him everytime; fantastic heifers and bulls.

Joe Boy

I like the Lifelines but have not had any Kadabra heifers.  I have had good Jazz cows but some were large and had big calves, and a one I did not like the way she walked.  That could have been the dam's problem as she was not my cow and I never saw the cow but bought the bred heifer.  She never has a big calf, milkes well and raises a great calf every year.

chambero

I had worse structure problems with Kadabra than any bull I've ever used.  That said, I have two nice calves out of him that just had their second calves.  Each of the four total calves were at least in the probably in the top 25% of our overall calf crop.  Both cows and everyone of their calves have all had that curly Kadabra hair which I don't like.

We've got two Lifeline sons as herd bulls (out of Angus cows).  We just calved out the first set of heifers out of those two bulls and those females are looking to be top notch.

Alpha

has any one every used this guy K&A Spice his is a habanero son

Attachments

• K&ASpice74S.jpg
    K&ASpice74S.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 385

hart

I have heard the Lifeline cows are not easy keepers. Has anyone had an issue with this?  I really like what I'v seen of his offspring but would like to get other's thoughts.

Telos

I saw Laredo when he was Reserve Grand at the National Maine show in Fort Worth. He is a moderated framed bull with tremendous volume. He has thrown some nice calves for Sidwell's. I'll have to agree with Chambero on the Kadabra's, but he is capable of throwing a good one. He's just not very consistant with the structure. That curly hair is definitely a Habanero trait and is impossible to work with.

nck21

Laredo seems to increase frame a tad bit. His daughters are maternal and good natured. More people should use him...there's semen @ SEK.

xxcc

i've seen marketing claims that Laredo is homo black, homo solid...is there any truth to that?

I think the Kadabra calves I had were the most lethargic calves I've ever had born from my herd.  I've seen Charolais that were more spunky.  I was disappointed.  I was told that he'll make them 'small'.  I guess if you use them on 'small' cows.  Mine were out of large framed cows and ended up with lots of leg.

I saw a bull once out of a lifeline cow sired by a hotline x legacy plus bull.  he was the shortest, thickest bull I have ever seen.  sterile as a stone. i was surprised he was that short for hotline and legacy plus because some of the largest framed bulls i have ever seen were from those two bulls.  it all tells me that one needs good cows, i guess, hence the beginning of this thread.

what is the udder structure of most of these cattle?  i was once told that pistol pete bloodline could be very long teated.

SPL

I haven't used Kadabra in the last couple years, but he has always been good for me on heifers.  Conception rates were excellent, and the calves were always marketable.  Steers did usually run into some structural problems as they reached market weight, but the heifers have always been pretty sound.  That being said, those heifers have turned into some of the better producing cows we've got.  They work very well in a variety of different breeding scenarios, Heat Wave or sons, purebred Maine, and Angus.

SHAGGY

Like i said before we loved our kadabra's but you probably need to breed him to something smaller framed. This bull is not a Habanero son but out of a habanero cow that i bet is going to work well, BNWZ GUCCI