Which one is best? A weeks chores at stake

Help Support Steer Planet:

Which one do you like the best?

• Total voters

dutch pride

We purchased two steers this fall. My son and wife like one the best and I like the other one. Please weigh in on your opinions as to which you like best and why. The winner after a week will have to do chores for the loser for a week. The all black calf is 5 weeks older than the white socks calf so please do not consider their difference in size.

Thanks and please do not have to consider yourself an expert to give an opinion.

DLZ

dutch pride

Hope it works this time; I am too old for all this new technology.

DLZ

Attachments

• Vegas side view.jpg
    Vegas side view.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 533
  • Vegas rear view.jpg
    Vegas rear view.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 519
  • 14 side view.jpg
    14 side view.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 517
  • 14 rear view.jpg
    14 rear view.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 522

OH Breeder

The black calf by picture looks tick smaller. Maybe it is just the photo.
I think they both have their strengths. I think your white socked calf is going to be larger framed than the black one. I do not know the breeding of course on either, but, from the looks of pictures. My immediate picture is the all black calf. I think he is going to be a nice fat steer.

frostback

I am going to have to go with the black as well. Think he may have straighter lines and is not so bold in the front end. He has a bit more leather up front but that could be sweat off some. Like his back leg set better too. Good luck with both.

shortdawg

I think the all black calf will be better in the end. He's a little squarer in the hip, a little more spring in the rib and probably has the most potential to be a sounder fat steer than the other one.

Show Dad

IMHO - My vote is for the white socks steer. He has the better structure of the two and plenty of the hair most like. (frame x muscle = mass)

Black is a little toe out on the right hind foot. For 5 weeks older he has less muscle in the hip.

farmboy

Right now the all black one owns the socks but the socks looks like he'll be one of those that gets better the closer you get to fair. A good steer dosent go out and whip everything in winter then win it all next summer as a fat steer...I really like em both anywayz, voted for sock s though

dutch pride

The results for the chores duty will be based on the steer planet poll. My son will be showing them at the Michigan Winter Classic so I will be able to give you those results in Dec. although they will probably not complete head to head due to different weight.

Keep those opinions coming!!!!!!

jimmyski

As of right now, I would say that I like the White Socked calf just a little more. In the pictures, he looks a little more correct in his angles and looks like he should hold up better in the long run. Part of this could be do to how you have them standing in the picture, but the black one looks just a little to straight off of both ends for me. The black calf is a little bit straighter in his topline and leveler from hooks to pins which is good, however he's defintiely shorter and more plain through his front end and as of right now without being able to see him move, I would say that he concerns me more structurally than does the white socked calf. Should be a couple of nice feeder and fat calves for you though.

Rocky Hill Simmental

They both look great but I had to chose the white socks. For being so much younger he really has a better hindquarter. I do like the solid black one's side view better because he looks more level in his top. But then again, I also like the way the one with socks' neck. A lot of times the high necks really grab your attention. But overall on show steers hindquarter will rule out almost anything else so I have to chose the black one with white socks.

However, I think if you sold them at a regular cattle auction the solid black one would bring more just because of the fact he's solid black. I once had a feedlot buyer tell me he wouldn't give as much for a calf with socks because he claims they have holstein in them (even if you can tell they were mostly simmi or hereford). If you are selling them after a show remember that if they have to go through a resale.

Either way both look great. Good luck with showing them both.  :)

CAB

Not above taking a bribe if the voting is close, :eek:, just cking. I vote for the B & W calf.

xkrushx

Black and white. He may not do good early but will be a ton better than the other come next summer. Let me know if you need a back-up steer, from michigan as well...

dutch pride

xkrushx said:
Black and white. He may not do good early but will be a ton better than the other come next summer. Let me know if you need a back-up steer, from michigan as well...

Xkrushx;  we have one too many steers as it is, thanks for the offer. Someone will get some good freezer beef next summer. Going to Winter Classic?

CPL

The black one by far. Due to the pixels it makes it a little blurred. Another tip, try photographing the sockie going slightly up hill.

The sockie has a clean front, but looks to be a bit pinched in the heart girth. He is also a bit high in the flank. His top and hip worry me a tad. Also as someone said his hind legs look a bit weird, but that could change in a different photo.

The totally black steer is very nice. Thick is a word about him. Deep in his heart girth and flank with a strong top and hip looks good. I also seem to like his muscle pattern more at this time.

Good luck with both of them. I think the sockie will fill out, but I doubt he will grow into the quality that the totally black steer will be.

xkrushx

Yea we usually make it up to the winter show in december. They cut the prize money back a lot which stinks but they also increased the weight limit to 900 lbs. so who knows what is gonna show up now.

xkrushx