first set are by sooner
06-NWSS-RGC-Maine-Jr.jpg

ENERGIZER
THE MAN
                  FJD PLAYMATE 7051G

LEGACY PLUS
FJH COUNTESS 451M
                MISS ANCHOR BAR 15F

full sib embroys of WCC Gold Mine(pictured)
lifeline-son.jpg

HABANERO
LIFELINE
                        MISS PURSUIT DETT 95F
                        WYOMING WIND
JES MISS WYO WIND J349
                        PB CHAROLAIS

which set would be better??

DLD

Well, I guess it depends on what you're wanting... the first are obviously pb Maine's. best for (MA) show heifer or pb seedstock production, while the others would be better for trying to raise show steers or clubbier type show heifers or seedstock. Realizing they would still be Maintainers, I see them as a little more intruiging, for me anyway, but everybody will have their own thoughts on this one.

knabe

first one has universe 15 everywhere, get her tested.  she has holstein in her, capone crossed on angus, cunia, so she should have some milk.  if you like her depth and soundness, i would breed her to a bull like tlm bouncer or scooby doo for clubby look and still maintain reasonable percentage, or just clubby bull.  more flexibility on this one. probably more predictable than the below heifer who probably has a lot more variability in her genetic makeup.  could also throw a pha free draftpick type bull on her as she hasn't had that thrown at her yet (unless you consider universe 15 draftpick) and she has legacy plus in her.  to me, pedigree wise, she is perfect for a smithbuilt line bull.

the second one is straight club and might be more variable in what you get.  i'd like a good pic of her feet, she looks a little straight through the hocks, though has decent reach in her stifle.  would like to see her shoulder lay in a lot flatter, she has clean jowl, neck, from her makeup i would really like to see if she could walk in her tracks, nice hair.  i'd like to see her not fitted and see how she is from her hooks to her shoulder.  repeating for emphasis, i would like to see this one walk.

pigguy

knabe said:
first one has universe 15 everywhere, get her tested.  she has holstein in her, capone crossed on angus, cunia, so she should have some milk.  if you like her depth and soundness, i would breed her to a bull like tlm bouncer or scooby doo for clubby look and still maintain reasonable percentage, or just clubby bull.  more flexibility on this one. probably more predictable than the below heifer who probably has a lot more variability in her genetic makeup.  could also throw a pha free draftpick type bull on her as she hasn't had that thrown at her yet (unless you consider universe 15 draftpick) and she has legacy plus in her.  to me, pedigree wise, she is perfect for a smithbuilt line bull.

the second one is straight club and might be more variable in what you get.  i'd like a good pic of her feet, she looks a little straight through the hocks, though has decent reach in her stifle.  would like to see her shoulder lay in a lot flatter, she has clean jowl, neck, from her makeup i would really like to see if she could walk in her tracks, nice hair.  i'd like to see her not fitted and see how she is from her hooks to her shoulder.  repeating for emphasis, i would like to see this one walk.
where did you find holstien at on the first?? the set of embroys are by sooner?? and the second will be full sibs to the bull pictured.

Jill

knabe said:

The her on the 2nd one is a he

knabe

through caqui (8) through country line, but don't worry about that, it's a long time ago, and epinal is in there noted for milk.  sorry assuming the stinking bull was a heifer on the second one, too busy chasing the pedigree's, comments still hold though.  thanks for clarifying on sooner.  i would buy this one hands down.  limited edition is a carrier i think, and sooner, a direct son, is not.  i think these embryo's could be pricey.  telos, look at this.  make sure you call them about similar matings and what they got.  to me, this is a magic cross based on pedigree alone.

pigguy

ok where can i find sooner at i have looked at all the places i cna think of and came up with nothin?? thanks a bunch

knabe

here you go

http://www.zwtranch.com/referencesires.html#SLC_Sooner_101M              no pic there.

i would bid on those against/with you if i didnt' have something else going on.  limited edtition is supposedly a very free moving bull, xxcc says he can throw low milk, so i would ask about that before purchase on similar breedings.  there's some milk like i said in the dam, but still, you could get some variability.  ask to ensure this just isn't a mating that didn't produce that.  everything is for sale for a reason.  if he produces low and high milk, he could be segregating for those genes, which means he's not fixed for that, and combined with a dam who you don't know is fixed for that, you could come out on the short end.

knabe

here's a similar mating

http://www.cattlesalepage.com/hartman/bottomchgid.php

scroll down to  3,4

not sure what the prices brought, the sale was dec 10 2006.

itk

You have to go with #1. Big Jim is standing behing the calf how can you go wrong.

Jill

If I remember right, Jim was the judge, the hiefer pictured sold in Weber's sale to Salton Cattle Company and Larry Nielsen and a partner from around Springfield.  If you don't get the embryo's bought, you might try contacting one of the other owners if you really want that mating.

OH Breeder

The way I see it is these matings are on opposite. You have a purebred or a Clubby bred. Not anything wrong with either. But, what is your focus?

pigguy

both. i am trying to start a club calf herd, but right now i am starting out with 10 maine heifers, 6 clubby, and the other 4 breeding. and then i have 13 simmy and angus cross cows/heiers. but if i get a club calf great if not i will show it as a breeding heifer